$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

New Angeles» Forums » General

Subject: Deafening silence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of shocked at the lack of buzz from respected reviewers on this title. Virtually nothing from both gencon and then Essen! Based on what Ive read, this would be an instant preorder if there were any solid reviewer buzz. But I've heard nothing! Anyone know why? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Re: Defeating silence?
maybe because they maybe already flood with gencon and essen releases?

This will come middle november and I bet everyone will get their review copies one or two weeks early.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Defeating silence?
I'm comparing this to other games on similar pre-release time tables. Like Inis. From a smaller publisher. Which everyone seems to have previewed and/or reviewed. This is a FFG title one month from release, and was available for preview at both shows. I don't understand why there isn't more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Defeating silence?
I think you mean "deafening" silence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
I think you mean "deafening" silence.


Whoops! Damn auto correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-6 players, 2 hours+ playtime...and no demos at Essen are good reasons why this game does not have such a buzz.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
4-6 players, 2 hours+ playtime...and no demos at Essen are good reasons why this game does not have such a buzz.


Except that both this and Cry Havoc play in 2 hours at 4 players, and these forums have been buzzing with the latter for months. I'm shocked to hear that this wasn't demoed at Essen, but I'm certain it was at gencon, so the point still holds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has no booth at Essen, but is instead represented by its German distributor. Those usually demo only games that are already available, mostly the German versions of these, and FFG is only one of the publishers they distribute, albeit probably their biggest and most important. Sometimes they demo one or two games that are not yet available, but that is not the norm. That they demoed the Arkham Horror LCG is probably due to the huge hype this game had generated - and the popularity of the Arkham Files. To be honest, of the Android setting, only the LCG so far could make an impact in Germany (albeit a huge one), and not all of the Android products even got localized...

Also, don't forget that GenCon and Essen work very differently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Nushura wrote:
4-6 players, 2 hours+ playtime...and no demos at Essen are good reasons why this game does not have such a buzz.


Except that both this and Cry Havoc play in 2 hours at 4 players, and these forums have been buzzing with the latter for months. I'm shocked to hear that this wasn't demoed at Essen, but I'm certain it was at gencon, so the point still holds.


Cry Havoc plays in AT MOST 2 hours and 4 players... New angeles needs AT LEAST that much. One game was on sale at Essen, the other one was just to glance in a glass window.

These differences have a huge impact in Buzz
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok! I I'll take your words on it. It still seems like a stretch to me that the lack of support and buzz before the release of the biggest publishers biggest game before the holiday season is purely coincidence and has nothing to do with its quality. I'm shocked that I didn't hear anything significant from Shut Up and Sot Down about this, as dead of winter and archipelago are two of their highest rated games, and this seems like a hybrid of them, but I am always a skeptic. I really hope you're right!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people simply are not excited for this cause of the very limited player count options, having to have to have 4-6 players means it simply cant make it in many peoples collection and on top of that its a heavy 2+ hour game which makes its market even smaller.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't think anyone has played it yet (aside from play testers). I'm sure we'll hear more in the next few weeks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In this thread, we wish a game to be unsuccessful before it even comes out, based on the lack of hype. As a followup, we declare any configuration of player count outside of 3 people to be "not a wise demographic to target".

Remember when hype followed rather than preceded?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I 'member.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
In this thread, we wish a game to be unsuccessful before it even comes out, based on the lack of hype. As a followup, we declare any configuration of player count outside of 3 people to be "not a wise demographic to target".

Remember when hype followed rather than preceded?



I don't see anyone wishing this game to be unsuccessful. I certainly really want this game to be great, because it sounds perfect on paper.

I really appreciated your thoughts post gen con. You were the only one I've heard of that played it there and then posted feedback. It was exactly that fact that worried me.

