1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Important announcement about the future of the league rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
SRL ratings: Elo, TrueSkill, Stang (recency 3/legacy). Stang (simple) has me at 34 ... I have recently concluded that I am not a fan of the Simple rating.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On July 19, 2014, Star Realms user kcitizen launched his second tournament using the digital version of Star Realms, called "War World". I participated in this event -- my first games played against human competition in the app after dozens of games in person with my son. I ultimately finished in third.

Late in the event, there was conversation between users kcitizen, Kempeth, and ozmethod about tournament structure; appended to this conversation, I inserted the following suggestion (on July 24): "A league might be interesting too." I followed up this comment a week later (on July 31), after the conclusion of the tournament, with this comment: "Now, who's going to organize that league ... ?

As I suspected would be true all along, it turned out to be me.

On August 17, 2014, I opened up registration for a league, hoping to get 8-12 players interested. (Reading through that initial post now, I feel like this would have been a good place to point all the people who have asked about the format of the league. I can't begin to count the number of times I answered some of these questions.) In the end, I had a field of 24, which was very exciting. Season 1 began on August 20, 2014.

The league expanded rapidly from that Original 24 group (of whom 9 are still in the league), expanding so far that the divisions grew from 8 to 10 to 12 players and the number of divisions expanded from 3 to 7 to 10 ... and eventually all the way to 23. Along the way the whole thing became too much for me to handle by myself, and the division commissioner system was implemented, which really helped things out.

I once upon a time (actually, twice) GMed online games of Twilight Imperium. As I finished that second stint, I noticed a recurring two-year pattern. That is to say, I ran games for about two years, then was ready to move on to something else. After about two years, I felt the itch again and started running more games; two years later, I was ready to be done with it again. Another two years passed ... and this league was created. As that two-year mark approached for this league, the familiar sense of ending began to come over me. (I actually commented on this at the start of the Tournament of Champions last year. ... It might be a problem.)

But there seemed to be to be a big difference between running games of Twilight Imperium and running this league. Games of TI are one-off affairs involving six other people; they last months, but once they're done, there's no built-in compulsion to start another one. The league, though, is structured with no endpoint in sight. And rather than six other people being involved, there are upwards of 250. So I didn't feel like I could just walk away when I was tired of doing things.

Certainly the division commissioners helped. But I still felt an obligation to stay on top of what was going in the league (of course); there were frequently new players wanting to participate; there were often issues with players not signing into a new division thread or failing to play in a timely manner; there were the Tier Championships to run; and there was the significant overhead of setting the roster for and creating all the posts for the next season. In short, my role as league commissioner was still too time-consuming, and after the conclusion of the Legend Series tournament, it will be time for me to move on.

But, so as not to leave the league unattended, I have put significant effort into a transition plan. First, I assembled and created the BGG Star Realms League Steering Committee. This is a group of seven active and helpful participants in the league. In alphabetical order by SR username, they are: AgentSeto, Amaroid, Carnie, CrankyDay, FlyingArrow, networktoast, and SweetJustice. The job of this steering committee is to make the high-level decisions about the direction the league is going and to appoint directors.

The directors for the league, beginning in Season 21 are:

League Commissioner: networktoast. He will oversee the Division and Tier Commissioners throughout the season and be the voice of the steering committee. You will see him create the start-of-season post in the main announcement thread.

League Administrator: Amaroid. He will deal with the recruitment and integration of new players to the league and be the primary point of contact for players who have not signed in to a thread or signed up for the next season. You will also see him create the divisional threads at the start of a season.

League Organizer: CrankyDay. He will run the Tier Championships at the end of each season and facilitate prize distribution, in addition to setting the roster between seasons.

It is my hope that with these able volunteers in place -- in addition to all of the commissioners working at a division level (which, if you want to volunteer, please contact the League Commissioner, whose BGG username is toaster83) -- the league can continue to prosper and grow, even beyond what I've been able to do during my tenure.

