Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I thought I had Goa fully understood, but recently I ran up against an interesting question. The instruction manual says that after the flag is placed, the next player can choose anything adjacent or diagonal to the flag. However when the flag is on the border, the instructions seem to show only adjacent (not diagonal) choices being acceptable. In addition there is specific language that says the flag MUST have a tile adjacent when placed on the edge.

So my question is, can tiles diagonal to the flag be chosen when the flag is on the outside border? Or is diagonal placement reserved for when the flag is in the middle area?

Thanks for any clarifications you can offer.
CSH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The flag must be placed orthogonal to a tile, but the next player may select a tile to the diagonal of it, regardless of if the flag is on the exterior or in the interior.

This can make it harder to "steer" the next player to not having any choice for the tile they auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
when placing the flag, there must be at least one tile orthogonally adjacent to it, but when choosing a tile, you may pick one orthogonal OR diagonal from the flag (subsequent tiles that are chosen must be orthogonal or diagonal from the last chosen tile)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks to both of you for the quick responses.
CSH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When placing the flag on the outside border, you have to place it orthagonally. The reason for this is that if you placed it on one of the corners, it would be diagonal from only one tile, giving the next guy only one option for placing his auction marker.

Later in the game, because of the holes that previous tile purchases have created in the board, it's often possible to place the flag in such a way that the second guy only has one place he can put his auction marker. But you shouldn't be able to do that when the board is full of tiles. That's why you can't put the flag on a corner of the outside border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.