$30.00
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am super stoked for my KS copy, and was reading up more on the history of the events. Though Budapest didn't win their freedom until another 33 years later.

I have some past co-workers still living in Budapest from our days working for the brewery. In a Tupac sort of way saying "Pest side, is the best side".

But I found this article on some of the images of then and now in anticipation for the release of the game.

Budapest 60 years after.
http://www.rferl.org/a/budapest-60-years-after-uprising/2806...

Also on a side note, Hungarian is one of the languages not covered by most "learn a language programs".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
Also on a side note, Hungarian is one of the languages not covered by most "learn a language programs".

On a side note, there are two things I'll probably never understand: how English-speaking children learn to read and write and how native Hungarian-speakers manage to learn a foreign language. Theirs is so different from any European languages, except some very loose relation with some Baltic languages, it is almost too little to build upon. And I guess the same is true the other way round, when trying to learn Hungarian as a foreigner.

Thanks for the link... I was in Budapest earlier this year and now I have been overwhelmed by the realization of the tragedy which happened in places I walked through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so fascinating to me because my family has a lot of history in it. My Grandparents fled Budapest together on a dark night in '56 with their 4 kids in tow, my mother was only 4 years old, the youngest just a baby, to the United States. They lived all of these horrors first hand. My Grandfather has a series of watercolor-paintings that he did depicting all of the horrifying things he witnessed from day to day, the rape, bloodshed and the oppression that was all over the streets.

The idea feels a bit weird to me, to play a game based on tragic events that my family lived through, but I think it will be a really interesting way to better understand, and appreciate, that period of history that I've been removed from, and kind of ignorant towards.

I'm really looking forward to getting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.