United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Geeklist or some other summary of games focusing on a parlamentary form of government?

Die Macher is the obvious first choice. But are there others about? Thanks to all who can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Luoma-aho
Finland
Rovaniemi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two oldies come to mind: Consensus and Election X. You would find relevant geeklists there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas:

Europa 1945-2030
Quo Vadis?
The Republic of Rome
Galactic Destiny

All have elements of 'voting blocks'. I'm not sure exactly what you're after, but perhaps one of these will fit the bill.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher (and some others) focus on elections rather than government. Two I can think of are Junta- banana republic politics but you get voting blocks and can vote on the Budget. You can get extra votes by virtue of having occupied the Chamber of Deputries during the last coup...

The other one is Poleconomy. In the advanced game the players (who have random numbers of seats) can make laws as they please, generally along the lines of "Taxation is 100% for Bob and 0% for the rest of us"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify what I'm seeking:

I want a game that covers the politics of a parlamentary government, which also includes a parlamentary election(s) where parties can come in/out of power and coalitions can be negotiated.

Certain voting districts will establish tendencies to contintue voting for the same party if they feel well-represented, and some can even develop into traditional seats of power of political parties.

Parties can have leaders and/or other prominent personalities, which help shape the party platforms.

Issues get to be voted upon, covering the gamut from budget, to new legislation, to military actions.

Contentuous issues have a chance of fragmenting a party's voting block.

No wars (at least, not one where you have to move pieces).

In the end, public opinion will dictate which party is the most successful.

Has such a creature been attempted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I beleive not, it sounds a great game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
To clarify what I'm seeking:

I want a game that covers the politics of a parlamentary government, which also includes a parlamentary election(s) where parties can come in/out of power and coalitions can be negotiated.

Certain voting districts will establish tendencies to contintue voting for the same party if they feel well-represented, and some can even develop into traditional seats of power of political parties.

Parties can have leaders and/or other prominent personalities, which help shape the party platforms.

Issues get to be voted upon, covering the gamut from budget, to new legislation, to military actions.

Contentuous issues have a chance of fragmenting a party's voting block.

No wars (at least, not one where you have to move pieces).

In the end, public opinion will dictate which party is the most successful.

Die Macher touches on many of these things, but again it is only the election side. Have you tried playing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Al Parlamento has both the election and the governing. I need to play it one of these years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Not parliamentary, but possibly the greatest "Governering" game ever, is Republic of Rome. Possibly the best game for modelling individual desire for success versus the need for the state to survive. Of course, the infighting is pretty brutal...........devil

Darilian
If you won't pay your $1.05 for freedom, who will?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Not parliamentary, but possibly the greatest "Governering" game ever, is Republic of Rome. Possibly the best game for modelling individual desire for success versus the need for the state to survive. Of course, the infighting is pretty brutal...........devil

I have RoR. I wanted something a bit more detailed. Actual platforms fleshed out for each party, not just markers of votes controlled by each player.

I know that I'm looking for a game that could take an entire weekend to play. But, if it comes down to comparing other games, and cobbling together my own, I just may have to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a Google search of BGG with the term "parliament" and came up with this: Henry VIII and the Reformation Parliament. The publisher has more information at http://www.ablongman.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,032...

Note that this is a big game: 13 - 25 players, 9 hours. And it's played out of a book. Historical reenactment? Maybe more roleplaying than what you're after, but it might be a good resource.

You might also take a look at Nomic or Dvorak. The immutable / mutable rules and rule-changing aspects of Nomic (and -- IIRC -- their counterparts in Dvorak) remind me of things that can be done in a legislature -- changing the rules of debate, amending the constitution, passing laws. This might be an aspect to look at if you're going to design your own game.

Please keep us informed. Your game idea is intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the game Polyconomy. I know it was released in Canada so not sure of the availability but it mostly fits the criteria you are looking for.

It would probably be a little dated but it was fun from what I remember about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labelling the OP's desired qualities:

Quote:
a)Certain voting districts will establish tendencies to contintue voting for the same party if they feel well-represented, and some can even develop into traditional seats of power of political parties.

b)Parties can have leaders and/or other prominent personalities, which help shape the party platforms.

c)Issues get to be voted upon, covering the gamut from budget, to new legislation, to military actions.

d)Contentuous issues have a chance of fragmenting a party's voting block.

e)No wars (at least, not one where you have to move pieces).

f)In the end, public opinion will dictate which party is the most successful.

Die Macher has very weak a (if you get a lead in a region early you can manipulate poltics there, weak b (the leaders are not named but described by title: Shadow Chancellor, Cheif Whip etc), c (voted on by the voters rather than the government though) no d, e, and f (sort of).

Poleconomy has no a, no b in a sense seperate from the players themsleves, c in a way (the players can vote any rule they like, but there is no ingame mechanism for non-economic measures to have any impact) d in a way (parties form of several players and can split over issues of tax or the like), e, and no f.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can lay your hands on a copy, you might enjoy the games in the book, Playing Politics:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19305
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not quite what you're looking for but Nomic is what I started thinking of in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Lifeboat game count? Ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L.Robert wrote:

I've been designing an amateur game on the topic for some years now for online play, but it is a hard topic.
The worst part is the legislative power. It is hard to provide a flexible enough system to allow the players a certain degree of freedom, cause it leads to rather complex socioeconomical system to mess with the laws. On the other hand, you can streamline all that and provide just some options with definite effects on economy and politics, but then the players don't feel like really legislating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare C
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Parliamentary Government Games?
There's an old British game called Westminster that models the British parliamentary system. It includes elections and voting on bills. I have it (picked it up in a charity shop) but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Parker
United Kingdom
London (west)
flag msg tools
badge
Tat Tvam Asi
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes, Westminster. Remember the game, but had forgotten the name. Played it a looonng time ago, well mid-80s. Nothing to write home about, but probably worth playing if you're into the theme. I seem to recall MPs getting sent to the Chiltern Hundreds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions. I now have quite a bit of material to research and pick and choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.