Subject: Leaving Earth in 64? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Dickens
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm wondering about the launch window in 64 that leads to Neptune and Uranus. It seems like it must go to the outer planet transfer from Venus fly-by rather than to Jupiter fly-by otherwise the times and skipping Saturn don't make sense. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wdickens wrote:
I'm wondering about the launch window in 64 that leads to Neptune and Uranus. It seems like it must go to the outer planet transfer from Venus fly-by rather than to Jupiter fly-by otherwise the times and skipping Saturn don't make sense. Is this correct?

Not correct in this case.

This thread (Slingshot Years) may help with your understanding of how the table works.

All of the maneuvers in the list go Earth --> Venus ---> Jupiter --> Saturn --> Uranus --> Neptune. If there is a gap, then there isn't a slingshot maneuver available to take you to the next destination when you arrive there.

In the case of the 1964 launch window from Earth via Venus, it can only get you as far as Jupiter. If you happen to be at Uranus Fly-by in 1976 however(having got there via outer planets transfer in 1967) then there is a slingshot window open to get you to Neptune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that you can optionally take more time to arrive at your destination if you use Ion Thrusters. Very handy for arriving where you want, when you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Don't forget that you can optionally take more time to arrive at your destination if you use Ion Thrusters. Very handy for arriving where you want, when you want to.

True for all maneuvers except Slingshot ones, which take exactly the time stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
True for all maneuvers except Slingshot ones, which take exactly the time stated.
Oh, I was wondering about that while my last solo play. Is this somewhere in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, page 8:
Quote:
Regular maneuvers allow you to go faster (for higher difficulty) or slower (to use ion thrusters better). When performing a slingshot maneuver, you must take the exact amount of time listed — no more, and no less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.