2 Posts

Gearworld: The Borderlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reinforcements Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chaos Warrior
msg tools
Hello,
Aside from the place of unloading of reinforcements that I saw mentioned in previous posts and is yet to be resolved, another thing is not clear:
Look at this picture where there are 3 areas

If I declare the horse as a spearhead lead and the weapon as reinforcements, it is clear that the horse can't load the weapon and also end its move on the target area. But the weapon can be unloaded (only if the attack is successful) to the adjacent area to the target, and this satisfies the rules for checking the range for reinforcements.
So actually we are "sacrificing" the horse's strength of 1 for the weapon's strength of 3.
But is this allowed by the rules?
I couldn't find the answer for that.
The rules state that the attacking player must prove the lead's range. But if so why allow for reinforcements to have their range to an adjacent area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaoswr wrote:
But is this allowed by the rules?

If by "the rules" you mean what's printed in the rule book, I think you've already answered the question. Not only can the horse serve as a spearhead lead, but (contrary to your assertion) her strength point is not "sacrificed."

You seem concerned, if I understand you, that the horse qualifies as a spearhead lead only in virtue of being able to enter the target territory. But, as you observe, she doesn't enter the target territory. The weapon can't join the horse on its own, because it's not close enough to be its own spearhead lead. And some other horse, just close enough to deliver the weapon adjacent to target, can't execute that maneuver because she won't qualify as spearhead lead. So how does it make sense (I believe you're asking) that the horse in your example can hop over, grab the weapon, and hop back as a spearhead?

My response is that the rules state how spearheads work, and in what order you're supposed to execute the procedure. In your example the horse qualifies as a spearhead lead. Period. The weapon qualifies as a reinforcement for that lead. So flip the tokens accordingly. Then if you follow the rules for calculating strength points, both the horse and weapon contribute to the offensive total. That's it.

Quote:
The rules state that the attacking player must prove the lead's range. But if so why allow for reinforcements to have their range to an adjacent area?

The 1982 rules were less complex to describe, but also admitted counter-intuitive scenarios. For example, we can't move empty boats to the target during the attack move, but those boats can end up there as a convenient side effect of delivering a horse or weapon. And the old rules weren't completely clear about how many "side effect" horses and weapons could ride a boat, get dropped off in adjacent territories and/or stay on the boat. We were only told that one horse and/or weapon had to enter the attacked territory.

So to answer your question, I believe all the new spearhead rule complexity is in the interest of clarifying exactly which and how many tokens can participate in the combat. Now there are no more than two spearheads, each with one lead and up to two reinforcements. Boats can now move even if they're empty, and there are no side effects: weapons and horses tagging along for the ride are forbidden to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.