I have really enjoyed my time running this league, which has been all I could have wanted -- and more. My theory was that the cream would rise to the top, and based on comments that I've heard from players as they rise through the tiers (and my own experience enduring relegations in recent seasons), this generally seems to be the case -- though, naturally, the #1 seed in the Legend Series tournament is coming from the Iron Tier!

Please feel free to ask any questions or post any comments here. The generally good-natured tone from the hundreds of people who have come through this league has been part of what has made it such a good time organizing. So one more time:

Thanks for playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you, Remy, for my favourite way to play Star Realms. I also thoroughly support you walking away when it feels right. Learning when to step up and run something is great, but learning when to step away is just as important and often vastly more difficult. Thank you for generouysly overseeing a smooth change, and I think you can & should feel amazing about what you've created!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Muhlestein
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for everything, Remy! You really helped take the game to a different level. I wish you all the best in all your future endeavors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have created a great tourney setup and very competent team over the last few years and we have to give you (and the team) a big shout of thanks. It is a good thing that you have decided to hand over the reigns over before it becomes burdensome. You can finish it on a high with memories of a job well done and our appreciation.

Thank you for having us around to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marauder Mo

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy,

I'll join the chorus of voices expressing great appreciation for all the effort you've put in to running the league. As someone who has put a lot of effort into tourneys over on FB, I know first hand the amount of hard work and brain power it takes to run these things.

I predict that what you've created here will live on for a long time and continue to be one of the gold standards to which other Star Realms events are compared. Thanks again and best of luck.

Morgan aka MarauderMo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Muniak
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Remy,

I rate you 5 out of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pan da
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:
Please feel free to ask any questions or post any comments here.

Can you just like not do that thing you said you're going to do

edit:

I think by now you know I like to be silly and have fun, and after the platform you've provided which has me given great opportunity to be both, I'd be remiss if I wasn't earnest for just half a post.

There's nothing that I can say that you don't already know and there's nothing I can say that other people haven't already said better. So I'll just repeat what we all want to: thanks, man. Thanks a lot. It's easy for me to to overlook how much work you put into this because of how easy it was to participate, which of course is due to how much work you put into this. This is the biggest, baddest competition in the Star Realms universe and there are hundreds (!) of people who look forward to it every Season. Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until long after it was a well oiled machined, but I've had so much fun since I did. This is a lot more than a simple tournament for me. When things aren't going so great in the real world, this was always here to provide a distraction, an escape, a little break from everything else. It may sound a little hyperbolic, but this league has genuinely improved the quality of my life. I've met a lot of people through this and I'm happy for all of them except that little butthead horowits because I can't beat him at anything ever.

It sounds like you don't have any, but you can squash trepidation you might feel about leaving. You've given so much. You've left it in the very capable hands of those you mentioned. It's time to do whatever you want now. I just can't wait to participate in whatever you start in 2 years. I mean, enjoy your time off and all, but the clock's ticking, buddy. You'd better have something ready.

I do have to dock some points for never pulling some strings to get me out of Bronze, but all in all, you're a pretty OK commissioner, Mr. Remy.

Final rating for aweberman:

This concludes my incoherent rant. Thanks, buddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everything, Remy. You've done an amazing job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your work, you're a valuable member of this community. If you were a Star Realms card, I'd would wait until the end-game to scrap you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Remy,

Thanks to you and this league, Star Realms is my favorite game. Never before have I played a game so much and gotten so much enjoyment and delicious frustration out of a game! I really appreciate the serious, but casual nature of the BGG league. I can attest to the cream rising to the top. Starting in Division 2 waaaaay back I have slowly settled through the tiers putting up a good fight, but falling to where I belong.

Looking forward to the Commissioner Gibson hero card I expect to see one day!!

I'll also be keeping my eye out for whatever you have cooked up next when you're ready for a return... perhaps a Hero Realms league whenever it hits digital one day??

Thanks so much for your endless time spent and dedication to this league!

