Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Dungeon layout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix G
United States
flag msg tools
mb
After seeing all the pictures from Essen I have a few questions about the layout of the dungeons. Unless this was just due to the tutorial setup, it seems that the dungeons are fairly small - just a square map on the table. Do you add hexes to it as you explore (ala legend of drizzt) or is the whole dungeon open from the start? It just looks a bit cramped with all the monsters and characters just hanging out in an open space. I guess I envisioned more of a sprawling set of asymmetrical hexes on the table, that you construct as you explore...is it more like that in other scenarios or is the map always fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the dungeons are relatively restricted, otherwise you'd never be able to get anywhere in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each is fixed but will vary greatly in shape and size depending on the scenario (nearly 100). Many of the shapes add an additional layer to puzzling out the objectives and enemies, for instance, does the party split up or stay together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming that convention demos use a very small dungeon so that the scenario is shorter and more demos can be squeezed into each day.

I don't know if this is typical of dungeon size, but the Rahdo runthrough video uses a scenario with a much larger dungeon than the Essen demo. (Keep in mind that this was filmed pre-Kickstarter, so some things might not match the current game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mb
here : https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3214466/gloomhaven

you find the first scenario of the book ... I assume the other should be more or less the same or bigger ... but for sure not something like Descent first edition

I like that so maybe I can play two scenarios in one session
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding when building custom dungeons it consists of three populated rooms? You can't have them much longer than that or you'd not make it through with the cards you have,.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
You can't have them much longer than that or you'd not make it through with the cards you have,.

IMO, that's the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Essen demo was really small to

a) allow for a short playing time
b) for everything onto the really small table space provided

Just look at the pictures. Another room would not have fit without removing one of the players or cramping their tableau beyond anything reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Essen demo was one large room used to make the play time shorter. Typically a scenario will feature around three rooms, and you won't engage the monsters in each room until you move into it. It's not open exploration, though (unless you're using the random dungeon deck). Each scenario is laid out in the scenario book and gives you a specific construction of tiles to set up beforehand. Also it should be noted that there is a large amount of variety in the scenarios. Some contain up to 6 or 7 different room tiles, others consist of a single tile. They are all designed to last about the same amount of time, though - about 30 minutes per player - since each player's deck of cards can only last so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix G
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Great - thanks for clarifying that. I was aware of the card limits, but I guess I just envisioned a different layout. I'm glad that the dungeons will vary in size and content though, as this was my biggest concern. Can't wait to play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.