Edit: No, I don't remember when hype followed. I think hype has always preceded. If it's following, that means it's based on experience and not hypothesizing, thus I wouldn't call it hype. I'm not looking for hype. I'm looking for more expierience, precisely like you've posted. If I used the word hype earlier, I misspoke.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else who writes for iSlaytheDragon.com (disclosure: the site I write for) played a demo at Gen Con and wrote about it. He loved it. Here's his take if you want more info while you wait on FFG: http://islaythedragon.com/misc/gen-con/gen-con-2016/new-ange...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the react. I just got confused that there was this slow but steady spiral of doubt into a game that I feel we (or at least I) has already gotten the gist of and have thought "Yeah, I'd play the hell out of that." But I got this notion that we were somehow trying to do a post-mortem on a game that hadn't even released yet, or that it would somehow affect our likelihood to get it.

Also, when did "4-6 players" become a terrible player range? Lots of games as of late are fixed at 4, or 4-5, so a game for 6 is a nice change. Games for 3 struggle with the "minimum needed for a conspiracy" dilemma of game design.

Honestly, the way I played and saw it being played, if this thing takes more than 2 hours, your group may be prone to distraction to begin with - in which case, maybe that's OK if your group likes experiences with casual pacing.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
Apologies for the react. I just got confused that there was this slow but steady spiral of doubt into a game that I feel we (or at least I) has already gotten the gist of and have thought "Yeah, I'd play the hell out of that." But I got this notion that we were somehow trying to do a post-mortem on a game that hadn't even released yet, or that it would somehow affect our likelihood to get it.

Also, when did "4-6 players" become a terrible player range? Lots of games as of late are fixed at 4, or 4-5, so a game for 6 is a nice change. Games for 3 struggle with the "minimum needed for a conspiracy" dilemma of game design.

Honestly, the way I played and saw it being played, if this thing takes more than 2 hours, your group may be prone to distraction to begin with - in which case, maybe that's OK if your group likes experiences with casual pacing.


Its terrible player range not from the perspective of that player count sucks, its terrible because a lot of people have a hard time consistently getting at least 4-6 players together to play a game like this. I would love to play 7 Wonders with 8 players every time, reality is that happens very seldom that I can get 8 players together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
Someone else who writes for iSlaytheDragon.com (disclosure: the site I write for) played a demo at Gen Con and wrote about it. He loved it. Here's his take if you want more info while you wait on FFG: http://islaythedragon.com/misc/gen-con/gen-con-2016/new-ange...


I had missed that! Thanks for posting! I'm very glad to hear that it's a bit more streamlined than BSG or DoW. I really wanted to love those games, but felt like I was playing against random draws more than other players. I hope this streamlining helps that issue!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
Apologies for the react. I just got confused that there was this slow but steady spiral of doubt into a game that I feel we (or at least I) has already gotten the gist of and have thought "Yeah, I'd play the hell out of that." But I got this notion that we were somehow trying to do a post-mortem on a game that hadn't even released yet, or that it would somehow affect our likelihood to get it.

Also, when did "4-6 players" become a terrible player range? Lots of games as of late are fixed at 4, or 4-5, so a game for 6 is a nice change. Games for 3 struggle with the "minimum needed for a conspiracy" dilemma of game design.

Honestly, the way I played and saw it being played, if this thing takes more than 2 hours, your group may be prone to distraction to begin with - in which case, maybe that's OK if your group likes experiences with casual pacing.


Its terrible player range not from the perspective of that player count sucks, its terrible because a lot of people have a hard time consistently getting at least 4-6 players together to play a game like this. I would love to play 7 Wonders with 8 players every time, reality is that happens very seldom that I can get 8 players together.


I would only agree if 4 made for a suboptimal play experience in this game, but we have not seen any evidence of that. I think the majority of groups play at 4 players (judging from most games' player counts) so this game plays great for them. Not "terrible" by any stretch of the word. I'll only be concerned if the game plays poorly at 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
In this thread, we wish a game to be unsuccessful before it even comes out, based on the lack of hype. As a followup, we declare any configuration of player count outside of 3 people to be "not a wise demographic to target".

Remember when hype followed rather than preceded?



