15 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth the price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Now that the game is out, I wanted to know what people think? Is the game worth the cost? How's replability? After you beat it do you keep the years separate or mix the cards?

I really want the game but would like to know what people think first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
If you eat your burrito over a tortilla, anything that falls out will simply start building your next burrito!
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say yes.

I finished all seven years. When I play again I'll probably start over at year 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $43 (including shipping/taxes), and have played 7 times so far (we're in game 4 now). My wife is a moderate HP fan, and I'm a mild fan. I prefer light to medium weight games, while she is a casual gamer.

It has already been totally worth it for us. This has replaced Legendary (Marvel and Encounters) as our co-op deckbuilder of choice.

I think we would be happy playing game 4 another 10 times, at least, but we won't (yet, anyway), because we'll be working our way up to game 7. I'm curious to see whether we end up preferring game 7 over game 4. Either way, I expect this game to be a keeper for us to enjoy for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Girlfriend and I have played through game 7 as two players, and we will probably play through again soon.

This has been a great gateway game, as we have played with a few different groups of usually "tentative gamers"(who need a lot of advice and reminding). However the HP theme and the first few books got them INTO the game. So much so, that they ask to come over and play.

The component quality is quite good as well, we will definitely be holding on to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely worth it, really great co-op deck-builder. My wife and I have played eleven times, including Game 7 four times (record of 2-2). We won't go back to earlier difficulties unless we're introducing others to the game, as it's a stepped tutorial rather than a campaign. I couldn't imagine playing something less than the full meal deal. Replayability is definitely there once you have all the components in play, especially the Game 6+ additions.

Lots of strategy, lots of decision-making, looks great and some nice metal bits, and a real co-op experience with plenty of helping each other and no real opportunities for an alpha player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I played through the entire campaign with my wife over the course of a few nights. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

We have since rolled the game back to year 1 & 3 (skipped 2) to show two players who were entirely unfamiliar with deck builders what it was about.

Another group we started at 3 after a brief primer on the "lessons learned" from years 1 & 2 for the various characters and up-to-then known villains.

Everyone's loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
John1701 wrote:
After you beat it do you keep the years separate or mix the cards?

I expect you'll be separating them often. If you are teaching the game to people, then you'll want to start earlier than game 7. I've found the game underestimates most people when they suggest starting at 3 for people experienced with deckbuilders. I taught the game to a number of people at a game con this past weekend. The people who were familiar with deck builders were bored with game 3 (it's almost an auto-win scenario), and even the people who had never played a similar game picked it up easily and won with no problem. Game 4 is probably a better starting point for experienced gamers (especially with a teacher who knows the game).

My future plays will probably stick with game 7, but it is hard and I like that. If you want a more relaxed experience, you will probably want to go back to 5 or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Blitz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as far as I am concerned, just by virtue of getting my HP fan wife playing games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blitzoid wrote:
Yes, as far as I am concerned, just by virtue of getting my HP fan wife playing games!

Would be a reason here as well :-)

My main problem is the fact that it's not available in Europe. Ordering it via EBay costs about 100 dollar (including shipping and taxes).....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imported mine to the UK from the US as it's not available here, so I actually paid over the odds for it...

However, initially I was happy, it's a nice box and the package was nice with the extra touches printed on the back of the board, metal pieces, etc....all lovely! ....

But then I got to the cards - they're not the best cards in the world but what I was really disappointed about was the different shades of brown on the backs of some of the cards- oh, and one card had a tear/scuff/defect on the back as well straight out of the box.

I was surprised to see everyone saying how good the quality was - I guess I was unlucky. And being in the UK I don't suppose I'll be able to get replacements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Blitz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashly wrote:
blitzoid wrote:

Would be a reason here as well :-)

My main problem is the fact that it's not available in Europe. Ordering it via EBay costs about 100 dollar (including shipping and taxes).....

Try this one:
[url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harry-Potter-Hogwarts-Battle-Game-...gYbYAAOSw4shYAD31[/url]
40 UKP + 8.18 UKP postage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeggil wrote:
But then I got to the cards - they're not the best cards in the world but what I was really disappointed about was the different shades of brown on the backs of some of the cards- oh, and one card had a tear/scuff/defect on the back as well straight out of the box.

That sounds exactly like my set (I uploaded an image of the discoloration to BGG). After we have played through game 7, I'll figure out what replacements to request. I suspect I'll live with the discoloration, and just replace any damaged cards (the tear, plus some dark arts cards that arrived bent). At least the discoloration is spread pretty evenly through the starting and Hogwarts decks.

If the publisher won't send replacements to the UK, perhaps you can get some kind soul to send them to you or even bring them over if they are visiting anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Butler
United States
Prairie Village
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only done 1 play through (games 1-7) with my wife. We took about 10 hours to play entirely (split into one 7 hour chunk, then played game 7 by itself for another 3).
At a price point of $45 (about what I paid) that works out to $4.50 an hour. That alone makes it worth it.
Plus it gets my wife to play and peaks the interest of others who might not want to explore alternate games. I would argue this is a great gateway game, but it also grows into a heavy deckbuilder. It's also like buying 7 games in one (although to be fair, game 7 will be the bulk of your later plays). I would encourage any and all HP fans to pick this up, for those new to deckbuilders and those experienced looking to expand their collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Burke
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
My wife got this for us for Christmas. So far it is great.

We are both huge HP fans. (Costumes, Several sets of the books, Midnight events to get the next book, Vacations to go to HP world in Orlando, etc.)

We have played through game 6 and have it set for game 7 when we get some more time. Game 6 took us quite a while because we are refining the finer points of our play strategy and figuring out the new cards as we get them.
We have not had the chance to play with more people yet but we are looking forward to it.

We highly recommend this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.