$5.00
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

This game is amazing, and very little cases require even checking the rules, even less not clarified in the rules. I got a few I think though

Eva:

Eva has Spike as a boost in play (+1 Armor, +3 Guard). She hits on a Strike and goes first, but her opponent is not stunned. Her Characters's power says After: return a boost to your hand. When the opponent attacks, is the armor annd boost still there?

On one hand, it's not in play anymore, so that makes sense that it is not counted. But the wording on continuous boosts in the rules says "enhances your next attack". So is the +1 Armor and +3 Guard already applied on the attack, and once resolved the attack has the bonuses, regardless of what happens to the boost card during the Strike?

Heidi:

So the Heidi questions are always around the edge cases of "Play" vs "Resolve" on Boosts, as they apply to Continuous Boosts with an effect that resolves right away.

- Mechanical Genius (Discard -> Play (doesn't count as resolve)) targeting SturmWaffe (Move 1-2 spaces, +2 Speed). Do I move 1-2 spaces? I get that I draw a card off Heidi's ability on Mechanical Genius and not Sturmwaffe, but do I move?

- One step further, same scenario targeting Iron Grit (You can't take more than 4 damage, and Strike). Do I Strike now?

- Rail Driver's Hit (At the end of Strike, Play a Boost). Same questions, Do I Move or Strike along the continuous boosts? I could even Mech Genius, into he same options in the discard What then?

- Hit Dagger Storm (Top 3 cards, play any continuous boosts without paying). If we hit Sturmwaffe or Iron Grit, do I Move/Strike? If so, when, if the opponent is not stunned. Strike-ception? Even MORE brain-baking, what if I flip a Guard+Armor boost in this case? It says Play a boost, and in the rules, playing a boost says it enhances your NEXT attack. This seems to be a complete mirror of Eva's question on top. If Eva keeps her bonus, the bonus here can't be counted. If Eva loses her bonus, this situation would apply the bonus (which would give Heidi the bonus of armor and guard twice).

That's it for now I really don't think the rules fully answer those things without ambiguity, but if so, let me know where. If not, I'd really like a Brad Talton ruling on those

Cheers!

This game might just be the best thing since sliced bread. Keep the seasons coming, and if you ever get to create a set based on RWBY, I might just explode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the game!

Here are some answers down below...
Masterdo wrote:

Eva has Spike as a boost in play (+1 Armor, +3 Guard). She hits on a Strike and goes first, but her opponent is not stunned. Her Characters's power says After: return a boost to your hand. When the opponent attacks, is the armor annd boost still there?

On one hand, it's not in play anymore, so that makes sense that it is not counted. But the wording on continuous boosts in the rules says "enhances your next attack". So is the +1 Armor and +3 Guard already applied on the attack, and once resolved the attack has the bonuses, regardless of what happens to the boost card during the Strike?

Eva's effect is optional, so it may be best to leave the card in play in this case. Once you return it to your hand, it's no longer in-play any longer.

Masterdo wrote:

Heidi:

So the Heidi questions are always around the edge cases of "Play" vs "Resolve" on Boosts, as they apply to Continuous Boosts with an effect that resolves right away.

- Mechanical Genius (Discard -> Play (doesn't count as resolve)) targeting SturmWaffe (Move 1-2 spaces, +2 Speed). Do I move 1-2 spaces? I get that I draw a card off Heidi's ability on Mechanical Genius and not Sturmwaffe, but do I move?

Yes, you still do the 'right now' effects when the boost comes into play.

Masterdo wrote:

- One step further, same scenario targeting Iron Grit (You can't take more than 4 damage, and Strike). Do I Strike now?

Yes, this works the same way.

Masterdo wrote:

- Rail Driver's Hit (At the end of Strike, Play a Boost). Same questions, Do I Move or Strike along the continuous boosts? I could even Mech Genius, into he same options in the discard What then?

Masterdo wrote:

- Hit Dagger Storm (Top 3 cards, play any continuous boosts without paying). If we hit Sturmwaffe or Iron Grit, do I Move/Strike? If so, when, if the opponent is not stunned. Strike-ception? Even MORE brain-baking, what if I flip a Guard+Armor boost in this case? It says Play a boost, and in the rules, playing a boost says it enhances your NEXT attack. This seems to be a complete mirror of Eva's question on top. If Eva keeps her bonus, the bonus here can't be counted. If Eva loses her bonus, this situation would apply the bonus (which would give Heidi the bonus of armor and guard twice).

You can't strike (any effect that causes a new strike during a strike fails to resolve), but you would get to move the 1-2 spaces on Sturmwaffe. Continuous Boosts that are put in play will affect both Dagger Storm and your next attack (since they stay in play).