I don't see anyone wishing this game to be unsuccessful. I certainly really want this game to be great, because it sounds perfect on paper.

I really appreciated your thoughts post gen con. You were the only one I've heard of that played it there and then posted feedback. It was exactly that fact that worried me.

Edit: No, I don't remember when hype followed. I think hype has always preceded. If it's following, that means it's based on experience and not hypothesizing, thus I wouldn't call it hype. I'm not looking for hype. I'm looking for more expierience, precisely like you've posted. If I used the word hype earlier, I misspoke.


I played it at GenCon and loved it.

I'm not really surprised that it hasn't gotten a lot of coverage - it's pretty easy for New Angeles to fly under the radar at a big convention. There are so many games coming out at GenCon/Essen that reviewers can only spend so much time at FFG who have a ton of other things going on - Mansions of Madness 2E, Star Wars Destiny, DOOM, Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne, Arkham LCG, new IA, X-Wing, Armada stuff, a bucket of expansions... I'm not really surprised that the "flashier" games with licensed properties and app integration got more attention.

smith2332 wrote:

Its terrible player range not from the perspective of that player count sucks, its terrible because a lot of people have a hard time consistently getting at least 4-6 players together to play a game like this. I would love to play 7 Wonders with 8 players every time, reality is that happens very seldom that I can get 8 players together.


On the other hand, I almost always have more than 4 players, so it's always nice to have more games that can actually play 6 players.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
In this thread, we wish a game to be unsuccessful before it even comes out, based on the lack of hype. As a followup, we declare any configuration of player count outside of 3 people to be "not a wise demographic to target".

Remember when hype followed rather than preceded?



I don't see anyone wishing this game to be unsuccessful. I certainly really want this game to be great, because it sounds perfect on paper.

I really appreciated your thoughts post gen con. You were the only one I've heard of that played it there and then posted feedback. It was exactly that fact that worried me.

Edit: No, I don't remember when hype followed. I think hype has always preceded. If it's following, that means it's based on experience and not hypothesizing, thus I wouldn't call it hype. I'm not looking for hype. I'm looking for more expierience, precisely like you've posted. If I used the word hype earlier, I misspoke.


I played it at GenCon and loved it.

I'm not really surprised that it hasn't gotten a lot of coverage - it's pretty easy for New Angeles to fly under the radar at a big convention. There are so many games coming out at GenCon/Essen that reviewers can only spend so much time at FFG who have a ton of other things going on - Mansions of Madness 2E, Star Wars Destiny, DOOM, Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne, Arkham LCG, new IA, X-Wing, Armada stuff, a bucket of expansions... I'm not really surprised that the "flashier" games with licensed properties and app integration got more attention.

smith2332 wrote:

Its terrible player range not from the perspective of that player count sucks, its terrible because a lot of people have a hard time consistently getting at least 4-6 players together to play a game like this. I would love to play 7 Wonders with 8 players every time, reality is that happens very seldom that I can get 8 players together.


On the other hand, I almost always have more than 4 players, so it's always nice to have more games that can actually play 6 players.


I hadn't thought about all the other FFG competition from Star Wars and GoT stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

6 players is almost always the number at my weekly game night too. On the day of the game, I ask the group's chat whose coming, and the first 5 to respond get a seat. For that reason, 6 player games that play in 2-3 hours are my perfect games!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some publishers would put "2-6 players" on the box, give you a half-assed variant for 2 and 3. I appreciate the honesty in this case.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Some publishers would put "2-6 players" on the box, give you a half-assed variant for 2 and 3. I appreciate the honesty in this case.


I can't agree more. I'm tired of publishers claiming stuff like that on the side of the box, when everyone knows it's not even passable at those numbers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clasing
msg tools
mb
We're another group that often has more than four players. From what I can tell of gameplay, this may finally give the old Avalon Hill game Republic of Rome a rest from its usual spot. We love back-stabbing games where players are all helping or hindering each other from time to time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.