$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Karuba» Forums » General

Subject: what do you think about people watching other players play and making a move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sang Min Kim
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
In Karuba, players are not technically playing at the same time. Some people make quick decisions and some people do not. I've got weird feelings from this a few times.

Some players clearly watch what other people do first and then make their decisions - for instance, whether to say in the board and collect more jewels or get an adventure to a temple if someone is trying to do so. If those 'monitored' players notice that, they also try to see what other people are trying to do before making their move. Then, things get ugly. People hesitate to make their move first if they feel like this can affect other players' making decision.

It doesn't happen all the time but clearly happened a few times.

What do you think about this issue? It is just me who gets awkward feelings from it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not understand if theres any real issue here. Do I look at who might get to a certain temple before me? does that perhaps change my cunning plan? I've played this game more than a few times now and the whole copy cat play" or "they'll play after me to cheat" has not ever been an actual issue in any of my games. I suspect it is more about the fox not be able to reaching the grapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its never been a problem with any games I've played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sang Min Kim
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
It tends to happen more with with fewer players and serious gamers .

Thanks guys tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always grab player screens from other games if you were overly concerned about it.

I know we had to do that for Perfect Alibi - it was too easy to glance right and see their score sheet and see something you can't unsee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of the game, just say, "Rules are that after you make your play you may then look at other's boards. Any objections?"

That's how I teach the game (minus asking for any objections.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I copy every single move of my wife's and repeat everything she says verbatim, in her accent, during play. She gets quite annoyed.

But seriously, I get your point - in reality it only take one different move to then make every move different from then on and it's 100% unlikely that two players will make all the same moves (unless I'm being a d*ck). Obviously there will be some common tricks learned as you get better which makes for good table talk of 'ooh, you're putting your crossroads there, too, eh?!' etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EVA Vanguard
msg tools
I think the rules say if it becomes a problem to the point where the players involved don't want to make a move, the oldest player must take their turn and so on down the line by age.

Edit: I saw another post, first, it's who currently has the most points must play; if that is a tie then it's decided by age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.