Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got to play our first game with the expansion last night (six players). We liked the new tiles, especially how much more movement they seem to allow.

We did run into some problems with trying to parse the rules for haunt #97. Here are the questions we were left with:

1) What is the point of having the traitor not know themselves that they are the traitor? Since the odds are high that I'm not the traitor (5/6 in our game) then I'm always going to try to build up the barricade, rather than add sabotage tiles (until I'm revealed, at which point it is too late). And if I look at another player's tile, I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't tell the others the truth about what I've seen. Since everyone else is likewise motivated, the first person to claim somebody else is the traitor is telling the truth, so there's no opportunity for the traitor to claim otherwise. I imagine this aspect of the haunt was intended to feel like the game "Werewolf", but it just didn't come out that way for us. Suggested improvement: let everyone look at their own tile after dealing them out so they know which they are.

2) The attacks always come against the door with the most Barricades. We couldn't figure out why we would split up building duties across multiple doors and instead simply kept piling on to a single door. Thematically, it seems like the wolves should be probing the weak spots; the attacks should therefore come against the weakest spot. That would force the players to build across multiple doors and spread the players out. With everyone piling into a single room, the traitor (once identified) simply can't come into that room to sabotage the barricade.

3) A point of clarification: in the Special Actions section it states that one can build or inspect. Just want to clarify that the intent is or, not and/or.

4) The rules on what happens when dice rolling occurs during an attack are unclear. Assume there are two barricades on a door and the top one is revealed to be a sabotage tile; it and the next tile are removed, emptying the space. No die is rolled because the rules say a die is rolled if the tile revealed is other than 1-5. This is probably just an overly pedantic way of parsing the rules (it seems obvious that if the stack is empty we should roll a die; non-blank means we lose) but it hints at the problems with how the haunt is written.

The biggest issue is clearly the lack of knowledge that one is the traitor; why wouldn't the traitor know that they were raised by wolves? Seems like something you wouldn't forget. Without that knowledge the clever mechanics for purposely creating or re-positioning sabotaged barricades don't come into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have realized, on thinking about this some more, that there is a "Monty Hall problem" aspect to discovering who the traitor is that we had not considered last night.

Imagine a three player game. At the start of the haunt, I have a 1/3 chance of being the traitor and should probably play that way. As soon as the first non-traitor is revealed my odds of being the traitor jump to 2/3 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem if you're not sure why this is true). At that point I should switch to playing as though I was the traitor (as should the other non-revealed player). I should immediately try to let the wolves in.

It would take me some work to do the math to figure out at what point you'd make that transition in a six player game.

If this was the designer's intent with the hidden nature of the traitor, then bravo, it is extremely clever. But also way too subtle for my group at 11:00 at night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelica F
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
We just played this one last night and were also having issues understanding the dice rolling rules when it came to the wolves.

Per the Secrets of Survival, "If no Barricades remain and a non-blank side was rolled...", I understood it as when all of the barricades from all doors were back in the Shed pile, the next time there is an attack, after the next players turn, they roll a die and if it is a 1 or 2 then the wolves come in.
Am I correct in thinking that or is it just when one door has no Barricades left? If it is just one door, what happens if the tallest stack only has two barricades, as they all do at the beginning of the haunt, and the top Barricade is numbered 1-5? Would you possibly just lose on the very first turn of the haunt?

I wish there was some more clarification for the rules for the Barricades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.