Subject: Impulse is NOT a space/sci-fi game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pruitt
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
It is an abstract strategy game with a vague science fiction theme loosely hung onto its frame. The most sci-fi thing about it is that the playing pieces look like space ships.

Imagine if you took Chess, changed the playing pieces to different kinds of space ships, and drew outer space art on the squares on the board. That's basically what Impulse is.

I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. It's a well-written, tight (and entertaining) rule set with a strategic depth surprising for a such a little game. But for those of us to whom theme is important, those of us who would rather play a mediocre game that actually simulated running an interstellar empire than a brilliant abstract game, Impulse will not scratch that itch.

I write this not to damn the game, but to let others who, like me, might have been looking for a light space civ simulation, know what they are getting. (Yes, I read a few reviews before purchasing, but none adequately conveyed how abstract this game really was).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chudyk is known from his math/abstract designs, not from the theme of his games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to a certain degree. But concepts like researching technologies, exploring, and gathering resources feel very much like a sci-fi "4X" game, not so much something I'd expect from an abstract game.

As well, we've been playing with a PnP of the beautiful fan redesign, and I can say that the artwork helps quite a bit for getting into the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that I'm put in the placer of someone making decisions about how to make their space empire flourish.

But there's no art or event cards so ymmv. I also find dominant species highly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a fair point, but the way how crazy things can happen really quickly and the way you can reseach and mine things to make other things more powerful feel somewhat sci fi'ey to me.

To put it another way, I have a hard time imagining a game less complex than this where you could not raise the same objections.

Race for the galaxy for example? It is not hard to argue that it is an abstract game with soace pictures. Which sci fi games do you consider thematic? TI3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few games that can't have their theme stripped away from them and themed into something else. The only space/sci-fi that I can think that would be hard to do that to would be High Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We all know Impulse is a game about cooking sausages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was pretty sure it was a game about farming...you sure its not a game about farming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
And here I was pretty sure it was a game about farming...you sure its not a game about farming? :what:

I'm sure you were thinking about Among the Stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I have that one too and, under all that bling, I'm damned sure that's really just Sim City. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Then I suppose Impulse is a game about space carrots. Of the standing and lying types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nahhhh...now, if we had some orange colored pieces, maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you be sure space carrots are orange ? Space theme for the win !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paptimus wrote:
Sokadr wrote:
And here I was pretty sure it was a game about farming...you sure its not a game about farming?

I'm sure you were thinking about Among the Stars.

So about game about farming, because Among the Stars =Fields of Green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can fly around and blow up ships and the pieces look like rockets...that's sci-fi!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.