Subject: Reconciling 11.14 and 11.21 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Vaz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Question about combat

If one unit is adjacent to two enemy units exerting ZOCs on it in different hexes, who does he attack? (Since all units exerting ZOCs must be attacked). 11.14 says that no unit may attack or be attacked more than once per phase, but 11.21 says that a unit may attack units in more than one adjacent hex. So which one is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
11.21 is 'correct' in this situation, and the one lone Unit shall "Attack" the BOTH-together then. You seemed to have confused 11.14 with this lone Unit as then making 2-separate "Attacks" while it is a single combined kind for resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vaz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Rob, thanks for the quick reply. So to clarify, the attacking unit would attack both units together, even though they are in different hexes? If so, I would total the strengths of both defenders? Or are the attacks separate (i.e., one at a time) to each hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
johnvaz9 wrote:
Rob, thanks for the quick reply. So to clarify, the attacking unit would attack both units together, even though they are in different hexes? If so, I would total the strengths of both defenders? Or are the attacks separate (i.e., one at a time) to each hex?
Yes, they are ONE-combined from the BOTH-together now, in this instance, JUST AS 3 or more are considered such as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vaz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Excellent. Rob thank you for your time in explaining this to me. Got this yesterday and can't wait to get it on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Suppose CW force in hex A is adjacent to Axis forces in B and C, and another CW force in D is adjacent to just C. How is combat resolved? Should A and D add their strength against B+C? Notice that D is NOT adjacent to B however, but I can't think of any other way around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, A must attack B only, and D must attack C only.

The rule means that each unit in a ezoc must attack, and each defending hex must be attacked, but an attacking stack does not have to attack every adjacent hex as long as a different stack can attack it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't A split its attack between B and C, while D attacks C? I mean, when no D then A MUST attack B+C, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. In each individual attack, every attacker must be adjacent to every defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, but my understanding is that it is possible to split a force (NOT a unit) in the same hex as to attack two different and adjacent hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can split a force, not a unit.

You still could not resolve it as a single battle, as one stack is not adjacent to one of the defenders.

What you could do is use one or more units in A to attack B, and all of D plus the rest of stack A to attack C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, a bit off topic but... can you react into a friendly occupied hex which is in enemy ZOC, as to reinforce that very hex for the coming combat phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, assuming you are not overstacked.

You could also move into an empty hex as long as the enemy was already in a friendly ZOC; that enemy would have to attack the reacting unit, which could mean that a single attack has to be broken up into two smaller ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Yes, assuming you are not overstacked.

You could also move into an empty hex as long as the enemy was already in a friendly ZOC; that enemy would have to attack the reacting unit, which could mean that a single attack has to be broken up into two smaller ones.

And that attack, if made with a single unit, will be faced with a total defensive strength even when these enemy units are in different hexes, right? So if A attacks B and C reacts adjacent to A, A will be against B+C even when these two are far apart, but adjacent to A (the phasing unit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if a one-on-one combat becomes a one-on-two combat, the attacker must now fight the combined defenders.

Of course, the reacting unit has to roll for disruption first (8.46).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many thanks for your support. I'm currently drooling over a solo campaign and am rally impressed with the depth and finesse of the game.

I still have a few questions here and there as there are so many little things to keep in mind, but it's well worth it. For instance, only one dump is allowed per hex? And also, air support can be used once per player turn, meaning what exactly? Suppose I have 1 air point, can it be used once during my section of the turn and then once again during the other player's section, potentially making for two uses per turn? 6.21 says AP may be used once each player-turn. Is that it?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 dump, any number of MSUs per hex.

Once per player turn means once in the Axis turn and once in the Allied turn, so twice per game turn, assuming they survive.

I should point out that I really don't like the original (this version) of Desert fox!

The deluxe version has far better supply rules.
Unfortunately, you can't really switch between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I do concur with your assessment concerning supply and how fiddly the system can be as you constantly have to keep track of who got what and from where, total madness. But heck, still a blast from the past!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's odd to see how fortifications don't negate eZOC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's something else improved by the remake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.