6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: using surges same turn or attack. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fenrill Aran
msg tools
Hello,

I have a question about surges. Can you spend surges every attack you make even if you attack multiple times with the same character? the rulebook says you can use surges only once per attack, so basically a hero using his two actions to attack can activate the surges in both attacks and same thing with the overlord if he uses frenzy? We have been playing it you so you can only use them once per turn but now I am not entirely sure. If I get 3 surges in one attack I understand I cannot use the same ability 3 times, but if its another attack action can I use the new rolled surges?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Yes, surges are per attack action not per turn. The only limitation is, as you pointed out, that you can't use the same surge multiple times in a single attack action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Which essentially means if you roll two surges with an attack and you have a weapon with [surge]: +1 damage, you cannot use both surges to do +2 damage. If you attack again and roll surges, you can use them for the same ability. But that means two actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenrill Aran
msg tools
same thing would be for the OL frenzy card right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Every attack consists of 5 steps (declare target, roll dice, check range, spend surges, deal damage). You may use a surge ability once per written instance per "spend surges" step. It doesn't matter how you were able to make the attack (whether it required an action or not) if you're arriving at a new "spend surges" step, you're free to spend your surges without worrying at all about how they were spent before.

When I say "per written instance", you can spend 2 surges on "surge: +1" with the chipped greataxe (but not 3) because it is written on the card twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenrill Aran
msg tools
got it, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.