Janus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Remy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Remy! 20 seasons is quite a legacy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the work over the years, Remy. I am amazed at how long you did it. Each season, I am pleasantly surprised to see you back. This league has exploded in size and scope and you never shut it down. You have never turned a player away. You are and will always be a pillar of the Star Realms community. Even if you are no longer going to be running the league, you have left in in capable hands.

On a more personal level, the reason that I joined BGG was to sign up for season 3 of this league. Once I joined, I started to check it constantly. First I was looking for new league pairings. Then, I learned about subscriptions and I subscribed to the Star Realms forums to get strategy tips. Pretty soon, I was subscribed to a bunch of games and was using this site to research more. Without this league, I would never have gotten as into board games as I am now. Thinking about it, Remy, you have, indirectly, cost me 100s of dollars and have given me a great hobby. cry Hopefully you will stay active in the Star Realms forums.

Also, one of the few issues with the league is that it never had a name. I have called it The BGG Star Realms League or Remy League, but I am proposing that we officially change the name of the league to The Star Realms Remy Cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty safe to say that without this league I wouldn't be playing the app anymore. There have been stretches where the only games I played were from here. The league has made playing SR a lot more fun and interesting. Thanks for all the hard work getting it to where it is today, Remy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony harris
APO/FPO
APO
AE
msg tools
mb
thank you aweberman,

for making my life miserable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think barring a very brief stint in Valpocarnie's SR Gambit tourney the BGG SR League was the first organized SR competition I joined after hesitating quite a lot. It was a fine decision. I joined the party relatively late (Season 10), but in this way I got to be the co-alumnus in my division with greylag whom I learn the most about playing SR.

I've always been amazed at the amount of work and dedication you put into this project day-in, day-out. Always answering questions in detail, always dealing with players and issues in a very polite manner.

I was shocked to hear you go, still shocked even though this year I've been well provided with those.

I wish you good luck wherever you go, whatever you do! You'll be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
janus19390 wrote:

thumbsup
Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kolok wrote:
I've always been amazed at the amount of work and dedication you put into this project day-in, day-out. Always answering questions in detail, always dealing with players and issues in a very polite manner.

Yes, this always struck me too. It's easy to answer questions; but few people manage to routinely answer questions in detail, seeing to the point of the question, and in a way which helps the asker rather than just responding to the text of what they wrote in a technically correct way, all done in a friendly spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
I have a new set of gaming resolutions for 2017...go hunt them out!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks man.

We are in a world where bitching and moaning are the norm.

So when someone puts up there hand to voluntarily organise something and do such a great job...that is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the effort. I've been with this league from the beginning and it's still great fun and exciting.

All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
I am Jackson, hear me roar! *meow*
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy, you're the man. I've enjoyed our messages and always looked forward to opening my inbox on bgg. I continue to play Star Realms because of this League. Yes, it's true that I like this game and the Facebook community keeps me engaged as well. But playing through the divisions and the league has left an impression on me and my interest in the game. Most of my good friends are on here playing now too and I'm sure they all agree with me in saying that this has been the best experience.

I've only been in the league since season 13, but that was over a year ago... CRAZY. Looking forward to meeting you in person one day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryPanda wrote:
Aweberman wrote:
Please feel free to ask any questions or post any comments here.
It may sound a little hyperbolic, but this league has genuinely improved the quality of my life. I've met a lot of people through this and I'm happy for all of them

I couldn't agree more. Well said, Panda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything, Remy. Your tireless efforts and steady hand have given us all many months of great entertainment. It cannot be overstated how smoothly this league runs. Not only have you made it look easy, but you've left behind a template for others to keep running things smoothly after you leave.

janus19390 wrote:
Amen to that. It would be an actual shame if it didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bravo Remy. You have established the Gold Standard of competitive online Star Realms. Thank you, and thanks to the kind and generous players who have agreed to carry on your legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klemp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Loading... 76%
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karmakanik wrote:
Bravo Remy. You have established the Gold Standard of competitive online Star Realms. Thank you, and thanks to the kind and generous players who have agreed to carry on your legacy.

Dare we say, Platinum standard? Legend standard? Hmm, that one is a White Wizard Games specialty...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.