tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I've been in battles where way more than that are destroyed - CAs had basically become SC level ships at that point. But, I have had 3 CVs full of Ftrs, all at level 3 Fighter tech and ATT1 get destroyed by mines..... devil Took all my strength not to flip the table. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul OConnor
United States
flag msg tools
mb
My all-time record was 2 BB's and 5 Raiders destroyed in one battle by 7 very lucky Unique ships armed with second salvo and one plucky DD with Scan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul OConnor
United States
flag msg tools
mb
You need to buy more scouts and minesweepers, letting 5 mines sneak up on you like that is a pretty big intelligence failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
The adage that in WWI Admiral Jellico was the only person who could lose the war in a day. Don't be that guy. Strategic aggression = necessary, tactical aggression = risky.

The worst one I remember was running into 4 Unique ships with tractor beams and scanners with 6 raiders. That didn't end well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What me worry! about a few ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 3 BCs, 2 CAs = 69 CPs. Looking over my notes from my playtest games I came up with 22 examples of one side losing that many or more CPs of ships in one battle. Only one example is from Mines making all of the kills. There are three examples where Mines backed up by other units caused such damage and the rest of the examples are the result of straight up fights. One of the examples is less than 69 CPs in losses, but it also includes the loss of a Flagship and as that unit has a price of more CPs than you can generate I added it to the list. I left off examples from games that were Solitaire or Co-Op as retreats when losses mounted were not possible for one side. I also left off examples from games where Replicators were in play as their economy is so different that it would also tend to change how one thinks of taking losses. The examples do not reflect the losses that one side took when it lost a battle and was then immediately counter attacked as that would represent two battles. So many cases of Fighters getting gutted and their CVs dying in the next turn did not make the cut. The four cases marked in Red are cases where both sides in the same battle took losses of 69+ CPs. The three cases in Blue are from the same turn in a game where I managed to mass deploy Advanced Raiders with Cloak 2 and overwhelmed by wife’s ability to guard all of the targets that I could threaten. This allowed me to use every ship I had while she had two turns of production of her best ships bypassed and ignored.

Losses of 69+ are not completely unusual if you are playing on the larger maps as you have time to build up a bit of a fleet. Even then a lot of games get called after a smaller amount of CPs are destroyed in one battle if one side realizes that they are about to lose several planets or more ships in the coming turns to what the enemy has revealed. If the games were continued to the bitter end the recorded losses would be higher.

Combat
1 BC, 5 CAs, 2 DDs, 1 SC = 99 CPs
2 BCs, 2 CAs, 3 SCs, 1 Transport, 6 Marines(This was before we added the rule about getting some Ground Troops for free so I had paid 18 CPs for the Marines.) = 96 CPs
3 BBs, 1 BC, 1 SC = 81 CPs
6 CAs, 1 MS = 75 CPs
1 BC, 3 DD, 6 SCs = 78 CPs
21 Fighters, 7 CVs, 1 Boarding Ship = 201 CPs
6 BCs, 1 CA = 102 CPs
5 BCs = 75 CPs
1 Base, 3 BCs, 4 Ship Yards, 1 MS, Homeworld = 84 CPs + Game
1 Base, 3 BBs, 2 Ship Yards = 84 CPs
1 BB, 4 BCs = 80 CPs
1 BC, 3 CA, 3 DDs = 78 CPs
5 BCs, 2 SCs = 87 CPs
3 CAs, 1 CV, 3 Fighters, 2 SCs = 75 CPs
Flag, 2 BCs, 1 CA, 2 DDs, 3 SCs = 72 CPs + Irreplaceable Military Asset
4 BCs, 1 DD, 1 SC = 75 CPs
Flag, 4 BCs, 2 CAs = 84 CPs + Irreplaceable Military Asset
5 DDs, 6 Ship Yards, 1 MS, Homeworld = 84 CPs + Game

Mines
4 BBs, 1 CA = 92 CPs

Mines + Combat
2 CAs, 2 CVs, 6 Fighters, 1 SC = 84 CPs
Flag, 3 CAs, 3 Boarding Ships = 72 CPs + Irreplaceable Military Asset
Flag, 3 BCs, 2 SCs = 57 CPs + Irreplaceable Military Asset

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Oliver points out, this is a little less than 70CP. On a large map, it isn't unusual to have an economy scaring 100CP or more. In those games, 70 CP is only about an entire econ worth of ship builds, even after a healthy R&D budget.

That ranks as "Painful, but not decisive", at least economically. It's only a strategic disaster if the enemy is left with a significant unopposed fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.