GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,175 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Actions without rewards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Müller
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
Hi,
First of all: Fantastic game!
I had one question that came up during our last play: Can you take an action without getting a bonus from it? In our concrete example, I wanted to move the train backwards into a station, so I took the action that allows me to move the train back and pay $1 for getting a certificate. However, I already had maxed out my certificates. Was I allowed to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "Yes". Because you meet the requirement. The only bonus you need to take in this game is money. (Look at page 10, Allgemeine Hinweise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demuellae wrote:
Hi,
First of all: Fantastic game!
I had one question that came up during our last play: Can you take an action without getting a bonus from it? In our concrete example, I wanted to move the train backwards into a station, so I took the action that allows me to move the train back and pay $1 for getting a certificate. However, I already had maxed out my certificates. Was I allowed to do that?

Yes, you may neglect any bonus with one exception: money (this is because moving may cost you money to opponents)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Brooks
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Aren't you also required to take scoring cards (goal cards)?

Steven Brooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbrooksfla wrote:
Aren't you also required to take scoring cards (goal cards)?
@AlexP: is this true? I.e. do you have to take an objective card?

Which reminds me of another question relevant for people with bad memory: is it allowed to check
a) my own personal discard pile
b) other players' personal discard pile
c) and maybe even my own personal draw stack (then reshuffle after checking its content)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You are obligated to take an objective card if it is part of a delivery action, as delivery actions are mandatory; not if it is part of a building action though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Which reminds me of another question relevant for people with bad memory: is it allowed to check
a) my own personal discard pile
b) other players' personal discard pile
c) and maybe even my own personal draw stack (then reshuffle after checking its content)?

Would be interested in this one, too. Since my memory is quite bad, we houseruled you may do a) and c).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Brooks
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
You are allowed to check your discards, but not your draw deck. I do not thing the rules reference the decks of other players.

Steven Brooks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbrooksfla wrote:
You are allowed to check your discards, but not your draw deck. I do not thing the rules reference the decks of other players.

Steven Brooks

Oh, you're right, it's in the rules (at the very end). Totally missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.