$30.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Corporate Era Fastplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Include all the Corporate Era cards and companies.

Start by setting all production values to 1.

Then after choosing your Corporation treat the set up values as additional bonuses to resource production.

This allows the Corporate Era variant to progress even faster than the Standard game and also allows players to enjoy the experience of the additional cards.

A half way alternative variant on this is to allow each player to choose just 3 resources to set to 1 before adding the Corporate bonuses.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Include all the Corporate Era cards and companies.

Start by setting all production values to 1.


That's what we did on our first three games, before we discovered that this isn't the official rule. Worked well, though, and cut down playing time, too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Young, rich and sexy wrote:
Quote:
Include all the Corporate Era cards and companies.

Start by setting all production values to 1.


That's what we did on our first three games, before we discovered that this isn't the official rule. Worked well, though, and cut down playing time, too.


We did this on our first 3-player game with standard corporate cards. Didn't realize until later that we were wrong. BUT...the game took us 5 hours to play (3-player!!!).

Have no idea where we went wrong. One problem was that one player had the corp that used Heat for Money. He NEVER raised the temp. So while both Oxygen and Ocean were maxed out, Temp was only about 1/2 way up the scale! The other player and myself worked hard to raise the temp and end the game as it dragged ON and ON! I finally ended it and won the game. The guy who never raised temp finished last.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Young, rich and sexy wrote:
Quote:
Include all the Corporate Era cards and companies.

Start by setting all production values to 1.


That's what we did on our first three games, before we discovered that this isn't the official rule. Worked well, though, and cut down playing time, too.


We did this on our first 3-player game with standard corporate cards. Didn't realize until later that we were wrong. BUT...the game took us 5 hours to play (3-player!!!).

Have no idea where we went wrong. One problem was that one player had the corp that used Heat for Money. He NEVER raised the temp. So while both Oxygen and Ocean were maxed out, Temp was only about 1/2 way up the scale! The other player and myself worked hard to raise the temp and end the game as it dragged ON and ON! I finally ended it and won the game. The guy who never raised temp finished last.


Imagine how much longer your would game have been if you used the Corporate Era cards with zero production as per the official variant.I'm guessing about 50% more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
We did this on our first 3-player game with standard corporate cards. Didn't realize until later that we were wrong. BUT...the game took us 5 hours to play (3-player!!!).


I feel compelled to ask if you were only playing 2 actions per generation? The rules say you can play 1-2 actions per turn, but any number of turns per generation. This misconception is strangely usual, but adds a LOT of game time and an anti-incentive to raise temperature and place oceans.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also took over 5 hours for my first game which was solo.

I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything in the rules but a very large part of that time was spent enjoying reading all the card options and strategising on what I could afford and how I could use them. It was a great way to spend rainy afternoon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played enough that I actually came looking to see if this had been proposed.

I like playing with +1 production in addition to the CE cards and corporations' bonuses. I think I will use this going forward when playing with 2-3 people. In 4-5 players, there are enough to press the engines so the game moves quickly without the additional +1 production.

Benefits:
* Faster goods. You 'feel less poor'. Seems like a jump to generation 3-4 which, to me, is a good thing.
* The goods are vulnerable but spendable.
* Cards that cost 'production' are playable immediately.

What I would like is comments on how this will break the balance.

What I see is:
* It shortens the game so a player who accelerates first is harder to stop.
* Late game cards can be bought earlier knowing the delay is fewer rounds.
* The milestones and awards become viable at the same time due to the shorter timeline - this isn't bad to me but it is an impact.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Raujour wrote:
I have played enough that I actually came looking to see if this had been proposed.

I like playing with +1 production in addition to the CE cards and corporations' bonuses. I think I will use this going forward when playing with 2-3 people. In 4-5 players, there are enough to press the engines so the game moves quickly without the additional +1 production.

Benefits:
* Faster goods. You 'feel less poor'. Seems like a jump to generation 3-4 which, to me, is a good thing.
* The goods are vulnerable but spendable.
* Cards that cost 'production' are playable immediately.

What I would like is comments on how this will break the balance.

What I see is:
* It shortens the game so a player who accelerates first is harder to stop.
* Late game cards can be bought earlier knowing the delay is fewer rounds.
* The milestones and awards become viable at the same time due to the shorter timeline - this isn't bad to me but it is an impact.

Another big effect would be reduced differentiation between players/corporations. Certain options become automatically available to everyone, instead of needing investment to "unlock". Could be good or bad, as a matter of taste.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.