Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm from Belgium and like most of you know Belgium is a cycling country. We got 25 world champions (competition started in 1927) on the road.the latest of which is Tom Boonen in 2005.
And you can't talk about cycling without mentioning the famous Eddy Merckx. His record of tour victories just recently got broken by Lance Armstrong.

Another discipline in cycling is cyclo cross. This sport is dominated by my fellow countryman. Names like Sven Nijs and Bart Wellens are household names here.

So when i started boardgaming again I just had to had a game that was about cycling. I had read some great things here on the geek about it, but I wasn't too sure.

Components :

the box is medium sized. It contains :
2 quality dice
56 energy cards
22 chance cards
6 photo cards. All cards are great quality.
4 teams of 4 riders + a rider with a yellow jersey
And a big colourcoded board that has two routes depending on the race you are going to ride.
The board has some great funny artwork on it.
A german rulebook.
And a scorepad. (I guess you can use it to score close to a 100 races)

Objective :

Too score as many points as possible with all your riders in a race. So it is not just about your star in the team. Every ending position in a race scores points.

Rules :

The rules are well explained. English rules can be found here
http://boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=2735

there are basic rules for amateurs (great if you want to get a feel for the game or play with children)
In case you play with children you may opt to leave the chance cards out because they can be rather cruel to them.

advanced rules (not so hard too understand)
and professional rules. (for cycling purists or hardcore gamers)

The rules recommend that you start with the basic rules. Once you get them you can move on.

Gameplay :

Starting lineup 4P game

The rules pretty much cover how the game is played.
All I will add to it is that playing with the advanced rule set the game really feels like cycling. It does allready feel that way with the drafting in the basic rule set but adding the very cleverly thought out colour coded board into the mix lifts it to new heights.
Cobblestones have in real life parts that are more difficult to ride on. There are even some blanks in the cobblestones. Like in real life riders try to ride in the middle of the cobble stones (the highest part of the road and the best quality of stones due to less erosion) or just aside the road in the dirt.
The mountains are a killer. When climbing a mountain it is possible that you are grinded to a halt. When i watch cycling on TV these are the images that stick in my mind. And the game does a brilliant job at recreating it.

Falls (they are a part of the sport, so in the basic rules)
Breakaways (basic rules)
Cheating (professional rules)
Sprinting (professional rules)
Changing the lead (professional rules)

Possible rule clarification and chance photo card :

User npetry adresses a problem with the mass fall.
I believe that the mass fall card should read that when it occurs all riders next to that rider will fall. All riders next to these riders will fall and so on. Riders in the back can overtake only if they can place their rider one place clear while overtaking from fallen riders. (a fallen rider can influence as many as 5 places. One to his left, one to his right and three places that are behind him). Otherwise they will also fall or have to stop.

We have decided to play without the chance photocard because we feel that this has possible too much influence on the outcome of the game.If you opt to cheat under professional rules this is your choice. But facing possible disqualification at the end of the race because you threw a 7 is too harsh.

Overall :/10

I didn't expect much of this game. I could buy it cheap (12 euros) and decided to give this one a shot.
On top of that the game uses dice, so surely the game was entirely luck driven. Boy was i wrong. The dice work wonderfully well in this game. They capture the efforts put in by the riders perfectly. And there is a whole lot of strategy in the game. The placement of your riders together with the drafting rules are magnificent.

If there was ever a game to be played with non gamers who like the sport of cycling this is it.

The fun factor of this game is very high (Try reading the cards out loud in German, standstills in mountains, mass falls, breakaways)
If you like to watch cycling on tv buy this game without hesitation.If you like a game that non gamers can play buy this game. I'm surprised that this isn't mentioned as a gateway game. Because it is. Certainly so with two out of three different rulessets (basic and advanced). When a non gamer asks to play with the professional rules after a while you just know you got yourself a new gamer.

Conclusion :

Is this game even close to cycling? Yes, it is.

Is this game even close to a bicyclerace?
It is more than that. It is how I wished every race was and will be. And every race has turned out to be a classic. Suddenly a new Pantani stands up and crashes the opposition in the mountains.

I'm even thinking of ordering a few copies of this game to give away as a present. (and to have one spare)
Like I said at the beginning I believe the scorepad can be used to register something close to a 100 races. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I were to reach that number someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I'm even thinking of ordering a few copies of this game to give away as a present. (and to have one spare)

In that case you may be interested to know that the game is one of the most common games available at the Second Hand dealers in Essen.

You can buy a mint condition shrinkwrapped copy for about 20 Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

In that case you may be interested to know that the game is one of the most common games available at the Second Hand dealers in Essen.

I can order it for 12 euro . But thanks for the tip.
I'm going to Essen for the first time. Is there a day that stands out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

Yes, but he got his somewhere for 12 Euro!

LOL, JINX!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

I'm from Belgium and like most of you know Belgium is a cycling country.

Tell me about it! We strolled off the train at Brugges for our first steps in mainland Europe and nearly got cleaned up by a cyclist. You don't hear them!

Nice review - it's a great game. I like the cheating rules. How did you play the yellow jersey rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I can order it for 12 euro . But thanks for the tip.

