Hide
6 Posts

A World at War» Forums » Rules

Subject: North Africa Scenario -- Oil Effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Neff
msg tools
The North Africa Scenario set-up says that Rule 33.6 (Oil Effects) applies to the game. I'm not sure I understand how this works. How can oil effects be in play when there are no oil counters or other oil transport rules used in the scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it means the impact of 33.6 because you have no oil (hence no counters etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Neff
msg tools
Hence my confusion. Because that makes no sense to me. That would suggest no counterair, no offensive ground support, no exploitation, tanks being limited to glorified infantry units, and all the rest of it for the whole scenario. That doesn't sound like the scenario as it's meant to be (or, for that matter, as the abbreviated sequence of play is laid out). Sorry to be dense, but what am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Browsing quickly thru the rules pdf I'd venture this is the redundant cross reference to partial supply in the rules. So if in partial supply then oil effects, full supply none...

Obviously others will be better at this that I, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Neff
msg tools
That's helpful, thanks. It's not entirely redundant of course, because the oil effects and the partial supply effects are not exactly the same, but that at least makes the scenario make some sense. If anyone else has a different explanation, please chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Krug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario is intended to be for beginners, and it is deliberately simplified.

In this case, the supply rules for this scenario ONLY are very simple:

"Supply: In order to receive supply, Axis units must trace a land supply line, free of enemy ZoCs, from Tripoli to their hex. In Spring 1941, Axis units are in full supply. In subsequent turns, the supply status of Axis units depends on a die roll each turn. In Summer and Fall 1941, die roll = 1-3: partial supply; die roll = 4-6: full supply. In Winter 1941, die roll = 1: partial supply; die roll = 2-6: full supply. From Spring 1942 onward, full supply.

British units are automatically in full supply if they can trace a land supply line, free of enemy ZoCs, from Basra to their hex."

The air, army, and naval oil effects are identical to "partial supply". There's a "comment box" in rule 33.61C that says this:

The air, naval and army oil effects have the same effect on air, naval and ground units as partial supply (30.52). Oil effects are not cumulative with the effects of partial supply.

For this scenario, we don't worry about the economic or construction effects, as this is deliberately over-simplified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.