Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked up to Walgreen's with my good friend and neighbor, Bess, and her dogs and I started telling Bess about my date with Jane the previous night. I had just gotten to the post-date part where I'm home and ready for bed.

I said , "I went into the living room to turn out the light and I saw massive brake lights and back up lights flash outside. I looked out through the blinds and saw Jane's Cadillac flat parking in front of the apartment and..."

"What's flat parking?" The question surprised me since Bess is a professional grade flat parker and aggravated me since the act of flat parking had nothing to do with the point of the story.

"Flat parking?" I said as I stuck out my left hand and moved it back toward toward my body is an flattened S shaped motion. "You know, FLAT PARKING!"

"Waving your arm and talking LOUDER isn't helping!" She handed me the other two leashes and went into the drug store. By the time she came out the rest of the story was dead in my head. I said, "Ice cream?"
"You buying?"
"Of course."

Last Friday evening I went for dinner and drinks with my other best friend, Nora, and her friend Sue. I asked them both, "Do you know what flat parking is?"
"Flat parking?"
Here we go again.

My question to the BGG crowd is "Do you know what flat parking is?"

Edited to correct an awkwardly constructed but funny first sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I have never heard of it.

In fact it sounds rather made up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down as a "no", too. Sounds like it might be some kind of advanced parallel parking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
A solid "no" here. The s-shape movement you describe makes it sound like you're talking about parallel parking, which is a real term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry brother, I'm only familiar with flat-towing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a clue - parking with a flat tyre comes to mind or possibly these parking flats:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I've never heard anyone use the term. It sounds like something your parents made up and you've mistaken for a real word.

Tellingly, Google doesn't seem to pull up anything besides flat rate parking and flat (as in British for apartment) parking. If Google doesn't know it, I have to believe it's not a real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, never heard of it either. What is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for another "nope." (Is it a regional thing? I'm in Southern California, if that helps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking-in from the Southern Hemisphere: I haven't a clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard that term in the north east, or in Nor Cal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it. Like others, your description sounds like parallel parking. I live in Ohio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hints in my searching that some municipalities are experimenting with enforced back-in diagonal/angled parking as a safety measure. But the pavement paint would have to be reversed.

Backing into a diagonal spot not intended for this, especially in an implied or explicit one way lane could cause problems for other traffic whether parking or leaving.

(Just a guess from the lights and moves description. Or it's just backing into a straight spot which is nothing out of the ordinary. I've never heard of "flat parking" in Tennessee.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I thought of when I saw the term was when you pay a fixed rate, rather than per-hour... But, based on the story, I don't think that's what you meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, never heard of it.

South and Central Florida chiming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Seriously, who thinks this is a good idea? I'm curious how many people get rear-ended when they come to a stop and start backing up.

The advantage is that you get to see all angles of the area just before you do the most risky thing: backing up. Leaving, you have clear vision: it's just like a merge.

Obviously, you signal and brake before reversing (as the diagram shows), so the car behind knows what you're doing. You require a lot less room behind you than parallel parking, and I expect it's more space efficient.

Diagonal parking also has the advantage that doors don't open into doors, so you don't get (un)loading of a car interfering with the (un)loading of the next car.

Edit: And speaking of loading, the rear of the car isn't sticking out into the street, and you don't have to try to maneuver a loaded shopping cart between cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, flat parking:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
There are hints in my searching that some municipalities are experimenting with enforced back-in diagonal/angled parking as a safety measure. But the pavement paint would have to be reversed.

I recently encountered that when I was getting my hair cut at place in a newly-erected strip-mall. The lane that enters this place has that back-in diagonal stuff, and I remarked to the woman cutting my hair that it was all backwards, and someone clearly made a mistake.

She told me they did this on purpose. So that when pulling out of the slot, the car doesn't have to back up.

What? I mean, seriously what the heck?

It's like this:

First we have this plague of roundabouts infesting Our Fair City, and now this ridiculous reverse-diagonal parking?

Has everyone gone crazy, or just me?

Oh, and I don't know what flat parking is either.

Roundabouts are great. Unfortunately a lot of people around here panic when they approach one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

"Flat parking?" I said as I stuck out my left hand and moved it back toward toward my body is an flattened S shaped motion. "You know, FLAT PARKING!"

From your description, it sounds like you're describing parallel parking. I've never heard the phrase "flat parking".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nope. it must be a family or incredibly regional colloquial term
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
never heard the term "flat parking" before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another voice for having never heard the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
God, I hope they never institute that Reverse Angle parking where I live. I hate backing into a parking space and I hate people who insist on doing it, despite how much it affects other cars around them. (It seems like a big dick thing to a lot of folks in my area.) Backing out of a parking space is easy; you just wait for traffic to clear. Backing into a restricted space can be hard for me and always induces anxiety. Sounds like a really bad idea, which means it's sure to be a reality some time soon.

P.S. No es comprehendo "Flat Parking".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of Fiat parking, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
I've heard of Fiat parking, if that helps.

Yes. This is what I thought. Yet another reason to hate sans-serif fonts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.