Subject: So close, but yet so far. (Mission 1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As crazy as it sounds, I bought this game on a lark, figuring that I could gift it to my brother if I didn't like it. I'm generally not a fan of programmed movement games (and yet I keep buying them...) My brother is out of luck for right now. Maybe for his January birthday whistle...

I played solo, playing all four mechs.

The tutorial was simple to follow. Mission 1 was a little bit harder. Came close, but ultimately was about a turn behind. Considering at one point one of the mechs was trapped by another one for two turns, I probably made a fatal error around there.

It took several turns to get the bomb out of the school (just didn't have the movement cards), but eventually I was able to push it down the field. (That felt so much more efficient than towing.) Then it was a matter of trying not to stop where the bomb was going to have adjacent minions. Yeah, that timing was bit harder.

According to the minion kill tracker, I killed just shy of 70 minions! My pile of them just kept cycling through. It was fun to figure out combos that worked well. One of my more common errors was neglecting all forms of movement in the program. Spinning in circles and firing (ripsaw, especially, which is blocked by obstacles) doesn't work when you can't move out from behind the mech who is moving back and forth in front of you.

Another interesting tactical point was determining when/if to heal damage. Sometimes the damage worked out where it was helpful and it allowed you to focus on tweaking part of your command line that might now have been working as well.

I can definitely see how this game would be awesome with a full player count, but I still had a lot of fun myself. I'm preemptively claiming Tristana as my character should I play with a larger player count. I love the purple girly character. I do wish there was a second female character, but I understand why there wasn't. And I am happy that they did put at least the one in the game.

The radio play for the missions is a hoot. I recommend listening to it at least once.

It's going to be a week until I can get back to mission 1 for a another attempt.

End state game boards:

Corki and Heimerdinger's programs:

Tristana and Ziggs' programs:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daen Dubrulle
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
Wow, playing 4 characters all by yourself must have been a serious brain/thinking challenge.

And yeah, pushing the bomb is more effective, but it receives a damage everytime it stomps a minion. So that's why towing is safer.

I love the radioplay too. I played missions 1 and 2 yesterday and the whole group had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the report; I can't wait to get my hands on my copy of the game!

Regarding female Yordles, there's only 3 in the video game (and about 10 male), so they didn't have a huge selection to choose from. It would be kind of awesome to see a mech designed around Lulu or Poppy, though I can understand why they picked Tristana.

Tristana, Yordle Gunner

Lulu, the Fae Sorceress

Poppy, Keeper of the Hammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dubbie wrote:
Wow, playing 4 characters all by yourself must have been a serious brain/thinking challenge.

And yeah, pushing the bomb is more effective, but it receives a damage everytime it stomps a minion. So that's why towing is safer.

I love the radioplay too. I played missions 1 and 2 yesterday and the whole group had a blast.

I'm primarily a solo player (~90% of all of my gaming) where I play both with (coop) and against (competitive), so I have a lot of practice compartmentalizing character needs and other ways to streamline solo play. (I bought MvM knowing the likelihood of it being played multiplayer were in the slim to none range.)

This game is pretty streamlined, as I was able to mentally note as I was running through each program that a turn or a move would be very useful at a certain point in the program, so when the command cards were revealed, I pretty much knew what was going where right off the bat (limited resources being allocated in player order). I only overran the sand timer once (for the sand timer, I need to program those 41 seconds into my phone's timer so that I have an audio prompt) when nothing I wanted came up.

The worst part of maintenance was moving the two dozen minions on the board.

Regarding pushing vs towing, there is one path (lines up with the bomb's starting block) that has no runes on it. Given the minions' green/blue axis preference, I never ran over the minions with the bomb in that "channel" . All of its damage came from the sides.

Edit: spelling/grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Love the report; I can't wait to get my hands on my copy of the game!

Regarding female Yordles, there's only 3 in the video game (and about 10 male), so they didn't have a huge selection to choose from. It would be kind of awesome to see a mech designed around Lulu or Poppy, though I can understand why they picked Tristana.

I'm not a League player, but yep, that was my thought on why there was a limited number of female characters. There's just going to be a fight in my game group (should this ever come out) over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poppy Mech would be awesome...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever try to solo with 2 mechs. I haven't talked to anyone who has solo'd the game, but I'd assumed they would do 2 mechs if they tried.

Glad you're enjoying it regardless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
Poppy Mech would be awesome...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever try to solo with 2 mechs. I haven't talked to anyone who has solo'd the game, but I'd assumed they would do 2 mechs if they tried.

Glad you're enjoying it regardless!

I have done some soloing controlling 2 mechs, and discussed this a bit in my first impressions review I posted here on BGG.

Overall, it works fine. I think there are "meta" elements that are missing that make this game fun when doing solo, mainly the added layer of having to communicate with your teammates is gone, but otherwise it can work well and be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.