Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiho,

this thread is intended to provide a collecting point for non-translation-related typos, and related mistakes, in the Conan rulebooks. It is my hope that someone from Monolith will see this and pick these up for their revised rulebooks. Feel free to add non-translation mistakes to this thread, but PLEASE keep this thread on-topic. This thread is not the proper platform for venting frustration or confusion regarding the rules, nor is it the proper place for asking clarification for any given rule. It's about collecting blatant typographical/"factual" mistakes for (hopefully) eventual correction.

So...

Overlord Book, page 3:

Quote:
The Overlord's tiles are divided into two categories: unit tiles and the event tile.

Several scenarios have more than one event tile, thus this should say "unit tiles and event tiles."

Overlord Book, page 3:

Quote:
All unit tiles contain the following:

Point (8 "Reinforcement Cost") is not true - not all units have this. Apparently only Minions have a reinforcement cost.

Overlord Book, page 3:

The example with the dice: it is unclear (to my eyes) whether these are orange or red dice. It "probably" doesn't matter for purposes of the example, but this seems to be the only place in the rules where it is not specified/clear which dice are being used. This is potentially problematic if the rulebook is printed in black/white.

Overlord Book, page 4:

Quote:
The Overlord can spend a unit's movement point points to move it across a border from one area to an adjacent area.

"point" ==> "points" (arguably a typo, in particularly for terrain which costs more than one MP to cross)

Overlord Book, page 5:

The example for reinforcements should arguably have an arrow indicating that the Event tile must be moved from spot #7 to the end of the River (like the example on page 7).

Overlord Book, page 7:

The example shows all the steps of activating/moving a tile, but does not actually pay the gem cost (note the wrong number of gems in the Fatigue area). It "really should" demonstrate the payment of the 3-gem cost (as the textual part of the example mentions).

Overlord Book, page 8:

This section describes how to cast spells, but not how to obtain them (which spells characters start with). This has become a frequently-asked question on BGG, thus i recommend adding a sentence to this section:

Quote:
The spells, if any, assigned to characters with the Spell caster skill, are specified by each scenario.
(or similar)

Additionally, there's a typo at the bottom of the page:

Quote:
At the end of each turn, each player moves all gems form from their spell cards to their Fatigue zones.

(Typo: "form" ==> "from")

Heroes' Book, page 7: the section named Guard incorrectly separates Armor rolls and re-rolls into a separate phase from Dodge/Parry, meaning that Armor re-rolls cannot be applied to like-color Dodge/Parry dice. Thread 1661706 contains a discussion and a response from/via Monolith which clarifies that the two "phases" should be rolled together:

Abbath wrote:
Got answer from Monolith about guard, shield and armor rolls

"Hi,
You have to roll all the dice at the same time and add all the “Axe” symbols to determine your defense power."

Which, in turn, implies that like-colored dice from Dodge/Parry and Armor may be re-rolled together, as opposed to in separate steps.

Scenario Trapped like Rats: Setup declares that Hadrathus gets the Mental Control spell, yet Thrak's Event description calls it Mind Control.

Many Scenarios: use the term Ornamental Lance, but the card is labeled Ornamental Spear.

Many Scenarios: refer to the spell Halo of Mitra, but the card is labeled Mitra's Halo.

Add-on tiles: most or all of the add-on tiles incorrectly use the Dodge icon where they should have the Armor icon.

The spell Ymir's Rage: starts with the text "When the you..."

This post will be edited to include any other mistakes which are discovered later and/or added as comments to this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a typo in your text, which does change the text meaning, so as this is clarifying errors, I thought I'd mention it
Quote:
Several scenarios have more than one even tile

"more than one event tile"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
There's a typo in your text, which does change the text meaning, so as this is clarifying errors, I thought I'd mention it
Quote:
Several scenarios have more than one even tile

"more than one event tile"

LOL. Unfortunately, the PDFs' text is stored as images, making copy/paste impossible. Fixed, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... thread 1661706 points out that there is indeed an oddity on how to play Armor. The English edition separates Armor rolls into a separate phase from Dodge/Parry rolls, with its own, separate reroll phase (not usable for re-rolling dice of the same color from the Dodge/Parry), and then combines the results from the Dodge/Parry to the Armor rolls. According to at least one French speaker, the two should not be separated (for purposes of re-rolls), yet the English edition clearly(?) requires two separate rolls, each with their own re-roll phases.

Edit: Andi got us an answer from Monolith on this. It's in that thread and duplicated in this thread's main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20161030: added...

- Mitra's Halo vs Halo of Mitra

- Mental Control vs Mind Control

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

If you're adding stuff like this, then "Wall Wrecker" should really be either "Wall Breaker" or "Wall Crusher". "Wall Wrecker" is awkward in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

If you're adding stuff like this, then "Wall Wrecker" should really be either "Wall Breaker" or "Wall Crusher". "Wall Wrecker" is awkward in English.

Regardless of what sounds better, they use the name "Wall Wrecker" consistently. Wall Wrecker is not grammatically wrong, and has the arguable benefit of being an alliteration. Mitra's Halo, Mind Control, and Ornamental Lance are used inconsistently and do not necessarily match the printed cards they refer to. i.e. the latter are wrong, whereas Wall Wrecker's name is a purely matter of taste/style. There's no accounting for taste (or style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Japan
Iwaki
Fukushima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In standard English, those two were not incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wiredreflexes wrote:
In standard English, those two were not incorrect.

The text in the books uses a different name than that on the card. i.e. incorrect. The text in the books, when referring to a card, needs to use the same name as is printed on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did not mean to go a bit off topic on this.
I thought Monolith sent out an update saying they saw the issues with the rulebook but got it fixed before sending them out? Or did i miss read the update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
I thought Monolith sent out an update saying they saw the issues with the rulebook but got it fixed before sending them out? Or did i miss read the update?

Any fixes i've added to this post are based on the physical copy i received and the currently-available downloadable copies of the manuals.

Monolith is (according to KS updates) working on an updated manual. It is my hope that they'll see this thread while working on it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.