6 Posts

Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer» Forums » General

Subject: Tank Combat Tutorial rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Halley
msg tools
Greetings everyone,
I am the first to admit that my tank combat skills are dismal (probably from spending so much time in the jungle these last few years designing OBSP).

So it was a joy when I read this article by Norm Smith that he posted on CSW: http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/tiger-vs-...

And it came in the nick of time because I am playing a Ghost Panzer game later today. I am passing it on in case anyone else needs some brushing up on tank combat.

Take care,
Dean Halley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
So we played the Armor introductory scenario in Ghost Panzer and some questions came up. The first one had to do with the wording on the Player Aid Card in GUN/VEHICLE CHECK PROFICIENCY section. On the second bullet point. it says "If target marked "Move": -1 or firer using Op Fire: -2 or Final Op Fire: -3 (USE ONE).

My friend was of the opinion that only one of these modifiers at a time applied to an attack. So if a target is marked "Move" and the attacker was using Op Fire or Final Op Fire, my friend thought that only the -1 modifier for Moving applies to the attack, since it was the first modifier listed. I thought it means that both the -1 for Moving and the -2 for Op Fire applies or -3 for Final Op Fire applies.

I think the confusion is from the "or" and "Use One."

So here is what I understand this sentence to mean: If target marked "Move": -1; If firer using Op Fire: -2 or Final Op Fire: -3.

So who is right?

Thanks
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean Halley wrote:
So we played the Armor introductory scenario in Ghost Panzer and some questions came up. The first one had to do with the wording on the Player Aid Card in GUN/VEHICLE CHECK PROFICIENCY section. On the second bullet point. it says "If target marked "Move": -1 or firer using Op Fire: -2 or Final Op Fire: -3 (USE ONE).

My friend was of the opinion that only one of these modifiers at a time applied to an attack. So if a target is marked "Move" and the attacker was using Op Fire or Final Op Fire, my friend thought that only the -1 modifier for Moving applies to the attack, since it was the first modifier listed. I thought it means that both the -1 for Moving and the -2 for Op Fire applies or -3 for Final Op Fire applies.

I think the confusion is from the "or" and "Use One."

So here is what I understand this sentence to mean: If target marked "Move": -1; If firer using Op Fire: -2 or Final Op Fire: -3.

So who is right?

Thanks
Dean

I'd read it as "use the worst of these three"
Compare it to the previous bullet for range modifiers: Clearly you would not use the -1 for being over 10 hexes against a target that is over 30 hexes away.
They are differently presented (separated by "or" versus bullet list) but to me they are the same sort of list.

Also, how did you get to a situation where you are OP firing at a unit with a move counter? I thought the unit gets a moved counter after finishing moving (at which point OP fire is no longer possible) and the move counter is removed when it is selected for an action the next time, i.e. before it starts moving. Am I overlooking something?

I think unless I am overlooking something this discussion may be moot since at no time will multiple of those three modifiers apply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Also, how did you get to a situation where you are OP firing at a unit with a move counter?

One way I can think of:
Op fire rules wrote:
When firing at a moving unit, the same die roll also affects nonmoving units in the target hex of the moving unit, although modifiers to the Firepower may be different for the different units.

I.e. the moving unit moved into a hex with a different unit with a move marker on it, and the opponent op-fired at it, thus also attacking the unit with the move marker.

Quote:
I think unless I am overlooking something this discussion may be moot since at no time will multiple of those three modifiers apply...

Well, isn't Final Op Fire a specific kind of Op Fire? If so, then every situation with Final Op Fire is also a situation with Op Fire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
Niko,
That is a good question. Obviously we were doing something wrong. I will remember this next time.

Have a great day
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Also, how did you get to a situation where you are OP firing at a unit with a move counter?

One way I can think of:
Op fire rules wrote:
When firing at a moving unit, the same die roll also affects nonmoving units in the target hex of the moving unit, although modifiers to the Firepower may be different for the different units.

I.e. the moving unit moved into a hex with a different unit with a move marker on it, and the opponent op-fired at it, thus also attacking the unit with the move marker.

Quote:

Well, isn't Final Op Fire a specific kind of Op Fire? If so, then every situation with Final Op Fire is also a situation with Op Fire!
Two good points, thanks for pointing those out! I am
The second argument makes it obvious to me that the worst modifier of the three should be taken: Why is a Final OP fire modifier listed if the argument of "OP fire also applies and is listed first" is valid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.