GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,995 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Sporty Engineer
msg tools
I understand that the Reporter cannot "Take the Bus" while insane, but can they use their other ability to move from bus station to bus station?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McLeod
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it as not being able to take the bus means what it means, no matter what. I'd say that, in the interest of how insignificant mankind is in this world, the answer to your question is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The investigator's special abilities while insane are specifically what's written on the insane side of the card, so in the same way that the Hunter cannot defeat a Shoggoth for 1 action when insane the Reporter cannot hop from station to station.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "insane" side of a character card spells out what you can or can't do. If an ability is carried over when insane, it will be written again on the insane side of the card. For example, the detective, when insane, still says "only 4 cards to close a gate" and then lists another ability/penalty you have to deal with.

In light of that, if the insane side of the reporter doesn't say "you can travel from bus station to bus station", that ability no longer exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
you guys do know you don't have to go from one station to another

taken from the rules

While on a bus station location, you can do this action in two ways:

1. Discard a clue card to move to any location in the town pictured card.
2. Discard a clue card matching the town you are in to move to any location in any town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
you guys do know you don't have to go from one station to another?

Um, yeah, they know. They're discussing the Reporter's special ability to travel through bus stations without discarding, similar to portal travel. That's in the rules you quote, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés F.
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linear wrote:
The investigator's special abilities while insane are specifically what's written on the insane side of the card, so in the same way that the Hunter cannot defeat a Shoggoth for 1 action when insane the Reporter cannot hop from station to station.

My interpretation is that she cannot take the bus at all. The insane side doesn't say "she cannot use her special bus ability", it says "she can no longer do the Take the Bus action" (regardless of her special ability while sane). She cannot take the bus at all, even to move to another location that's not a bus stop.

I imagine buses don't allow insane passengers where she's from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vibe runner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The_Android wrote:
linear wrote:

My interpretation is that she cannot take the bus at all. The insane side doesn't say "she cannot use her special bus ability", it says "she can no longer do the Take the Bus action" (regardless of her special ability while sane). She cannot take the bus at all, even to move to another location that's not a bus stop.

I imagine buses don't allow insane passengers where she's from.

LOL, her flavour text makes it clear what she's about. It's not that the bus driver won't let her on, it's that she doesn't want to leave (too busy muckraking in the town she's in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.