Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: titans and gorgons (new roles) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kai ------
Mozambique
msg tools
the titans:
once per turn, you may move a mountain to any region adjacent to the region it is currently in. the mountains stay in their position until moved by the titans again.they stay even when the titans are in decline and off the board.
base unit number: 4
total unit number: 9

the gorgons:
once per turn, you may place a stone token on an enemy's region adjacent to one of your regions. when the enemy is getting troops for conquering, he may not take any troops from the stoned region. he also may not abandon that region or place more troops on it during redeployment. you can attack stoned regions for 1 less unit than normal.you may do this once per turn for each opponent. for example, player 1 (gorgons) can stoneify 1 of player 2's regions and one of player 3's regions.
base unit number: 5
total unit number: 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onenightsmallworld wrote:
the titans:
once per turn, you may move a mountain to any region adjacent to the region it is currently in. the mountains stay in their position until moved by the titans again.they stay even when the titans are in decline and off the board.
base unit number: 4
total unit number: 9

the gorgons:
once per turn, you may place a stone token on an enemy's region adjacent to one of your regions. when the enemy is getting troops for conquering, he may not take any troops from the stoned region. he also may not abandon that region or place more troops on it during redeployment. you can attack stoned regions for 1 less unit than normal.you may do this once per turn for each opponent. for example, player 1 (gorgons) can stoneify 1 of player 2's regions and one of player 3's regions.
base unit number: 5
total unit number: 10

Mountain moving-type races have come up frequently here however, they almost always have the same flaw: They don't actually help you.

Powers and racial abilities should do one of 6 things: score you points, give you a discount to attacks, give you extra tokens, allow you to attack more regions, give you extra actions/turns or give you defense/immunity.

Moving a mountain doesn't score you points, help you attack or get you extra tokens. At best, it gives you one defense once per turn like Fortified, but unlike fortified, it is limited in location and doesn't give you a point, so it is strictly worse. The one advantage is that it potentially removes 1 defense from an opponent.

Additionally, you have the issue of whether a mountain region is still a mountain region without a mountain token in it. And, is a non-mountain region with a mountain in it a mountain region?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the Titans could have giant boulder tokens; use one boulder once per turn along with at least one Titan token to crush (conquer) an entire occupied region (no matter how many tokens are there). Boulders remain in the region they were used in as a permanent ddefense for that region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
OOrin addition to another boulder each turn, a previously used boulder could be tossed (used) again. But this may be too powerful. That could be mitigated by giving the Titans fewer race tokens. And then you have the board getting more permanet defense tokens, as the Titans could possibly remain longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.