Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The few times we've played, there's usually one player who has an obvious advantage before the game even begins. Sometimes it's the race and sometimes it's the board and in the worst cases it's both.

I know that there's an prebuilt setup provided by FFG and we may try this next time but I thought of the following option and wonder if anyone has tried anything like it or has an opinion on its value:
Quote:
Board is setup per the rules with the following exceptions:

∙ All system tiles are face up in a single pool with players able to choose any one they want.
∙ Home system location is undetermined until the rest of the board is complete.

Beginning with a randomly chosen starting player and proceeding clockwise, each player chooses any race from a face up pool. Then, the last person to choose a race chooses where to place his home system on the board and system placement goes backward in order with the original starting player placing last.

I know that part of any game is learning to play against a winner but this weekend, players were ready to concede in the middle of the 2nd turn and actually did concede at the end of the 5th. There was little I saw that could have been done to change that outcome . .

Your input is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I guarantee you Bereg/Lirta IV will be the first system selected by the first player. The distribution of 'good' systems themselves are not equal, and the last player of the first round is, perhaps, screwed. Do the normal rules (no two home systems together, no two reds together, etc.) still apply? It's not clear to me that the above method is more 'fair' than any other.

I have, on the other hand, played with the 'pre-setup' provided by FFG. With this, there are almost no complaints at fairness in play. There are always going to be situational advantages to the races, but that's the fun of playing ameritrash...all players are not generated equal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the fun is to make the best with what you have. I have seen the player with the best setup end the game in last place, as the players usually even out the game as it progresses.

CrankyPants wrote:
players were ready to concede in the middle of the 2nd turn and actually did concede at the end of the 5th. There was little I saw that could have been done to change that outcome . .

When someone is ahead, the other players tend to pick on him/her. I've yet to see a player hold off 2 attackers for more than 2 turns, and 3 on 1 is usually quite decisive. You don't have to go to that extreme, as political pressure alone may sometimes be enough, or a mixture of both political and military.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
@galvornman
Maybe I didn't explain the setup well or maybe I'm missing your point but it seems there's a misunderstanding.

The normal home systems will continue to be the race's home and they will be placed in the normal board locations -- it's just that the players get to select which location they get in reverse order of what races are chosen.

Also, board set up will take place concurrently with tile selection so choosing Bereg/Lirta IV first will only guarantee that it's adjacent to Mercatol Rex and won't guarantee that the player playing it will be nearby.

Hope that helps!

@Hawk
More explanation is probably in order: We were playing with the Age of Empires rules (all objectives public) and Imperium II. The game ending card was at turn 7.

I was was playing the Mindnet and the other 2 were playing notably weaker races. They decided right from the start to go after me but since I was playing the Mindnet race in a very favorable part of the board I expanded much faster than they could and just took a huge lead in resources and influence. After some skirmishes at Mecatol Rex I was attacked outright in Turn 5 but it was clear that there was no way for the others to beat me in points before the game ended; and I would have eaten up their resources in the process keeping them from using them to get points they needed.

Granted, it was a decidedly lopsided setup but other matches have shown this problem as well -- one player gets shafted and spends the next 5 hours just going through the motions, another player strikes gold and wipes up the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the preset boards, or better yet, just leave Bereg/Lirta and Abyz/Fria OUT of the planet draw. I love the galaxy creation step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.