Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 2 Player Strategy: Seeking Help/Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt casey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I just got Caverna and have played it three times with the Introductory layout. Either she's a natural Caverna pro or we don't understand or maybe both because I've lost all three. She of course goes for crops and farm animals while I've tried ore mining and expeditions. I've changed it up a bit each time to see what works.

So far it seems (if we've actually played according to the rules) that there's a huge disadvantage to ore mining/expeditioning when compared to the crop and animal path in a 2 player Introductory setup. I don't know if we properly understand the "Slash-and-burn" action space. Either I'm thick or it's not extremely well defined but based on our understanding a player can acquire two grains and two vegetables to sow every time the space is visited. My gf repeatedly hits this one as its like printing money.

Next time we're going to use the advanced furnishings and I'm hoping that tiles like "mining cave" and "miner" might give me what I've been missing. I did much better tonight but she still beat me 79-70. I had 4 dwarves, 3 ore mines, main storage, ore storage (42/2=21), and working cave. Any thoughts on what to try differently? I don't have a problem losing some games but 3-5 times consecutively and it's beginning to get old if ya know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to already have the grains and the veggies in your supply to be able to plant them - you don't acquire them for free with this action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're doing slash and burn wrong. You can sow in up to four fields. All the fields need to be completely empty before the action. You can sow exactly one thing in each field. Two of the four can be veggies and two of the four can be grain. You must have them already before you begin (you do not take the "seed" pieces from the supply).

After you have placed your seed pieces in the fields, you add additional pieces from the supply (add one if veggie and two if grain).

At this point those fields now contain crops and you can't sow there again until they are once again empty (via harvesting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.