Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gamers,

Prezcon will sponsor at Tournament at the upcoming Prezcon in Charlottesville, Virginia. The Convention will run from February 20-26, 2017.

On Monday morning of the first day, Holdfast: North Africa is scheduled to be played in a continuous format. Yours truly will be the GM.

I encourage all gamers to check out Prezcon especially if you enjoy block games. At Prezcon, you will be able to play one block game after the next.
Columbia Games has it's own Convention within the Organization.

I have found over the years that I have had some great experiences, met new friends and most importantly shared a bunch of laughs. Prezcon is low-grade completion, meaning most of your opponents are cordial, friendly, and helpful when playing.

I like to play but I am also a social type- this convention is perfect for me.

If you plan to be there on Monday, let me know. I would also appreciate any insight or recommendations you may have regarding a tournament play for Holdfast North Africa. I know many are a bit down on the game, but I have played in some tournament games that have been around for half a century, and those games have been slightly modified and often times there are "bids" of sorts to play a side.

Regards,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Why did you choose Africa over Russia?

Many people feel Africa is so unbalanced as to be unplayable, please post the results of the tourny I will be interested in the stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a bid system might work, hard to say.
I would say that both players could bid to play the axis at +1,+2,+3 rp to start the game. This would be in consideration of each sides starting rp. Whoever bids lower gets the axis. To keep the rp from getting out of hand,you could adjust the RP as a differential(example: 1 player bids for the axis at +2rp and wins the bid. The Axis would go up 1 rp and the allies would go down 1 rp, if the winning bid is +3 then the axis goes up 1 or 2 and the allies go down 1 or 2 respectively(so long as the total difference is three) I would probably hard limit the bidding at +3rp, more than that would minimize or completely completely negate the Malta rule. Also, the Allies bump of 2 rp at certain points in the game would be unchanged, the Allies did eventually win the battle of logistics and catch up to and surpass the axis in supplies, men and material. If players bids tie, then rebid or flip a coin.
I don't believe anyone would of ever playtested a bidding system in this exact game, but I believe there were discussions on bidding in the Holdfast:Korea game threads(but just to be clear, while that game is also considered unbalanced by most players, it is of no doubt that North Africa is even more unbalanced).
The advantages of bidding it out is that there should then be less need for other house rules to adjust for balance(but I have a firm believe that the rp situation is not the primary cause of this games unbalance)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Why did you choose Africa over Russia?

Many people feel Africa is so unbalanced as to be unplayable, please post the results of the tourny I will be interested in the stats.

The answer is there are three or four east front games on tap- just got off the phone with Justin- there were a lot of folks who enjoyed the game back in June Prezcon- so it's on the schedule.

I'll give some stats after the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
Perhaps a bid system might work, hard to say.
I would say that both players could bid to play the axis at +1,+2,+3 rp to start the game. This would be in consideration of each sides starting rp. Whoever bids lower gets the axis. To keep the rp from getting out of hand,you could adjust the RP as a differential(example: 1 player bids for the axis at +2rp and wins the bid. The Axis would go up 1 rp and the allies would go down 1 rp, if the winning bid is +3 then the axis goes up 1 or 2 and the allies go down 1 or 2 respectively(so long as the total difference is three) I would probably hard limit the bidding at +3rp, more than that would minimize or completely completely negate the Malta rule. Also, the Allies bump of 2 rp at certain points in the game would be unchanged, the Allies did eventually win the battle of logistics and catch up to and surpass the axis in supplies, men and material. If players bids tie, then rebid or flip a coin.
I don't believe anyone would of ever playtested a bidding system in this exact game, but I believe there were discussions on bidding in the Holdfast:Korea game threads(but just to be clear, while that game is also considered unbalanced by most players, it is of no doubt that North Africa is even more unbalanced).
The advantages of bidding it out is that there should then be less need for other house rules to adjust for balance(but I have a firm believe that the rp situation is not the primary cause of this games unbalance)

The differential might be a good idea. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Korea is less balanced than Russia, but in Korea you have a shot. In North Africa your only shot as the German player is insanely lucky dice rolling by the German player and insanely terrible dice rolling by the Allied player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewcooter wrote:
Korea is less balanced than Russia, but in Korea you have a shot. In North Africa your only shot as the German player is insanely lucky dice rolling by the German player and insanely terrible dice rolling by the Allied player.

Hello Garrett,

I cannot disagree with your game outcomes....

Yet, those who played at Summer Prezcon liked the game. The liked it enough to put it on the tables at the Winter Con.

I believe a couple of house rules might be in order- I'll be testing a few ideas using the Second Scenario. I will see if it is necessary to create a mini-game- due to time constraints. I am pretty sure I can make N.A. work well enough. here's a couple of ideas-

1)A friend whom I played two or three times also likes the idea that blocks in fortresses do not exert a ZOC for enemy movement and supply.

2) The Italian infantry needs to be addressed- I feel they are too weak- so I am thinking of 1RP to return from the eliminated pile.

3) German blocks need better 88 support- when German units are attacked by British Armor if the Brits roll a one (1) it's a self-hit, in addition to normal combat hits.

Any suggestions you may have to balance the game would be appreciated, and I will test them.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

I hope your event goes well; different strokes, I am glad others enjoy the game. Here's to hoping the next 2 Naval Holdfast games are solid......game on!

My ideas for making it more balanced:

(1) Germans start with 14 RP

(2) No Malta Roll , unless the British commit air resources

(3) Increase the power of Rommel until Monty gets in the game.

(4) Reduce Monty to +1 for Movement and attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Looby
United States
Wadhams
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewcooter wrote:
Matt,

I hope your event goes well; different strokes, I am glad others enjoy the game. Here's to hoping the next 2 Naval Holdfast games are solid......game on!

My ideas for making it more balanced:

(1) Germans start with 14 RP

(2) No Malta Roll , unless the British commit air resources

(3) Increase the power of Rommel until Monty gets in the game.

(4) Reduce Monty to +1 for Movement and attack.

Garrett,

Thanks- No Malta roll- would that mean the air commitment order is reversed, I. e., the allies decide commits followed by the axis?

Thanks-

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do it blind or have the Allies go first. Allies first would probably work best for balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.