$20.00
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have they evolved? What's the scene?

A related question, since I don't know much about these games, is whether there are any worthwhile that are also highly replayable. A quick google seemed to suggest most aren't or can only be played once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually just did our first. We found it sealed at a thrift shop for $3 vs $17 or so on Amazon. We had a blast, but we were the right group for it. We all dressed up in thematic clothes and had a good Italian dinner to go with the mafia murder mystery. We were all in character all night, or at least until we had to pick the kids up from the sitter.

It was a great experience, but it wasn't really game like. We were more so acting predefined parts, so it was more like a play. It was still a lot of fun, and we are talking about picking up one of the other scenarios. It really is one use only though. Once you know the story, there is no more surprise element to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
From what I've seen they've evolved into escape room games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: How are the murder mystery dinner-party games these days? "Baulking Undead"
robot ~"They're A-L-L DEAD, Dave!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RileyD wrote:

Do you have examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess RileyD means somthing like this:

https://www.escaperoomscardiff.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

thanks for that, Welshmilla.

I'm hoping to do a dinner party, so that might be an evolution too far for me. I'll look at the format and see if it's compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freeform Games are still doing pretty well from what I know - http://www.freeformgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itsastickup wrote:

A related question, since I don't know much about these games, is whether there are any worthwhile that are also highly replayable. A quick google seemed to suggest most aren't or can only be played once.

Highly replayable, no, Although if they're replayable at all depends a lot on how secret they are.

If you're playing with gamers, "parlour larps" might be more useful to you. Most murder mysteries are written for non gamers. You can get a lot of those free as well. I can recommend some if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
The Escape the Room games are a good alternative, although again, not replayable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
itsastickup wrote:
RileyD wrote:

Do you have examples?

The three most common ones I've seen are:
Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor
Escape the Room: Secret of Dr. Gravely's Retreat
Escape Room: The Game

and a kickstarter that hasn't fulfilled yet
Escape Room In A Box: The Werewolf Experiment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of replayable murder mystery games, unless the "host" runs it with a whole different group of people each time.

There are some murder mysteries that are, IMO, way better than the ones that you generally find at Goodwill. I think they're called "How to Host a Murder" or something, and they often have cheesy 80's-looking covers and the whole thing is completely scripted, even what you say... no thanks.

One good alternative is called "Playing with Murder." You will definitely not pay Goodwill prices, but, as with most things, you get what you pay for. It was a great experience for everyone and left space for creativity (for example, instead of telling you what to say, it just had you going for a goal or 2 and you come up with the dialogue).

There are other great sites that have "advanced" murder mysteries you can buy. All sorts of options out there, mostly only found online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that unless you hang out with a bunch of thespians, there's not enough "game" in the average murder mystery to hold much interest.

Pete (does have a bunch of actor-types who enjoy murder/mystery in his circle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Freeform Games are still doing pretty well from what I know - http://www.freeformgames.com/

These are the ones I would recommend if you want a 'game'. Not replayable, as you'll know too much information after you play (who did the murder, what are people's sub-goals, game twists, etc.)

But they're really well done, and you are given a persona with goals and knowledge, but the rest of how you act, play, and solve is up to you. The game could progress or resolve differently depending on what the characters do.

There are other Murder Mystery Dinner games that give you a role with a script and you play it out, but there is no 'game'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
robot ~"They're A-L-L DEAD, Dave!"

Everybody's dead Dave.

I just sold a bunch on Craigslist that had been sitting in my closet for the past 20 years or so. So I think people are still discovering the games. I don't feel a need to play each and every one, but every so often is good and fun enough.

Only downside is finding a working tape cassette player, but by using google, I can see that a few have been encoded into mp3 format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry J
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have an annual murder mystery party and it's always a hit. You need the right group. Somehow it evolves into eating, drinking, and having fun playing the characters more than actually solving the mystery. Garage sales and thrift stores are great to get the old boxed ones from the 80's cheaply. There are many on-line sites that sell downloadable versions - these tend to a better selection of themes. Since we do this annually I pick them up whenever I find them. Let me know if you want to trade - I am in process of setting that all up. As for replay value, I've only seen one mm game that was actually a set of 3 separate murders so in a way you get 3 games for your investment.

Escape rooms are really fun. I don't see how the experience of a boxed version will be as good as actually being locked in a room with 4-5 friends. Here in PA there are 3 companies that do them and they are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
sirollerblader wrote:

Escape rooms are really fun. I don't see how the experience of a boxed version will be as good as actually being locked in a room with 4-5 friends.

They're not.

But they're still fun and are a comparable evening event/game to the murder mystery boxes.

Proper escape rooms seems to be going crazy now. There's four in Cardiff now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.