$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: GLOG 12 November 2016 - let's get this thing happening. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't been all year due to family commitments and I'm 80% likely to have 12 November free.

I'm keen to get along for some games.

I understand muzfish contacted the library last week and they have no issues with the booking.

So why can't we just turn up and play? Is there a process to be followed?

It's an important community event. It'd be a shame for it to not go ahead.

Perhaps someone can also grab the communal glog games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene had his reasons for scrubbing it on that particular weekend. I'd be open to a discussion about a different November weekend for glog, but I think it's a bit rude to just press on without him.

There is nothing stopping anyone from organising private sessions elsewhere, of course. But as far as I'm concerned, Glog is his show to run or not until he decides otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
AztecTwoStep wrote:
Rene had his reasons for scrubbing it on that particular weekend. I'd be open to a discussion about a different November weekend for glog, but I think it's a bit rude to just press on without him.

I agree, to go ahead and hold a GLOG that weekend would undermine Rene's decision making and also risk his reputation with the 3rd party he negotiated with to come to that decision.

I don't see a reason people couldn't do something else somewhere else, or hold a GLOG sometime else. But as tempting as the standing Library booking may be, utilizing it for a GLOG would be a disrespectful move in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's no disrespect to Rene. The library is available, it's available to the public, people may want to play. So why not play to keep a strong community event running.

I can open and close the room and welcome people in. I can help keep it happening.

It can continue.

I'm trying to help out. It also matches with a free weekend for me.

I know nothing of 3rd party deals etc that are being referred to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might not get another free Saturday for a long time, or even a chance to play with a big group of gamers around until who knows when.

I am offering to collect and return the glog game collection, open and close the venue, welcome new people etc etc.

People lock these dates into their calendars well in advance because of busy lifestyles.

It can continue.

The offer is there.

With all the fun I've had at glog it's the least I can do to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Drake
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:

From my (limited) understanding of the situation, it was decided to cancel November GLOG so that there would be no clash with the LFG event that is on the same weekend. They have supported GLOG over the past few years, so now it's our turn to support them. By not having GLOG competing with LFG, more people will be able to attend LFG.

If no GLOG that weekend means you won't get your fix for the month, I draw your attention to KLOG, GLOG's sister event over at Kippax Library. It'll be on 26 November
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
I might not get another free Saturday for a long time, or even a chance to play with a big group of gamers around until who knows when.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/lfg-canberra-essen-unplugged... - A ticket for Saturday costs $25. Sure it's $25 more than GLOG would cost, but as stated above, LFG have supported GLOG in the past, and now it's GLOGs turn to support them.

For the pre-existing conversation around why the November GLOG was cancelled, see the October GLOG thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drakecula wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:

From my (limited) understanding of the situation, it was decided to cancel November GLOG so that there would be no clash with the LFG event that is on the same weekend. They have supported GLOG over the past few years, so now it's our turn to support them. By not having GLOG competing with LFG, more people will be able to attend LFG.

If no GLOG that weekend means you won't get your fix for the month, I draw your attention to KLOG, GLOG's sister event over at Kippax Library. It'll be on 26 November

Glog is in the public domain now. It's for all sorts of members of the public. The sort of people who'd never pay to play. They put it in their calendar, or they have a rough idea when it is on, and look forward to it.

None of you have to attend.

I'm willing to keep it running for the other folk though. It keeps it reliable and steady which in turn brings more people to gaming.

It's all positive stuff.

I'm also actually free on the day, which is rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mclachlan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jolt Games in Mitchell might have a number of tables available.

If they do you could hold a "Not GLOG" event there and everybody would be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
It's all positive stuff.

I appreciate that your intent is positive, but there are negative ramifications. Rene has told a GLOG sponsor that GLOG will not be held that day, at their request. To now go ahead and hold it anyway would make him in to a liar and risk his reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
emplion wrote:
Jolt Games in Mitchell might have a number of tables available.

If they do you could hold a "Not GLOG" event there and everybody would be happy.
regular joe public attends the library.

Jolt games is a private company. The library is s public space that can be booked by most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
Drakecula wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:

Glog is in the public domain now. It's for all sorts of members of the public. The sort of people who'd never pay to play. They put it in their calendar, or they have a rough idea when it is on, and look forward to it.

I'm willing to keep it running for the other folk though. It keeps it reliable and steady which in turn brings more people to gaming.

It's all positive stuff.

I haven't seen you for long, long time at the GLOG, so I must assume that your mate muzfish may be pulling some strings here. I hope I'm wrong and you are doing this at your own accord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tegs wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
It's all positive stuff.

I appreciate that your intent is positive, but there are negative ramifications. Rene has told a GLOG sponsor that GLOG will not be held that day, at their request. To now go ahead and hold it anyway would make him in to a liar and risk his reputation.

Giving up the biggest thing glog can offer, that is the holding of an actual open public community event, does seem to be rather significant for any public group.

What is glog getting in return?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:
Drakecula wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:

It's all positive stuff.

I haven't seen you for long, long time at the GLOG, so I must assume that your mate muzfish may be pulling some strings here. I hope I'm wrong and you are doing this at your own accord.

this is now getting strange.

Take a few deep breaths Rene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jolt welcome public gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AztecTwoStep wrote:
Jolt welcome public gamers
and?

Jolt isn't my scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is all getting a bit weird for someone wanting to play a few games in a public library with like minded people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cr
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
No theme = fail
badge
Choices create the illusion of control
mbmbmbmbmb
This appears to have escalated somewhat - I don't quite understand how GLOG being cancelled one month has turned into this.

