$35.00
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday October 26, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fun night at the Legion.

Danny, Frank and I started with London and Ariel joined us just as we started. This is a very nice Martin Wallace tableau/engine builder. It has the feel of a train pickup and deliver game as you build your city, run it, build it back up again and you want to do this efficiently as possible. Everytime you run your city you are penalized with poverty cubes for each card you have in your tableau plus cards remaining in hand net of number of boroughs you control on the board. I started out with a pretty big tableau and then started to buy up boroughs to reduce my poverty generation, get more cards and add some VPs. Danny kept his city small and lean and went for cities later in the game. Frank slowly built his city and seemed to really focus on money and boroughs. Ariel's tableau just kept growing and growing but it had some permanent buildings that shed lots of cubes and added lots of cards to his hand. He was a bit behind on the city. By the end of the game I had just achieved a state where I could run my city round after round generating VPs. At that point, Danny triggered the end game. He had no Poverty cubes left, which meant the rest of us started out pretty far behind. But, as we went through the rest of the scoring I edged up and just eked out a win. Any number of things could have swung the game one way or the other. It was pretty knife edged.

Next, Ariel taught us Welcome Back to the Dungeon a press your luck/bluffing game where you are jointly playing one of several different and interesting characters delving into a dungeon with your equipment. The interesting mechanism here is that on their turn a player can pass (avoiding both victory and death in the dungeon) or drawing a monster card in secret and deciding whether to add it to the dungeon or keep it out of the dungeon but sacrifice a piece of equipment. After all other players have passed, the remaining player delves through the dungeon, one card at a time and uses the equipment to work their way through it...either emerging victoriously or losing one of their two lives. Frank was the first to face the dungeon as a Ninja and died. Then, Danny was left to try his hand as the Bard and lost. Ariel was victorious with the Necromancer. I lost as the Princess with just one card left. Danny won as the Bard. Then, Ariel lost as the Ninja. Finally, Danny was left to take the Necromancer into the dungeon. Ariel and I had stripped him of his best cards but Danny was down to his last hit point and faced the last three monsters. He was able to use his smoke bomb to survive the dungeon, collect his second victory card and win the game. Nice light fun that became even better as we started playing up the bluffing and egging on. Thanks for the game Ariel.

Other games I saw played included Above and Below, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Roll for the Galaxy (w/ expansion) and Parade, Tichu, and Rage.

See you all next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.