Fro LLo
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm working on a couple of Knizia retheme for Double or Nothing and Winner's Circle

I hope to receive some opinion and suggestion.

this is Double or nothing rethemed as Canvas

the idea is to keep the brush stroke from one card to the other.
Nothing new if you know the game, just a more visual appealing graphic than the rather dull original one.

Winner Circle (a.k.a. Royal Turf) is a different story as it is out of print and I want to try it and experiment with different betting and payout system.

I selected turtles as animal for the race and here you have: Royal Turt

It's still in early stage and far away from being what I want but I hope that with your suggestion I'll be able to improve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Knizia Retheme
my advice : contact the publisher and the designer first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

For what reason? Advice on the retheme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fro LLo
msg tools
Stormtower wrote:

I'm not planning to make it public, It's just for my own pleasure and for learn some design techniques.

Sorry for not make this clarification in the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brumareeperbb wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

I'm not planning to make it public, It's just for my own pleasure and for learn some design techniques.

You've just made it public and posted here. You have now committed all the offences and infractions you can short of making money from it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
brumareeperbb wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

You've just made it public and posted here. You have now committed all the offences and infractions you can short of making money from it...

Come now. He posted asking for "opinion and suggestion". Why would you suggest that he listen to the ones that he gets?

That's crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brumareeperbb wrote:

Winner Circle (a.k.a. Royal Turf) is a different story as it is out of print and I want to try it and experiment with different betting and payout system.

No, it's not. At least not anymore. It has been re-released at Essen this year by Korea Board Games, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fro LLo
msg tools
that's a very good news, but I think it is available in Korea only at the moment, should be available out of Korea next year. Seems to be a top class edition btw with all the flaw of previous edition fixed and improved.

It would still be interesting for me doing some experiment/variant with different betting and payout systems.

Regarding all the fuzz about re-theming and "offences and infractions" it seems a bit over the top as I'm not making any money from it and I'm not even providing the file for download.

I'm just asking for some comments and opinion about the graphic design I'm doing. Maybe I should have posted on a different forum section or with a different thread subject.

If possible I would like to keep the discussion here about the graphic design.

There are other threads that seems already discussing about IP, copyright etc and we can keep discussing that matter there

MythBusting: Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents (US Law)
Questions about copyright infringement on BGG

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumareeperbb wrote:

I'm just asking for some comments and opinion about the graphic design I'm doing. Maybe I should have posted on a different forum section or with a different thread subject.

If possible I would like to keep the discussion here about the graphic design.

There are other threads that seems already discussing about IP, copyright etc and we can keep discussing that matter there

MythBusting: Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents (US Law)
Questions about copyright infringement on BGG

Thank you

Suggestion: Edit both your initial post and your subject line to clearly and explicitly state that you are just looking for comments on the graphic design. The initial post just says you want opinions (which people gave and you are clearly angry at for giving because they weren't the "right" opinions), and your subject line calls clear attention to the fact that you are retheming a famous designer's work.

If all you are after is comment and opinions about your graphic design, then maybe just title the post "I want some advice on my graphic design". By posting and including Dr. Knizia's name in the title of your post, you are literally calling people in with the idea that this is a retheme. So don't get angry at them for referencing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Suggestion: Edit both your initial post and your subject line to clearly and explicitly state that you are just looking for comments on the graphic design. The initial post just says you want opinions (which people gave and you are clearly angry at for giving because they weren't the "right" opinions),

I would think that dubious, poorly-explained, and/or rudely-offered advice is going to tend to draw ire regardless of whether it's on-topic or not.

Advising him to "contact the publisher and the designer first", without further information, is rather unclear. The most likely (but far from the only) implication that we might choose to draw is that that he requires their permission for a retheme. In fact, he probably doesn't. Even if he did, contacting both of them individually would probably be redundant and spammy.

More generally, asking for advice does not imply that you intend to take every piece of advice you receive. In most cases, getting angry at someone for not taking your advice is rude, arrogant, unreasonable, and unlikely to be productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
Suggestion: Edit both your initial post and your subject line to clearly and explicitly state that you are just looking for comments on the graphic design. The initial post just says you want opinions (which people gave and you are clearly angry at for giving because they weren't the "right" opinions),

I would think that dubious, poorly-explained, and/or rudely-offered advice is going to tend to draw ire regardless of whether it's on-topic or not.

Advising him to "contact the publisher and the designer first", without further information, is rather unclear. The most likely (but far from the only) implication that we might choose to draw is that that he requires their permission for a retheme. In fact, he probably doesn't. Even if he did, contacting both of them individually would probably be redundant and spammy.

More generally, asking for advice does not imply that you intend to take every piece of advice you receive. In most cases, getting angry at someone for not taking your advice is rude, arrogant, unreasonable, and unlikely to be productive.

Sure. I appreciate your defense of the OP.

I'll note that I didn't say I was angry at him. I didn't even offer the advice that you yourself are so perturbed by. Actually, what I did (and why you read enough into it for YOU to launch into your attack -- did you feel the need to kick the cat after coming home from work today and instead wisely chose to take it out on someone on the Internet instead?) was suggest to him how he could be more clear in his request since what he was getting was commentary on something OTHER than his goal, because of his thread title (previously "Knizia retheme" not "...advice on my graphic design").

I'll also note that after I made the suggestion you quoted and then attacked, he did in fact change the title of his thread, which will hopefully result in comments more in line with what he is actually looking for than what he was getting before hand. (Unless, of course, people continue to use his thread to yell at other people to feel better about themselves.) Which tells me that my suggestion, which so noticeably got your dander up, was actually viewed as helpful by him. Shocking.

But please, by all means, if you need to take out your aggression, I would MUCH rather have you yell at me through the Internet for some slight you have perceived on someone else than actually take it out on someone or something else in your locale which might actually feel its impact.

Please try to have a good rest of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fro LLo
msg tools
Antistone wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

I'm not angry at all, and don't want to sound angry or irate. I just offered a clarification for the topic of this thread that probably was not clear enough (my fault).

The feeling was more that this is not the right place to discuss about this topic, so I pointed other threads where the matter of legal implication of a retheme (either for personal or commercial use) has been discussed.

I changed the topic title as you suggested mostly to avoid further off topic discussion. Hope it will work from now on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumareeperbb wrote:
Antistone wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

I'm not angry at all, and don't want to sound angry or irate. I just offered a clarification for the topic of this thread that probably was not clear enough (my fault).

The feeling was more that this is not the right place to discuss about this topic, so I pointed other threads where the matter of legal implication of a retheme (either for personal or commercial use) has been discussed.

I changed the topic title as you suggested mostly to avoid further off topic discussion. Hope it will work from now on

For sure. I think the reframe hopefully will get more people to comment on the design elements. What I have to offer game design wise skews very strongly towards the mechanics and thematic -- I am awful at anything visual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.