Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excuse me if this has been answered before, but I haven't found anything like this. I'd like to know whether there is a fixed timing for the activation of Overdrive abilites and Schematics cards when both say "before you execute your Command Line". Here's a specific example ...

Ziggs' Overdrive ability reads:
Quote:
Before you execute your Command Line, you may repair any 1 damage from your Mech.

In Mission 1, Ziggs also gets his first Schematics card, Hex Minefield, which contains the clause:
Quote:
Play before you execute your Command Line.

This card is a one-use ability, with the special feature that you don't have to discard it if you opt to draw a damage card.

So the obvious 'exploit' is that you first play Hex Minefield, then draw a damage card (and execute it immediately), then use the Overdrive ability to get rid of that damage card rightaway in case it went into your Command Line. I haven't found anything in the rules that would prevent this, and I'm not even sure that it needs to be prevented, even though it makes keeping Hex Minefield a bit easier (assuming you've kept it until Overdrive mode has been reached).

So this left me wondering: Is there a rule clarifying that Schematics cards have to be used before Overdrive abilities (or vice versa), or is the order of activation actually the player's choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you've found some healthy synergy there... Exploit it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear that we didn't bend the rules too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I thought this combo was OP at first, but when you consider that a damage card can mess up your plans for that entire turn (even if you eventually repair it, you still execute it first, not to mention the immediate use damage), it's far more riskier than it initially seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed, this combo isn't gamebreakingly strong, and as I said earlier, it only kicks in anyway if you draw a slotted damage card in the first place.

However, I don't know if other Schematics cards added in later missions will make a stronger combo/exploit possible, so I thought it would be good to have general clarification on the order of resolving these effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.