Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Testing while a mission is under way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All

Can I test a rocket and gain the benefits of testing while I have a long mission under way that uses that particular kind of rocket?

It's 1963 and I'm doing the Mars Lander mission. The Saturn worked fine and now the probe is in Earth orbit. The ship is proceeding to Mars with 3 time tokens on it.

The next stage of the spacecraft is an Atlas rocket. The Atlas advance still has 3 Outcome cards on it. During the 3 years (!) that it will take for the probe to reach Mars orbit, can my rocket research team at the Baikonur Cosmodrome test fire 3 Atlas rockets in order to remove the 3 Outcome cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

One of the decisions that favors playability over detailed realism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Rather than create another thread, I have another testing-related question.

Can you test life support, re-entry and landing by launching a capsule to a sub-orbital altitude? Or does it have to be a launch to Earth orbit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the hazards on the cards. Sub-Orbital to Earth shows an optional landing hazard, but no re-entry. Life support is only tested at the end of the year, and you can't keep a vehicle in sub-orbital at the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about testing life support without astronauts in the capsule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
What do you think about testing life support without astronauts in the capsule?

It is legal by the rules. The expense and delay is enough that I'm okay with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The first astronauts and cosmonauts were fruit flies, dogs and chimps, so yeah, you can test life support without humans aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
slashing wrote:
The first astronauts and cosmonauts were fruit flies, dogs and chimps...

You're right! I forgot about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
All this talk of testing inspired me to write a bit of space opera microfiction...

"Captain, with all due respect, I'm not sure you understand the level of risk and sacrifice these humans will undergo in order to do anything they've decided they must do."

"You've studied their history more than I have, I'll admit. What exactly do you mean?"

"As an example--did you know that humans were able to reach orbit around their homeworld *two centuries* before they invented antigrav technology?"

"What?? How would that even work?"

"They built hollow towers. They filled the towers with explosives. They... I'm sorry; I know this next part is hard to believe, but it's true... they bolted chairs to the tops of the towers, strapped themselves into the chairs, and set off the explosives."

"You mean to say they rode *explosive missiles* into orbit?"

"Yes."

"That's nonsensically dangerous; weren't they killed?"

"Some of them were, yes. But it seems that this just made them want to get to orbit even more desperately, and redouble their efforts."

"Great galaxy."

"We are dealing with a determined race. When the universe tells them 'you are not going to space today,' these people shout back 'well how about tomorrow?'"

"Open communications with Delta Squadron. Tell them to call off the attack, stand by, and observe the humans from a distance until further notice. I... I need to go lie down for a while."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Banks
Ireland
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmb
rmanning wrote:
Yes.

One of the decisions that favors playability over detailed realism.

I see this as hyper realism.

When we research, we research software and/or hardware. In this case I assume it is software updates that further enhance the spacecraft's reliability, therefore I can send remotely a software update to a spacecraft that had left when the update had not yet been implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.