It's simple

- there is another bigger gaming event on that week. So the other event is paid (just like about every other convention/event ever) - lots of ppl who normally go to GLOG will go there instead - new Essen releases to try. Keeping GLOG running that weekend is almost like trying to run GLOG during Cancon (which incidentally you pay for if you use the gaming space)
- arranging another week takes a lot of effort
- decided to cancel
- it will be back in December

Now ppl are all of a sudden falling over themselves to offer to step up and run the event as there seems to be a feeling this is some kind of threat to their right to game for free (?).

I think it is positive thing we have a potentially new significant gaming event happening in Canberra - and it looks worthy of support in my opinion.

If GLOG being cancelled for one month bothers you so much just check out all the other free events in Canberra - they are pinned in this forum.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
This is all getting a bit weird for someone wanting to play a few games in a public library with like minded people.

The problem is you're going about it in a way that's a bit of a screw you to the bloke who made it happen in the first place.

It's completely understandable why Rene wants to throw some support behind LFG Canberra. More gaming events in Canberra is a good thing.

If you don't want to go to LFG, that's fine. Organise some games with some regulars here. They have houses or there's Jolt, Guild or the local pub if no one wants to host. It can be done without co-opting GLOG out from under Rene.

I don't understand the entitlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not people falling over themselves to help from what I can see. Looks to be just me.

It's no threat to my "right to game for free". I pay at cancon because their library is great. The latest games from Essen don't interest me.

I rarely get free time. I am free that Saturday. I like games in the library. I'm willing to run it for all those keen for games and those who have also locked that date in. I've enjoyed all my previous meet ups and it's the least I can do for others who also prefer, and enjoys, games in the library.

It will have no impact on anyone that doesn't want to go. It keeps the event running. With no impact on you whatsoever.

More gaming is better than less gaming.

This is all getting real weird.

Gamers complaining about gaming.

Crossy wrote:
This appears to have escalated somewhat - I don't quite understand how GLOG being cancelled one month has turned into this.

It's simple

- there is another bigger gaming event on that week. So the other event is paid (just like about every other convention/event ever) - lots of ppl who normally go to GLOG will go there instead - new Essen releases to try. Keeping GLOG running that weekend is almost like trying to run GLOG during Cancon (which incidentally you pay for if you use the gaming space)
- arranging another week takes a lot of effort
- decided to cancel
- it will be back in December

Now ppl are all of a sudden falling over themselves to offer to step up and run the event as there seems to be a feeling this is some kind of threat to their right to game for free (?).

I think it is positive thing we have a potentially new significant gaming event happening in Canberra - and it looks worthy of support in my opinion.

If GLOG being cancelled for one month bothers you so much just check out all the other free events in Canberra - they are pinned in this forum.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All getting weirder now.

There is no sense of entitlement from me. Spending a whole day picking up the glog game library, setting up, playing host, teaching newbies games, packing up and returning the games just to keep glog alive for November while many are off elsewhere doesn't display a sense of entitlement to me.

I've offered to help and people are going strange. I suspect it will be getting stranger still.

AztecTwoStep wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:

The problem is you're going about it in a way that's a bit of a screw you to the bloke who made it happen in the first place.

It's completely understandable why Rene wants to throw some support behind LFG Canberra. More gaming events in Canberra is a good thing.

If you don't want to go to LFG, that's fine. Organise some games with some regulars here. They have houses or there's Jolt, Guild or the local pub if no one wants to host. It can be done without co-opting GLOG out from under Rene.

I don't understand the entitlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueMountain wrote:
It's not people falling over themselves to help from what I can see. Looks to be just me.

You clearly haven't read the October thread I linked to above. Others offered to help there too, until they understood the reason for the cancelation. The conversation has already been had. If it had been cancelled due to no one being available to run it, then great, go ahead and volunteer to run it. But it was cancelled because Rene decided to not hold GLOG the same weekend as LFG. You can't volunteer to change that decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tegs wrote:
BlueMountain wrote:

You clearly haven't read the October thread I linked to above. Others offered to help there too, until they understood the reason for the cancelation. The conversation has already been had. If it had been cancelled due to no one being available to run it, then great, go ahead and volunteer to run it. But it was cancelled because Rene decided to not hold GLOG the same weekend as LFG. You can't volunteer to change that decision.
there is no conversation when it is being told what will happen regardless of everything.

I'm still keen to help out for those with no interest in, no awareness of etc the other event.

It will have no impact on those who don't wanna go to the library. You will all be ok and you will enjoy the other event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As we all know, community is everything in the board game world.

So perhaps this is a great opportunity for LFG reps reading this to let gamers know they have no issues with a small community board game event from taking place on its scheduled date and cancellation isn't necessary.

So, LFG folk, are you ok with a much loved community event continuing as planned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure Paul, lets ratchet this right up to Vesuvian levels.
Take a look at the thumbs you're getting with your replies, Donuts!

What the hell are you doing.
I think your missing everything people are trying to tell you....

Rene's created GLOG from scratch and MOST of us are just showing him the respect he deserves, by supporting his decision.
NO GLOG in November.....

Whatever rebellion your trying to lead here will, die on the vine.

And by your actions of now publicly asking for LFG for you to run the GLOG, is absolute disgrace, and a slap in the face to Rene and what he has created.

You keep talking about community, but you keep going/acting against it.
WTF?

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.