Which is probbaly the correct price. I forgot that I paid 20 DM (not Euro) for my copy - and that was before the game was reprinted. There were a ton of copies back then, so with the new edition must the market be flooded.

Quote:
I'm going to Essen for the first time. Is there a day that stands out?

Absolutely! Thursday is much better than the other days. Not only do you still have a chance of getting some of the limited games, but there are less crowded than the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

I'm from Belgium and like most of you know Belgium is a cycling country.

Tell me about it! We strolled off the train at Brugges for our first steps in mainland Europe and nearly got cleaned up by a cyclist. You don't hear them!

Nice review - it's a great game. I like the cheating rules. How did you play the yellow jersey rules?

Well for starters the yellow jersey as explained in the rules should have been a maillot vert (green jersey).The jersey is worn by the leader of the Tour de France's points classification. It was introduced for the 1953 Tour de France. And for finishing across the finish line he is even awarded with more points.

Because the yellow jersey is something more familiar I agree with the choice to use it in the game that way. And if you're going to race stage races (a tour) the yellow jersey is the right decision.

We give a racer that at any given time has scored the most individual points the yellow jersey.
So after the first sprint a player is rewarded the yellow jersey.
After the second sprint points are added and if another player has more points he takes over the yellow jersey. If another rider equals the amount of points scored the yellow jersey doesn't change owner.
And so on.

the race ends and all points(not just the sprints) are counted. If the winner of that race also happens to have the most total scored points. He receives an extra three points for the team. (these points are the only points that don't count for an individual rider)

In the next race the rider that starts with the yellow jersey scores 2 points for the team (not individual). Points are added each time to the total of points allready scored. The player who has the most points at any given point receives the yellow jersey immediately. If the yellow jersey crosses the finish line first, he scores an extra three team points(no individual points).If another racer wins the race. The three points aren't rewarde to anyone.

The next day (stage) the owner of the yellow jersey will score two team points.

(this means that if you cross the finish line in first place with the yellow jersey your team scores an extra five points)

Why we play it that way.
Well in every tour teams are rewarded with money for the jersey there rider is in at the start of the day. There are a bunch of side classifications as well. And every tour has a different colour code.

The yellow jersey is the most famous of all and is given to the leader of Le tour de France. In order to be the leader you have to finish ahead of other riders. So we count all points to reward the yellow jersey and not just the sprint points. You don't have to win stages to be the overall leader if you finish often in the top five of a race. It seems only fair that the rider with the most points has the yellow jersey.

In case of a single race. this is covered by the rules pretty well I think. We don't have the need in a single race to switch jerseys. In the
spring classics previous to the summer tours no jerseys are awarded.
It doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nice review. You should try the game without the chance cards - even better that way I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gery McLaughlin wrote:
Nice review. You should try the game without the chance cards - even better that way I think.

Without chance it is more a gamers game. The chance cards add more laughs.

I like both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

That's what I'm doing! I've just discovered this game and, after buying one for me, I have already bought one for my nephew and are still looking for more to offer to friends of us, that are loving the game too.

It's a pity that the age, the original name, and the cover art have put me off having a more detailed look at this game before. It's a great racing game and also a very good gateway one.

BTW, thanks for your Yellow Jersey rule, I started a thread asking for details about the rule but got no answer, and the way I understood it I didn't like it. Now our friends are asking for a tournament consisting of several races, and your suggestion is right what I was looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
We give a racer that at any given time has scored the most individual points the yellow jersey.
So after the first sprint a player is rewarded the yellow jersey.
After the second sprint points are added and if another player has more points he takes over the yellow jersey. If another rider equals the amount of points scored the yellow jersey doesn't change owner.
And so on.

In case of a single race. this is covered by the rules pretty well I think. We don't have the need in a single race to switch jerseys.

I didn't understand the last part. In each race (single or part of a series) you do change the Yellow Jersey if another racer gets more points (total) after a sprint, don't you?

And just to be clear, your possible 3 pts at race end plus the sure 2 pts at next race start are the only points that the Jersey gives, right? You forget about the fiddly 2 pts/turn official rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

To answer your question.

We change yellow jerseys only in part of a series. (in a single race no coloured jersey exists in real life)

Instead of the official two points rule (hold the yellow jersey for a round) we use the rule that the team gets two points for starting a race in the yellow jersey.
Biggest difference is that the team gets it. It might be hard to catch the yellow jersey otherwise.

I suggest you take what works for you. We played most games without cheating.

Um reifenbreite is a great gateway game.

Quick edit : I would normally suggest you follow the rules exactly of each game. Otherwise you are playing a different game.
Um reifenbreite however comes with three different rulessets and because of that. I would add what fits your group.
and adjust so it feels right for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game, not cycling.

It's a very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks, it's clear now.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I suggest you take what works for you. We played most games without cheating.

All players I have introduced the game to (3 times in the last week) agreed that the cheating rule is bad (too much benefit with too much risk), so I don't think I will ever use it.

By now, we are not using the sprints (will do once everyone has learnt and is familiar with the game), nor the event deck. We like how you can plan things without that randomness added, we feel there is already a good part of luck as it is. But we may try them some time in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.