16 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Photoshop Edition of Magic Realm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

I'm an old fan of Magic Realm, and when my original tiles and counters - after 30+ years of honorable service - have become almost useless I have decided to draw a "deluxe" version with Photoshop.

If someone is interested to see (and eventually copy and print) it the files are downloadable at the address:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WYqaRijEaSRXdoU3dwNm5xTU...

I have not attempted to upload them here at BGG because even saved in JPG format are about 400 Mb! (The originals are over 4 Gb....).

There are all the counters and tiles of the base game, plus 27 new tiles (rivers, hills, swamps....) that I have downloaded from various sites and used as basis for my (not yet completed) expansion.

There are also the counters for the new monsters that I want to use in my personal expansion, but they are not definitive: ignore them for the moment, but the base game is complete.

Enjoy!

Fabio Patris
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. These are fantastic. I especially like the art on the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree very nice!

Do you have the character action/move chits complete?

I ask - if you want - I could turn this into a vassal edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
No, for the characters counters I have used a set that I had found times ago on the WEB, I don't remember where.

They are rather nice, but since I haven't made them I have not uploaded them as mine to not claim unjust fame...

Anyway, to complete the set I'll add them in the files. Maybe in the next days I'll redo also them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I found it amusing that the bats are ... manta rays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

Ah! I knew that someone would have noticed it!

Yes, they are Manta. I found simply irresistible the image... the others D&D bats I have found where rather dull...

I have used mostly D&D images to keep a certain consistency.

Some monsters and natives are second-hand choice: I'm not very satisfied with the Order and the Goblins, for example.

Anyway, the centerpiece of the work are the tiles, the monsters/natives have received much less attention.

I have found rather useful the warnings with the indication of the monsters that will be activated and the die roll of activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice use of older dnd art! Gricks for wyrms, I like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
For see immediately in use the new tiles, I have added a directory named "tiles_RealSpeak":

you can substitute the files GIF to those in Realmspeak for playing with them without delay (obviously the resolution is much degraded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, beautiful treatment on the tiles! I am tempted to build a second set to go with my Carthaginian redesign. I've been intrigued by the fan expansion tiles and there hasn't been anything much out there as far as updated art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew clark
United Kingdom
leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - excellent graphic design!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I mistaken or is that Skeletor from He-man as the wraith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
I don't know, for me it's only an image that I have found on-line searching "Wraith".whistle

The new monsters are only a first draft, I haven't even clearly defined which of them really use.

I'm working to a complete set of rules such as those of the excellent Expansion already on the WEB, borrowing shamelessly from it, but it's not an easy task.

In the next days (hopefully) I'll upload an updated version of the counters.

The Tiles, which are the focus of my redesign, instead are a definitive version: I'm only considering to add a Tile with a lake and fall as source of the river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! It's really a lot of hard work.

The tiles look fantastic. I like them even more than Karim's. How about also providing the counter images for Realmspeak as well?

PS I've used similar images to make a revamped version of Arcanum. (Surely mine is much more frugal compared with your redesign) MR fans may also feel interested in this hidden gem. It's much more akin to MR than Mage Knight, but with its own very interesting and unique mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

The software of Realmspeak makes easy substitute the tiles (and even so my tiles create a few distorsion since I have slightly moved the Clearings within the tiles - and the resolution is much, much worse than my original), but is difficult to change the counters due to the small size of them: only a drawing as simple as the original is feasible.

By the way, I must say that I liked very much the original monsters and natives: I have redesigned them only for compatibility with the counters of the my projected expansion.

The artist had made a very good job: for example, I prefer the original Troll to mine, but I have found impossible to find images of new monsters matching that style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true. The appeal of these hand drawn images is still what computer graphics lacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools

I have updated the Counters files with some new graphics and some missing counters: the Transform table beasts and the Dwellings.

For now only the counters of the base game are on-line, I'm busy evaluating what new monsters, natives etc. create for the new Tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.