Subject: Cooperation/Warning call across player tableaus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If a species that previously benefitted from cooperation or warning call goes extinct and there is no other species in player A's tableau to fill the gap, will the species from players B or C who sit next to A benefit from this situation as long as the gap is not filled, or do species traits only affect the species in the owner's tableau?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~~~ ‽‽‽ ~~~
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning call and cooperation only affect neighbouring species for a particular player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played that it does impact a neighboring player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have limited this to a single player tableau. Interesting idea to have it extend across players though.

Would be nice to have an official ruling on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:

That is definitely the more thematic approach. The owner of the game wasn't sure either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:

No no no! It's trait that benefits only you! It doesn't make sense to create a trait that actually helps your competition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
The rules are pretty clear on this one.

Cooperation, warning call, and symbiosis all specify in the rulebook that if you have a species in the appropriate direction the effect takes place. And yes YOU is underlined haha.

Although as far as house rules go, playing your friends way would allow for some interesting strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rule is that Cooperation, Warning Call, and Symbiosis only affect the species of the play who played the trait. That is how the cards are worded and how the rule book explains it.

We tested the game both ways many times. The game plays equally well in either case, but we chose the current rule because it was the one most people expected. I think it's less thematic, but we chose it to make the learning process as simple as possible. In either case, people rarely chose to benefit their opponents when we played by the other rules. It was cool in theory, but rarely happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.