The Fog of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1940 cards, usa and ussr, balkan, end of year, invasion bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of rules questions.

Is it correct that the 1940 cards are available to be played earliest in 1941 and the 1941 can be played earliest in 1942 (and so on)?

I am confused about the rules for ussr and usa. When does the allies get the productiom benefit from them? When they join or the whole game? I am confused about the reason for there both being a card and printing on the board. At the end in 1940 does the allies get both 2 production from usa card and ussr?

Balkan joins at the end of 1940. Does the axis get the production from them that turn? Or first at the end of 1940. There seems not to be any good reason for axis to attack balkan in 1940, would you agree? Or are we missing something?

Does the year end immediately when the last card is played or at the end of that player's turn?

Say player. Attacks from sea wi a strenth of 5. Player B has strenth 5 units in defense and gets 4 bonus from sea. Is it correct that A now places all his units in Loss and B places all his in win?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
A couple of rules questions.

Is it correct that the 1940 cards are available to be played earliest in 1941 and the 1941 can be played earliest in 1942 (and so on)?

Correct. You can purchase the 1940 cards at the end of 1940, so you can use them during 1941.

Quote:
I am confused about the rules for ussr and usa. When does the allies get the productiom benefit from them? When they join or the whole game? I am confused about the reason for there both being a card and printing on the board. At the end in 1940 does the allies get both 2 production from usa card and ussr?

The USA/Canada card gives resources every year. The USSR only gives resources when it enters the war. At the start of the game put the Urals resource card into the Urals box on the map as a reminder.

So at the end of 1940 the Allies only get the 2 USA/Canada resources unless the Axis attacked the USSR during 1940.

Quote:
Balkan joins at the end of 1940. Does the axis get the production from them that turn? Or first at the end of 1940. There seems not to be any good reason for axis to attack balkan in 1940, would you agree? Or are we missing something?

The Axis do not get the production for the Balkans in 1940. Just follow the End of Year steps in order. There's a reference on the back page of the rules. Production is before Political Entry. The Balkans don't come in until Political Entry, so you don't get to count them for Production.[/q]

I've seen games where the Axis hit the Balkans and Turkey in 1940 to set up for a big push in North Africa (or the USSR).

But typically, yes, the Axis does not attack the Balkans.

Quote:
Does the year end immediately when the last card is played or at the end of that player's turn?

At the end of that player's turn. You can still, for example, play your last card into an Operation and launch it.

Quote:
Say player. Attacks from sea wi a strenth of 5. Player B has strenth 5 units in defense and gets 4 bonus from sea. Is it correct that A now places all his units in Loss and B places all his in win?

Yes. If Attacker strength is less than Defender, Attacker loses the battle, and his cards go into Loss, and Attacker into Win. And the +4 bonus doesn't count towards matching the Attacker strength. So if Attacker places 5 strength in 'Loss' the Defender must place 5 strength in 'Win'.

If the Defeender had 10 stength, it would be a Rout, since Defender is at least double attacker. Then the Defending cards just stay in the Defense box and wouldn't lose anything.

Quote:
Thanks

Sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaks a lot for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stallard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere or if I've missed something but what can the allies do with 6 production from USA at the end of 1944? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing (this is in fact said in the rulebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Cowan
Scotland
Cowdenbeath
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why bother printing '1944: 6' on the U.S./Canada card if it's an irrelevance?
Is there a planned variant to push the end of the war beyond 1944?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parsdunk wrote:
Then why bother printing '1944: 6' on the U.S./Canada card if it's an irrelevance?

Originally the game went to 1945.

There was some discussion about possibly doing a variant to include 45/46 (possibly as part of a Pacific expansion) so we decided to leave it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Cowan
Scotland
Cowdenbeath
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Geoff. We just thought we might have missed something obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, are the rules for when you get money from ussr and from usa written anywhere in the rulebook? It says when they enter the war but from your reply I learned that you get funds from usa the whole game but not ussr.

I may be the only person having difficulties with this, but it was just not clear to me. I no not mean to be rude, I am honestly wondering if I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Eastbourne
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus causing confusion in our game tonight! The year sequencing is confusing enough without a ghost production number.

engelstein wrote:
Parsdunk wrote:

Originally the game went to 1945.

There was some discussion about possibly doing a variant to include 45/46 (possibly as part of a Pacific expansion) so we decided to leave it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo wrote:
Thus causing confusion in our game tonight! The year sequencing is confusing enough without a ghost production number.

You're right. It was a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.