Subject: (1844) - Private companies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hinko van der Boom
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Hai,
I have two questions about Private companies.

In the first auction Round the Private Companies are auctioned. In the rules is mentioned what happens with Privat Company 1 if no one wants it. The price is dropped by 5Fr. What about the other Private Companies, when no one wants it. I asume price will drop also for 5Fr.

How do you interpretate the rule about companies buying a Private Company. In the rules is mentioned (and I may interpretate it completely wrong) that a director of a company may buy a Private Company. the exact test in the rules say: Companies can only buy Private Railway companies that belong to the director of this company. I think I get confused by the word director (owner of a company) and player (may operate several companies).

How do you playes of this gae interpretate the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
hinko wrote:
In the first auction Round the Private Companies are auctioned. In the rules is mentioned what happens with Privat Company 1 if no one wants it. The price is dropped by 5Fr. What about the other Private Companies, when no one wants it. I asume price will drop also for 5Fr.

Nope. What rule seems to say that?

If subsequent privates aren't bought, the ones that have been bought operate and pay...

Quote:
How do you interpretate the rule about companies buying a Private Company. In the rules is mentioned (and I may interpretate it completely wrong) that a director of a company may buy a Private Company. the exact test in the rules say: Companies can only buy Private Railway companies that belong to the director of this company. I think I get confused by the word director (owner of a company) and player (may operate several companies).

Public companies can not buy private companies from other players that the director of that public company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Randall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Public companies can not buy private companies from other players than the director of that public company.

Wow, I would probably have completely overlooked that difference from other 18xxs I remember. (or have we been playing those wrong?) And there doesn't look to be a way to sell privates between players directly (as is explicitly allowed in at least the recent Mayfair 1830 version)?

I have yet to experience 1844 - any insight as to why it should be that way for this game compared to the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
TDRandall wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Public companies can not buy private companies from other players than the director of that public company.

Wow, I would probably have completely overlooked that difference from other 18xxs I remember. (or have we been playing those wrong?) And there doesn't look to be a way to sell privates between players directly (as is explicitly allowed in at least the recent Mayfair 1830 version)?

Relatively few 18xx restrict the purchase of privates in this way -- almost all designs from the late 1990s (there are some generational patterns).

Quote:
I have yet to experience 1844 - any insight as to why it should be that way for this game compared to the others?

Its just a way of preventing certain forms of player cooperation/collusion/exploitation that some other players feel is abusive/egregious/untoward. Mostly I see it as a stylistic thing in much the same way that 1841 allows players to directly buy/sell shares to/from other players...and yet very few to no 1841 players ever do that or even consider doing that despite the very explicit rules affordance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Its just a way of preventing certain forms of player cooperation/collusion/exploitation that some other players feel is abusive/egregious/untoward. Mostly I see it as a stylistic thing in much the same way that 1841 allows players to directly buy/sell shares to/from other players...and yet very few to no 1841 players ever do that or even consider doing that despite the very explicit rules affordance.

Rules regarding train purchases from other players' railroads are similar:
a) some games allow it any price (eg 1830)
b) some restrict such transactions to list/marked price
c) some games disallow it completely

Frequently OO games specify limits as in either (b) or even (c), like in this instance with privates.

It depends on the group, but I feel unrestricted interplayer transactions can have some substantial liablities:
- it's a big lever for sharks to manipulate chum
- there's substantial & chaotic kingmaking potential
- negotiations extend game time (esp. tedious wrangling over price)
- it can lean the game toward inter-player/group politic'ing

With a table of expert players I can see allowing this stuff freely.

We never have such a table (or, typically, any experts at all %-).

As a result we usually house-rule that inter-player transactions, where the game allows them, should occur at list/market price...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
jimb wrote:
Rules regarding train purchases from other players' railroads are similar:
a) some games allow it any price (eg 1830)

But no more than face value if a presidential contribution is involved.

Quote:
As a result we usually house-rule that inter-player transactions, where the game allows them, should occur at list/market price...

This seems too much. Too many games require more flexibility in player-to-player cooperation. For instance 1889 will frequently require one player's company to buy a 3T from another player's company (typically for $1) so that the seller can then force out a 6T and thus the diesels -- otherwise the end-game is dreary and determined by ~OR4.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hinko van der Boom
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools

Thank you clearclaw for answering my questions.

clearclaw wrote:
hinko wrote:

Nope. What rule seems to say that?

If subsequent privates aren't bought, the ones that have been bought operate and pay...

There was no rule, I just assumed it because I did not understand it right. And yes I see it know: others operate and pay, and pay ... till all money is out of the bank.

clearclaw wrote:

Quote:

Public companies can not buy private companies from other players that the director of that public company.

Yes I thought so. I also play it this way. But I find the rules not realy clear in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.