The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Dol Goldur and next expnasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I completed Dol Goldur last night with just the core set on our third attempt.

Our heroes were:

Denethor, Gimli, Legolas

and

Eowyn, Aragorn and Theodred

Denethor was kidnapped which was great as we didn't miss him but once he was rescued his defensive abilities were very helpful. But I didn't get a single Lore card into play.

It was our third attempt at the scenario and all round we didn't find it quite as hard as we'd been led to believe. In fact the last stage of the quest was anti climatically easy (I'd engaged the nazgul during stage 2 and taken it out with legolas and Gimli with Citadel Plate and Dwarven Axe).Eowyn was generating so much questing that we generated the seven needed in one go, before we even had to fight the orc guards.

Anyway, next expansion - I wanted Shadow Riders or Khazad Dum and neither seems to be available in UK. Will the be printed and become available again? Any ideas when?

In the mean time what would be a good one (the shadows of Mirkwood cycle packs don't seem to be widely available either). Grateful for input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

Khazad Dum has been reprinted recently and should, hopefully, be available again soon.

As you say, the Mirkwood cycle is the natural 'next step'. I have heard some people say that these are sold out in places but I think if you shop around, and are prepared to buy packs from different stores, you should be OK.

For more general advice, see https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4/6 mirkwood expansions available here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Riders was also reprinted recently so a good time to pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I think I'll pick up the hobbit sagas and then khazad dum and black riders when they become available again. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. I just beat Dol Guldur for the first time last night, but I dipped pretty far ahead in the card pool. I was using

Haldir, Bard, & Legolas as well as Galadriel, Celeborn, & Erkenbrand

with Bard captured. It was a blast! My group did the same thing - engage Nazgul, feint, and one-shot him. Then quest for 7+ as soon as the last stage is revealed.

I have beaten it once with the core, but then I looked around and thought "Why'd they give me this Nazgul if he's not even going to come into play?" So this was the first legitimate win after about ten losses.

Anyhow, KD and Black Riders were both just reprinted a few days ago and should be showing up in stores within a week or two (if you can't find them already). Black Riders is an amazing expansion on its own, and mano-a-mano it puts KD to shame. But Khazad Dum sets you up for the rest of Dwarrowdelf, which has a great selection of quests and phenomenal player cards in the APs. It was the first set of expansions I bought so I really can't imagine playing the game without those cards (Elladan, Elrohir, Glorfindel, ....).

So if it were me, I'd try to get my hands on Return to Mirkwood and the first few APs in the Dwarrowdelf cycle, in anticipation of getting KD soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Owen
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dol Goldur is considered hard for its solo single hand experience, it gets easier the more players you add. it's also easy to forget that you can only play 1 ally per turn for the entire group until stage 3.

as others have said, the adventure packs get reprinted fairly often so just wait until they show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Another option is to place an order through your FLGS. I'm sure they all operate a little differently, but when I want to buy a sold out expansion I ask them to order it for me. They then order (or pre-order) it from their distributors and call me when they have it in hand. Saves me the shipping costs, and they have yet to fail to track down a copy of anything. It does require some patience though. That part is kind of a bummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.