Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Land Claim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Land Claim, Card 066.

I play this game almost exclusively solo, so this is a useless card to me. However, it came out in a four player game last night, and I was unsure exactly how to answer it.

"Place your marker on a non-reserved area. Only you may place a tile here."

The action itself is pretty obvious. That is not the question. However, once you have reserved the area, are you able to place a Greenery tile there even if you would not have been previously allowed? Basically, do you need to work some tiles over to the area to make it legal to place a Greenery tile?

I was unsure, and hadn't thought about it when the card was played. I told the player to go ahead and place a Greenery tile there, as the rule hadn't been made clear a few generations ago when the action was taken, and I didn't feel it would be fair to wait that long and then say "No".

My thinking is that it should not have been allowed, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My read on that is: "No other player may place a tile here."

I would like to get clarification on "non-reserved area" while we're on the subject. Surely this includes Noctis and the off-planet areas, and I'm guessing it also includes Ocean areas. These areas correspond to the only uses of "reserve" in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mokey D Luffy wrote:
Land Claim, Card 066.

I play this game almost exclusively solo, so this is a useless card to me. However, it came out in a four player game last night, and I was unsure exactly how to answer it.

"Place your marker on a non-reserved area. Only you may place a tile here."

The action itself is pretty obvious. That is not the question. However, once you have reserved the area, are you able to place a Greenery tile there even if you would not have been previously allowed? Basically, do you need to work some tiles over to the area to make it legal to place a Greenery tile?

I was unsure, and hadn't thought about it when the card was played. I told the player to go ahead and place a Greenery tile there, as the rule hadn't been made clear a few generations ago when the action was taken, and I didn't feel it would be fair to wait that long and then say "No".

My thinking is that it should not have been allowed, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this.


The card only says that the space is reserved for you. It doesn't say that it gives you any rulebreaking abilities like placing 2 cities next to each other or placing a greenery away from any of your tiles.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Nusferatu wrote:
Mokey D Luffy wrote:
Land Claim, Card 066.

I play this game almost exclusively solo, so this is a useless card to me. However, it came out in a four player game last night, and I was unsure exactly how to answer it.

"Place your marker on a non-reserved area. Only you may place a tile here."

The action itself is pretty obvious. That is not the question. However, once you have reserved the area, are you able to place a Greenery tile there even if you would not have been previously allowed? Basically, do you need to work some tiles over to the area to make it legal to place a Greenery tile?

I was unsure, and hadn't thought about it when the card was played. I told the player to go ahead and place a Greenery tile there, as the rule hadn't been made clear a few generations ago when the action was taken, and I didn't feel it would be fair to wait that long and then say "No".

My thinking is that it should not have been allowed, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this.


The card only says that the space is reserved for you. It doesn't say that it gives you any rulebreaking abilities like placing 2 cities next to each other or placing a greenery away from any of your tiles.


I would agree. I think it's pretty obvious that you still have to follow placement rules, either normal or from a given card, when placing a tile in a spot you have reserved.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Previdi
Italy
Goito
Mantova
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
My read on that is: "No other player may place a tile here."

I would like to get clarification on "non-reserved area" while we're on the subject. Surely this includes Noctis and the off-planet areas, and I'm guessing it also includes Ocean areas. These areas correspond to the only uses of "reserve" in the rules.


I also read the card that way.
Noctis, off-planets and ocean hexes are, in my opinion, the ony reserved areas in the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Nusferatu wrote:
Mokey D Luffy wrote:
Land Claim, Card 066.

I play this game almost exclusively solo, so this is a useless card to me. However, it came out in a four player game last night, and I was unsure exactly how to answer it.

"Place your marker on a non-reserved area. Only you may place a tile here."

The action itself is pretty obvious. That is not the question. However, once you have reserved the area, are you able to place a Greenery tile there even if you would not have been previously allowed? Basically, do you need to work some tiles over to the area to make it legal to place a Greenery tile?

I was unsure, and hadn't thought about it when the card was played. I told the player to go ahead and place a Greenery tile there, as the rule hadn't been made clear a few generations ago when the action was taken, and I didn't feel it would be fair to wait that long and then say "No".

My thinking is that it should not have been allowed, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this.


The card only says that the space is reserved for you. It doesn't say that it gives you any rulebreaking abilities like placing 2 cities next to each other or placing a greenery away from any of your tiles.


I would agree. I think it's pretty obvious that you still have to follow placement rules, either normal or from a given card, when placing a tile in a spot you have reserved.


That is kind of what I thought. It seems that every card that lets you ignore normal placement rules tells you so directly.

Thanks for confirming my opinion of the rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchaney wrote:
I would like to get clarification on "non-reserved area" while we're on the subject. Surely this includes Noctis and the off-planet areas, and I'm guessing it also includes Ocean areas. These areas correspond to the only uses of "reserve" in the rules.


You are right, the reserved areas are for ocean tiles and cities (Noctis City, Ganymede Colony, and Phobos Space Haven). And the Land-Claimed area would also be considered reserved for a certain player.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two locations whose names are bolded. Mons something or other and one other location in the upper left corner of the map. Aside from the "named locations," these are the only ones that are bolded.

What about them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
There are two locations whose names are bolded. Mons something or other and one other location in the upper left corner of the map. Aside from the "named locations," these are the only ones that are bolded.

What about them?

There are 4 bolded named locations. That are the locations where the vulcano could be placed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So are they also reserve spots which shouldn't be covered by player tiles (except for (or until) the volcano tile is played?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
mikecl wrote:
So are they also reserve spots which shouldn't be covered by player tiles (except for (or until) the volcano tile is played?)


No, the places just have their name printed on them, for flavor reasons.

The only reserved spaces are ocean spaces, the space for Noctis City, and the two cities not on Mars
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
mikecl wrote:
So are they also reserve spots which shouldn't be covered by player tiles (except for (or until) the volcano tile is played?)


No, the places just have their name printed on them, for flavor reasons.

The only reserved spaces are ocean spaces, the space for Noctis City, and the two cities not on Mars


Yes that seems to be the gist of the thread alright but what if someone wants to put a volcano and all the spots are taken. Are we sure that it's just for flavour and these spots are also reserve spots? I know in my last game I treated them as such.

The other flavour text describing locations are not bolded. Only these.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The volcanoes aren't named just for flavour, they are also the 4 spots where the tile for Lava Flows can be placed. However, they aren't reserved for that tile (like Noctis City is), you can place other stuff there. If all 4 spots are already occupied, then Lava Flows cannot be played anymore.

See designer answer here: Lava Flows.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
The volcanoes aren't named just for flavour, they are also the 4 spots where the tile for Lava Flows can be placed. However, they aren't reserved for that tile (like Noctis City is), you can place other stuff there. If all 4 spots are already occupied, then Lava Flows cannot be played anymore.

See designer answer here: Lava Flows.


OK! Now there's an answer I can live with because it addresses my specific concern. Thanks! (And thanks for the link.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.