Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
To win the game you must have your ship card to move to your ship.

I just played a game where one player's ship was the second last card in the deck. His opponent's ship was halfway through the deck. The player whose ship card was near the bottom had no chance of winning due to the random arrangement of the cards.

This appears to be a serious flaw in the game.

Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a problem David. I have tried to overcome it by using either of the two following procedures:

1)Each time a card is to be drawn from the draw deck, one player picks up the deck and "fans out" the cards, holding them face down, and the other player randomly picks a card. It is somewhat cumbersome and slows down the game, but at least the deck wont be "stacked against" a player because his ship might me at the tail end of the deck.

or

2)Keep the two ship cards out of the deck when first shuffled. Then cut the deck in half. Take one half of the deck and shuffle in the two ship cards, placing that half of the deck on top of the other half. That will prevent the ships from being in the bottom half of the draw deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soto
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.pedrosoto.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition of the game corrects that case.
(And this is the only change in the rulebook that includes the new edition).

The deck of "1912 The Way Back" is always prepared with 25 cards + 10 special cards.

Soon we will upload the new rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
randast wrote:
The new edition of the game corrects that case.
(And this is the only change in the rulebook that includes the new edition).

The deck of "1912 The Way Back" is always prepared with 25 cards + 10 special cards.

Soon we will upload the new rulebook.

That won't fix the problem.

If I am Amundsen and my ship is sitting at the bottom of the deck I have zero chance of winning, no matter how well I play. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soto
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.pedrosoto.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because the new deck of 35 cards can be use 2 times.
If you reach the coast, you can take 3 cards (and discard 3 card of your hand) each turn, until your ship appear.
And, remember, if you force your opponent to take your ship, he must discard his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.