Subject: Lower gun casualty rating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have just purchased the game and its quite a bit more complicated than anything i have played before so i am slowly getting my head around the rules. I am working through the training scenario in the remastered edition.

I think i need to know rule 33 for the training scenario as one of the units has a bazooka. Is this correct? The "stop" bit after rule 16 says i only need additional rules 51-53.

I read the rules on the SATW i am confused about the phrase "The second (lower) casualty number of the gun is also used"
My question is what is it used for?

A "gun" is defined as "a unit representing a piece of on board artillery and its operating crew". Is the bazooka unit then a "gun" as referred to in 33?

I am a bit confused. Sorry!

I think to simplify my query what is the range of the bazooka squad against the weapon team. The scenario suggest its 4 which makes me think that the lower casualty number is the range of the SATW against a WT. Therefore the actual range for the bazooka team is only when it is firing normally (not using the bazooka). I have read and re-read the PAC now and realise that in 1945 the range of the FP / range of the bazooka is 11/4 - so thats where the 4 comes from so i think i answered that part of my own queston now

I am guessing the fire power is the fire power of the unit +1 (the upper number on the proficienct fire power). Is that correct? Do i also get a +1 modifier if the WT is in my range? (as on the PAC)

Is the SATW number the number in white next to the out line of the bazooka?

Many thanks

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi John,

Yes, I think there is a small mismatch in the "stop" rules in that the scenario enables you to use units that have future rules for them (rule 33). You can handle this in two ways:

Approach 1: just ignore the extra benefit the bazooka has against weapon teams. It's not really a big deal so you can safely ignore it.

Approach 2: allow the bazooka to get the extra +1 on the normal Fire Power (FP) against weapon teams (the MG team). Other than that effect, you don't need to get into any more details about a bazooka.

You don't need the PAC / SATW rules till later, if you follow the recommended order of scenarios. I strongly recommend playing the first few scenarios before getting into guns/SATW, especially if you are having complexity issues.

Guns are a totally different thing than bazookas.
- Bazookas are hand-held weapons that happen to have an anti-tank capability. They are carried by some squads. All the SATW / vehicle / gun rules should be avoided at first, as they should be layered in in future scenarios as needed.
- Guns are very large pieces of equipment that need a full crew to operate. The guns are typically as big as a tank's main gun (in some cases basically one and the same gun), but are towed around. (There are exceptions... but nothing like a bazooka / panzerfaust etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Yes i think i will ignore the SATW now and get my head around normal move, fire, op fire rules.

However, i am now curious to learn so if someone can translate the fire power of a bazooka against a weapon team and range (and the reason why using the PAC final column) i would find that very helpful for future turns.

I just tried scenario 1 solo and it is starting to click a bit now with standard fire / move / op fire rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnrp wrote:
Yes i think i will ignore the SATW now and get my head around normal move, fire, op fire rules.

However, i am now curious to learn so if someone can translate the fire power of a bazooka against a weapon team and range (and the reason why using the PAC final column) i would find that very helpful for future turns.
Bazookas/Panzerschrecks/PIATs get +1 against WTs at a range as denoted by the range on the SATW chart: Bazookas & Panzerschreks at range 4, PIATs at range 3.

As or why, that's what the rules say
Bottom right corner of page 10 has all you need:
Quote:
When firing at an unconcealed Gun or WT within Range of the SATW, a Squad armed with a Bazooka, Panzerschreck, or PIAT may increase its FP by 1.
Those all happen to be SATW that do not change in range throughout the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response.

I am just hitting a mental block on this...

I understand my bazooka stats are 11 firepower with a range of 4 as in the opening training scenario we are in year 1945.

If i want to use my bazooka squad and i want to fire at a weapon team i get plus 1 making my firepower 12. Is that correct?

I also think i found the answer to my "use lower gun casualty rating" query. On page 12 it says that the number after the slash on a gun is used when fire upon by a bazooka within range..

Therefore the last column is telling me that if i am using the bazooka against the gun then, when checking for elimination i used the lower rating. I get it now and the italics only applies to the situation when i am firing a bazooka at a gun.

Also on the PAC the section "infantry vs vehicles SATW" doesnt apply does it because i am not shooting a vehcle. Therefore i do not have to modify my fire power by the SATW number nor deduct for each hex of range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnrp wrote:
Thanks for the response.

I am just hitting a mental block on this...

I understand my bazooka stats are 11 firepower with a range of 4 as in the opening training scenario we are in year 1945.

If i want to use my bazooka squad and i want to fire at a weapon team i get plus 1 making my firepower 12. Is that correct?
No. When firing on a WT you use the squads (proficient) fire power and add +1 if within range of the bazooka.
The strength value in the SATW chart is only used when firing on vehicles, i.e. something that has an armour value.

Quote:
I also think i found the answer to my "use lower gun casualty rating" query. On page 12 it says that the number after the slash on a gun is used when fire upon by a bazooka within range..

Therefore the last column is telling me that if i am using the bazooka against the gun then, when checking for elimination i used the lower rating. I get it now and the italics only applies to the situation when i am firing a bazooka at a gun.
Sounds right
Though just to make something clear: gun =/= WT =/= squad with bazooka. Those are three distinct unit types and all have slightly different rules.
Squads with bazookas act like infantry squads except when using the SATW against guns/WTs/vehicles. Against WTs the difference to normal inf vs inf fire is minimal, against guns it's ever so slightly larger, and against vehicles all special SATW rules need to be considered.
WTs are inf squads with a bunch of special rules.
Guns share some rules with inf and some with vehicles, but are neither for the purpose of the rules.

Not sure if that clarification was needed, but I got the feeling that the topic tended to switch rapidly from firing at guns to firing at WTs and just wanted to make sure that those are not considered the same.

Quote:
Also on the PAC the section "infantry vs vehicles SATW" doesnt apply does it because i am not shooting a vehcle. Therefore i do not have to modify my fire power by the SATW number nor deduct for each hex of range?
You are correct that that section only applies when shooting at a vehicle, but the modifiers in that section are never applied to the fire power. If firing a SATW at a vehicle you first need to pass a SATW check and then a hit/kill roll based on the fire power and armour value. The SATW check is basically a morale check with modifiers from this section of the PAC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the answer. It is very clear now. Really appreciate the help of everyone who responded.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.