Oceanos» Forums » Rules

Subject: extra card play order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuel Rätväg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My question is if the extra card is played at the same time or after the first card.
This is important for the case when you want a base and a treasure but don't have any divers. Is it then possible to first play the base to upgrade the submarine for another diver and place it on the treasure? Or are they played at the same time thus not giving time for the diver to be placed on the treasure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You select the cards at the same time but you resolve them in order, from left to right. Place, resolve, place, resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
toinito wrote:
You select the cards at the same time but you resolve them in order, from left to right. Place, resolve, place, resolve.

I'm sorry, but this seems contradictory to the rulebook.
What I understand from the author's response is when I play two cards in the same turn, first card allowing me to upgrade (so I upgrade the Airlock and thus gain one more diver) and second card having a Treasure, I *can* place the fresh diver on the second card.

The English rulebook says, pg. 8 top:
rulebook wrote:

Note: when a player upgrades his Motor or Airlock, he receives a Fuel token or a Scuba Diver token, respectively. This new token cannot be used until the next turn.

I very much want this new answer to override the rulebook (because if so, I would win yesterday's game ), but just confirming.

Very cute game, btw. I can see how it was inspired by a bathing kid, can't wait for my son to be old enough to play it. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key part in the rules is that fuel tokens and divers gained this turn can't be used until the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Rätväg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you I missed the part that they couldn't be used until the next turn.
It makes it clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Frenyo
msg tools
Phew. That's a bit confusing.

Can we then categorically conclude that *despite what the rulebook says*, diver and fuel tokens can be used within the same turn they were acquired?

Can I then also keep an extra card (or two) with no (or one) fuel, upgrade my Motor with the first and fuel the other (two) card(s) ON THE SAME TURN?

And what then happens with a card that has BOTH an upgrade AND a treasure chest on it? Can you upgrade an empty Airlock and use the newly acquired diver to collect the treasure on the same card (and on those above it)? Or maybe this is what the rulebook wants to prohibit?

It would be great if Antoine could clarify what was meant by the rules here.

Thank You.

****** EDIT ******
Please note, there was a post just above mine by Michal Starek (myyysha) who suggested that Antoine confirmed via PM that his comment above would override the rulebookand the assumption that the tokens aren't useable on the same turn are "wrong". This post went missing (deleted?) AFTER my response had been posted, but perhaps would have helped to put mine into further perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake, the french rulebook tells the same.
In my prototype you were allow to use your diver the turn you got it...

you cannot use the fuel of course, because you already selected your cards for the current turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Frenyo
msg tools
Thank you, Antoine.
It's loads of fun!

Kind Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.