$30.00
May Wung
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh my word, what a wonderful game! My other half and I finally brought this to the table about 48 hours ago, and finished it last night. We're still talking about it over breakfast today.

Setting the scene

Got all the bits out, ooh'd and ahh'd over the lovely map of London, and read through the opening statement. Tried to play some era-appropriate music, plumped for synthwave instead when negotiating with my media box to do anything sensible, largely failed whistle

Got pencil and paper together to take notes of places visited and important clues.

Evening no. 1, or "We're really not very good at this, are we?"

We read the opening statement. We then read it again, and again...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I drew a sort of mock suspects' mind-map, with the victim, Courtney, at the centre, and all the perps, fanning out (Lord Ragland, Marlowe, Beatrice, etc etc). This had a few key facts about each person below each bubble (philanderer for CA, bad with cash for LR etc). Tried to establish what the diary entries meant, what the note meant etc...

Then we started visiting places. Very very haphazardly. Probably because we realised a few things very late.

I recall saying "where are his offices anyway, we haven't been to the crime scene..."

We also got very drawn into visiting places to try and find proof about interesting facts which may or may not have be relevant to the particulars of the case. Like, for instance, how we were very disappointed about the short entry at the US Embassy.

Also possibly overthinking things. "yeah, but what if Egan was lying about having his men stalk the other foreign magnates?" was one thing that came up.

We note how Lord Ragland takes his B&H. It occurs to me the offices will be in the directory. We finally visit the crime scene. We now have likely perp, but no motive.

To make it easier for us to understand the company structure, we're now calling LR - CTO, Marlowe, CEO and Richard Camp the Developer (or Dev) - because it translated their likely responsibilities very well to the modern day.

After visiting too many places, and looking at the ever lengthening -5 points we were facing, and because both of us had a headache, we turned in for the night.

Evening no. 2, or "Beyond reasonable doubt"

We decide to review our approach. It's too haphazard, we need to establish a more structured approach. Mr Tineykitty then points out we have been probably structuring this the wrong way.

Out goes the mindmap. He draws up a timeline to track the last known movements of the victim. We visit no more places at this point. Using what we already know, we piece together the last 48 hours of CA.

We check to see if people can travel the distance in the time frame they stated. We read the first opening statement again. We question, why a CTO would have stock certs for other companies (from our previous visit to the plant). We know he's bad with cash, and can't pay his own tailor (after visiting one of the names on the invoice) until the day after CA's death We speculate if he is as bad with his cash regarding his tailor, he may be really bad at making investments. We speculate the envelope to Drummond's (his bank) is an IOU for a loan he took out. He are happy with this explanation, and feel a visit to Drummond's won't garner more information.

The new CEO is cold and disinterested, more interested in playing golf than the death of his colleague. I point out this is suspicious, Mr Tineykitty says in real life, this really isn't suspicious and is very much normal He gets ruled out.

The German Attache has a suspiciously attractive wife, who is probably rendevou-ing with our victim.

I point out that SP10 = Special Project 10. Mr Tinykitty points out The Spaniard is a pub in the directory. We now feel very silly and only now realise the directory is in itself a source of clues. We speculate who AM is. The Russian Attache.

We know people want SP10, but who? We have the reasoning why the CTO would be lying, but not why he would kill.

We visit a few places, but not before we debate with each other before we go to each one, what additional information it could add to what we have - i.e. not to confirm suspicions, but to actually give us more than that. We visit The Spaniard Pub and are not disappointed when we see our friendly Russian and a man who fits the description of the CTO. By this visit, we confirm the Russian is lying about his whereabouts that evening based on that and having visited him earlier. We visit the London Stock Exchange for a laugh because, well, we've now visited so many places the score no longer matters. It does nothing except confirm our lead suspect is crap with cash, made poor investments, lost a load, and needs money badly.

After a more structured way of approaching this, we can now piece together the last known movements, perp and likely motive.

8th March
1. CA buys a hat for his secretary's mother.
2. RA meets with CA at the plant at 1730.
3. CA goes to meet for a tryst with the Countess at 2000

9th March
1. CA at some point, goes to the plant to try to surprise his CTO about leaking information. He doesn't find him, but intercepts a telegram from the Russian addressed to the CTO about being at The Spaniard at some point in the evening.

2. CA sends a telegram to Capt Egan about meeting up at the Admiralty at 2030 to take some heavies with him to arrest his CTO at The Spaniard at 2200 (pounce!).

Because, we surmised, as the British Navy has exclusivity rights to SP10, it's a matter of national security.

Selling SP10 to any foreign power ostensibly for cash, isn't then just corporate espionage, it's High Treason. Which, is punishable by hanging back in the 1800s. This gives us our motive for LR. We felt he wouldn't kill purely over the matter of him being in debt, but at the risk of being outed for jeopardising national security and therefore, his life? That seemed more reasonable.

3. CA gets the project file for SP10 from the office. He leaves the office by the back door. At around 1900 he is shot by a Grant Special weapon, we are now certain, beyond reasonable doubt, this is our CTO, Lord Ragland, who is hiding in the shed, smoking his B&H via cigarette holder.

4. CTO visits Alexi Meshkoff at the Spaniard later that evening.

We turn to the questions, we feel we can answer all the questions in Part 1, but not question 4 in part 2 (definitely didn't visit a place there!).

We read Sherlock's summing up - we're high fiving at this point as we get all the bits, and feel very clever. So, now we prepare to feel all stupid and stuff when we tally up the score; 75. We feel better!

There are lots of things we would do differently for Case 2 (not yet opened) - but I am looking forward to our next session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool Session report I only have the 80ies Version, where the score is calculated differently, but i think 75 is an awesome result against sherlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
May Wung
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Varga
Hungary
flag msg tools
Yep, 75 is an awesome score. Especially your second day was uber-productive, a really classy investigation.

My family and I scored something like -5 or something on case 1, lol. (Although I take no responsibility for our mad place rush towards the end of our game - I wanted a more structured approach as you did, only I got voted down; there were the four of us.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
May Wung
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! You can get drawn into just wandering around - there's nothing wrong with that as there's so much flavour in the text to allow to to just drink in the theme thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.