$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
$15.00
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a game of deduction, but after reading the definition of both types, I can see it going both ways. Just curious as I would like to use the game as a demonstration about the way we reason.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand the terms, it's inductive. You use the emerging data to form a hypothesis. You don't have the luxury of saying,"I hypothesize that Don is a spy. Let's put him on a mission and find out," which would be deductive - form a theory and test it.

I'm sure others can give you a more satisfying and complete answer though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it'll have a mixture of both. Sure, you'll be using inductive and probabilistic reasoning to make guesses about who is likely a spy. This will be based on their mannerisms, past behaviour, team choices etc. As these inferences could be mistaken, they are inductive.

But there are also deductive elements as well. You may send a team of three (including yourself), and know that one is Resistance (if you're Merlin, for example). If the mission fails, you can use a disjunctive syllogism to confirm that the third member is a spy. Undoubtedly you could find other deductive patterns in the reasoning in Resistance, like hypothetical syllogisms or modus tollens (If this team has no spies, then the mission will succeed. The mission failed. Therefore, there is a spy on the team).

Like most arguments, though, Resistance is a mixture of both. Generally you'll have inductively supported (probabilistic) sentences forming the premises of a deductive argument pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely deductive moments. E.g. - six player game, two fails on the first mission, you can make deductions. (extreme example)

The puzzles in this paper are all deductive: http://faculty.taylor.edu/drthompson/resistancearguments.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Why The Resistance is so great is that it allows enough evidence, rather than hunches, to become pervasive.

I am a deductive thinker and use a lot of rhetorical techniques in social deduction games. I think The Resistance works because it allows gamers - who are often less rhetorical and more analytical - to 'trump' the style-merchants like me and prove an argument.

If anything, the tension is between the early game power of deduction leading to the late game inevitability of an inductive outcome. It's probably why new players need to see the value in rejecting teams to gain more information (to build the inductive position).

When I fail as The Resistance, I always feel we ran out of time, whereas when I fail as the Spies I always feel as though the case was made conclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.