The more all-inclusive rule would probably be worded "During a strike, all continuous boosts in your in-play area provide their bonuses and triggers to that strike." It's just easier to explain it as "next strike" since you don't usually play boosts mid-strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterdo wrote:
This game might just be the best thing since sliced bread. Keep the seasons coming, and if you ever get to create a set based on RWBY, I might just explode.

Still my current favourite tabletop fighting game. Yomi and BattleCON allow for differences in how you play a character, but no other game allows you to have a personal play style like Exceed. This is what I love the most, makes this the closest representation of a fighting game on your table top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the game!

You can't strike (any effect that causes a new strike during a strike fails to resolve), but you would get to move the 1-2 spaces on Sturmwaffe. Continuous Boosts that are put in play will affect both Dagger Storm and your next attack (since they stay in play).

The more all-inclusive rule would probably be worded "During a strike, all continuous boosts in your in-play area provide their bonuses and triggers to that strike." It's just easier to explain it as "next strike" since you don't usually play boosts mid-strike.

Thanks for the answers! Small follow up then (Edit: will leave the question up, but you did word it perfectly so it is already answered, sorry) what if Dagger Storm flips some +Power, does it still affect this hit? Given that checking for damage is the last step in the Strike order, I would now take the guess that it does.

Rook96 wrote:

Still my current favourite tabletop fighting game. Yomi and BattleCON allow for differences in how you play a character, but no other game allows you to have a personal play style like Exceed. This is what I love the most, makes this the closest representation of a fighting game on your table top.

Nice analysis. I think what strikes me the most is how much of a card game Exceed is. Tempo, card advantage, hand reading, all card game concepts apply to it so well. I like Yomi as well, and I have to give BattleCON another try (and I will), but none of them are really card games in the same way Exceed is.

And to have that, AND be an amazing fighting game, is just so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
What about strikes generated from boosts and the end of turn card draw?

Examples:

Focus boost generates a strike, do you draw the card at end of turn? (Your action was boost, not strike).

Lily's 3 cost boost that draws you 6 cards and then strikes, similarly only strikes through the boost. Do you draw a card at end of turn? Since your action was strike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
If a boost causes you to strike for any reason you do not draw a card at the end of the turn for taking an action. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Some Heidi card drawing questions.

My assumption is that most of her "play a free boost" triggers also trigger her "resolve a boostraw a card" ability, but I might be incorrect?

These are my assumptions:

Iron Knuckle:

Boost targeting mechanical genius, get a continuous boost from discard. My assumption is that the mechanical genius returns to your hand, and you draw a total of 1 card (from the Iron Knuckle boost).

Iron Knuckle 2:

I am assuming you don't have to pay the cost on the other effect, so if you Switchbox a Disruption Beam, you won't have to pay the 2 force.

Dagger Storm:

I am assuming on both of these that their "Play a boost for free" functionality triggers Heidi's card draw on each of them. So the normal draws you one card (assuming you use the play a free boost effect) and the Drei Install will draw you a variable number of cards equal to the number of continous boosts you play.

Are any of my rulings incorrect?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

See below link for another thread discussing Heidi's ability.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1589482/heidi-character-abi...

I will look at each question individually.

Quote:

Iron Knuckle:

Boost targeting mechanical genius, get a continuous boost from discard. My assumption is that the mechanical genius returns to your hand, and you draw a total of 1 card (from the Iron Knuckle boost).

Heidi's core ability reads "Whenever Heidi resolves a Boost, she draws a card". Switchbox on Iron Knuckle reads "Reveal a non-Continuous Boost from your hand and perform its effects". In this case, resolving a Boost is completing the text within the Boost. So in the case of Switchbox, regardless of which Boost you select, you are only resolving one Boost because you are resolving Switchbox text and not necessarily the text of the Boost you choose. Even if you technically do three boosts by using Switchbox and choosing Mechanical Genius, then choosing a third boost, it all happens within Switchbox's effect. So one card is correct, plus the one card for doing a Boost (if it did not trigger a Strike).

Quote:
Iron Knuckle 2:

I am assuming you don't have to pay the cost on the other effect, so if you Switchbox a Disruption Beam, you won't have to pay the 2 force.

Spot on. Nasty, isn't it? Try Tech and Backstep for extra cheesiness.

Quote:
Dagger Storm:

I am assuming on both of these that their "Play a boost for free" functionality triggers Heidi's card draw on each of them. So the normal draws you one card (assuming you use the play a free boost effect) and the Drei Install will draw you a variable number of cards equal to the number of continous boosts you play.

Correct. I played it the other way because I thought it was too strong. But it is intentional as per the link I posted above. So go for broke drawing 3 cards with +3 Power, Armor and Guard (if you are lucky).

So three out of three all correct.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.