Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Mansions of Madness, and I am thinking about replacing Betrayal with it at an upcoming event, but I have questions, since I have never played it and only played Betrayal twice. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

The event:

5 Players, including me, two adult non-gamers, one adult gamer, and one beginning gamer who is 10 years old.

Three to three and half hour Halloween event, where we will also play Mysterium, so we will have about 60-90 minutes for this second game.

Questions?
Does Mansions of Madness 2nd edition work better than Betrayal for new players, now that the App does the heavy lifting?

Which is more likely to be a shorter experience, if I chose the shortest scenario in Mansions?

Is Mansions of Madness thematically appropriate for a 10 year old? I know Betrayal would be fine for this particular child.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your time limit is 60-90 minutes, you can stop right there. I don't remember how long betrayal takes, but the short scenario time estimate of 60-90 minutes for MoM is nowhere near accurate. I have played that one three times, and even on my third run it took 2 hours. The first run took much longer.

I like MoM better, but you will run out of time.

As for age appropriateness, it's tough to say. Some of the flavour text is fairly gory. That said, it's up to the player with the app to read the text out loud, so you could always leave out the stuff that goes too far. The in game text is normally fine, but some of the combat result description can go into graphic territory. There is absolutely nothing that is visually inappropriate.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All that said, if you can find the time, mansions is really great!

In Betrayal, I used to get kind of annoyed at how arbitrary everything was. The story only really kicked in halfway (when the betrayal occurred), and due to the nature of the game sometimes it just didn't work.

Mansions is much more consistent. The layout, items and monsters will vary between each play through, the whole thing is structured with timed events, etc, to work every time. From a replayability perspective, that can be seen as a negative. After you've played a few times you know that certain things will happen, but in my opinion it makes for a better overall experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.