$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple specific interactions with clues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Lopez
Mexico
flag msg tools
First i'll point out what was happening in the game, we were playing against shub-niggurath and there was this specific mystery:

Hunting the Thousand
When a non-epic monster is defeated, the active investigator may spend 2 clues to place that monster on this card.
At the end of the mythos phase, if the total toughness of all monsters on this card is equal to or greater than twice the number of investigators. solve this mystery

Now comes the fun part, we already had a Dark Young in the board (and we belive the game only comes with one because we didn't find another) because of the reckoning (comet) effect of a cultist, and the research encounter of an investigator did and failed, said that a Dark Young ambushes him, also this investigator already had 2 clues with him.

So, with the help of some good bonuses and luck he defeats the monster, as this monster is 5 toughness it is a good option to place on the mystery card but due to the monster being an ambush, can that be done? if so what happens to the original Dark Young that was in the other space?

Second question:

Trish Scarborough has the Silver Key artifact.
The key says that you can spend 1 clue less for resolving an effect and that you also get a reroll when resolving an Other Worldly encounter.

Does this mean she can have a free reroll because of the first effect of the key ('spending' a clue to reroll) or this only counts for clues spent on mysteries and rumors?

If so can she roll 2 dice because of her ability?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First question: i am not 100% sure but i would say that if no monster token is available for the dark young, it can't be placed on the mystery. It definitely wouldnt disappear from the other space.

But if the dark young was not already on the map, you could trade it in even if you defeated it from an ambush.

Second question: yes you can spend a clue to reroll. Rerolling is the effect and the silver key lets you spend 0 clues for 1 reroll. Triss's ability would still kick in so you would reroll 2 dice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
For the first question I'd say you won't be able to use it for the mystery(sadly) - it never spawned, it sort of popped and went (whether you killed it or not). So you don't really move the already spawned Dark One from the board. I may be wrong, but that's how I understood the ambushing.

As for the second, from what I managed to dig out, you are correct. Silver key - one free reroll. And since you're spending a clue, Trish's passive should work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be surprised to learn that there's a section on Ambush in the Ref Guide. To save you the effort of looking at the rules for the game, I'll quote it here:
Quote:
If a specific Monster ambushes an investigator, do not draw a Monster token. Instead, reference the Monster’s attributes from a token that has been set aside or is on the game board
No token, no "trophy".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Nolastnamegiven
Denmark
flag msg tools
"If so can she roll 2 dice because of her ability"

If she has at least two pips in the skill that is being tested, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Ziggurat17 wrote:

Hunting the Thousand
When a non-epic monster is defeated, the active investigator may spend 2 clues to place that monster on this card.


Im going to say that you can get a pen and write 5 on a piece of paper and put it on the Mystery. Nothing happens to the original Dark Young, he was never there to ambush you. A totally different Dark Young showed up and you killed it! The Mystery has you investigate monsters you beat and you certainly beat one, so why not spend clues to investigate it and further your Mystery!

This is supported by:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1090297/ambush-do-defeated-...

If you are ambushed and you defeat a monster you are allowed to use its special effect (Goat Spawn for example). This means you defeated the monster. The Mystery says that you need to place defeated monsters on the Mystery.

"If a specific Monster ambushes an investigator, do not draw a Monster token. Instead, reference the Monster’s attributes from a token that has been set aside or is on the game board"

This supports the above as it clearly shows that you are fighting a Monster - just that you should not draw a random token to reference attributes for the fight, but rather a specific one (In this case Dark Young). The Mystery does NOT say that you have to place "Tokens" on the Mystery, the fact that the game only came with one Dark Young token does not prevent you placing a toughness 5 Monster on the Mystery - That would be very unthematic. Token's are merely references for stats - you killed the Dark Young, if you have the clues to spend you can place it on the Mystery.
I would suggest using Stamina tokens.

You would not move the other Dark Young, he minded his own business!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Lopez
Mexico
flag msg tools
leroux13 wrote:
Ziggurat17 wrote:

Hunting the Thousand
When a non-epic monster is defeated, the active investigator may spend 2 clues to place that monster on this card.


Im going to say that you can get a pen and write 5 on a piece of paper and put it on the Mystery. Nothing happens to the original Dark Young, he was never there to ambush you. A totally different Dark Young showed up and you killed it! The Mystery has you investigate monsters you beat and you certainly beat one, so why not spend clues to investigate it and further your Mystery!

The Mystery does NOT say that you have to place "Tokens" on the Mystery, the fact that the game only came with one Dark Young token does not prevent you placing a toughness 5 Monster on the Mystery

You would not move the other Dark Young, he minded his own business!


This is exactly what we did on our playthrough as it made the most sense to us.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely play it that you defeated the monster (you clearly did) and could spend the clues to advance the mystery.

And that is really good info on the Silver Key. That artifact is crazy already and getting a free reroll each round makes it even better. It never would have occurred to me to use it for free rerolls.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers could have said that if you are ambushed by a specific Monster that is not available, the ambush doesn't happen. Like, if they intended that there is only one Dark Young in existence. Or two Skeletons. Or whatever.

But since they didn't say that, I believe they are telling us that the number of these creatures is actually unlimited. So if you are ambushed by something that doesn't have an available token, the fight still happens -- you just have to look up its stats.

And since it doesn't really make sense to say, "Yes, you defeated a Dark Young, but because there's another one in San Francisco, you can't get credit for killing it. If that one in San Francisco weren't there, then you could," I would say it makes the most sense to use a piece of paper or something else to represent it on the Mystery.

Another thing I've wondered about this Mystery, though, is the effect of taking Monsters out of play while their tokens are sitting on top of the Mystery. Let's say that the Dark Young token were actually in the bag and you drew it as a random ambush. You defeat it and put its token on the Mystery. Now, for as long as that Mystery is in play, the Dark Young can't possibly show up during a Monster Surge or whatever. Is that intended? It just seems like they could have said, "Keep track of the total toughness on a piece of paper, and return all the defeated Monsters back to the bag."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Nothing to read here, move along.


randomlife wrote:
The designers could have said that if you are ambushed by a specific Monster that is not available, the ambush doesn't happen.
This situation never happens. If the ambush calls for a specific monster it's always available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
randomlife wrote:
The designers could have said that if you are ambushed by a specific Monster that is not available, the ambush doesn't happen.
This situation never happens. If the ambush calls for a specific monster it's always available.


No, I meant they could have decided that the rule would be, "If an investigator is Ambushed by a specific Monster, and the Monster is not set aside and not in the Monster bag, the Ambush does not occur." Like, if that Monster is already on the board and there are no more of them set aside or in the bag.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
randomlife wrote:
The designers could have said that if you are ambushed by a specific Monster that is not available, the ambush doesn't happen.
This situation never happens. If the ambush calls for a specific monster it's always available.


No, I meant they could have decided that the rule would be, "If an investigator is Ambushed by a specific Monster, and the Monster is not set aside and not in the Monster bag, the Ambush does not occur." Like, if that Monster is already on the board and there are no more of them set aside or in the bag.
Ah, sorry. It was a "tl;dr" on my part.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently in dialogue with Nikki on this topic, I'll provide an update once I've bottomed things out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.