$35.00
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got the game and am reading the rules. What if a starting player really wants goods? Can he pass in lieu of bidding and if so can he get one of all five goods (since there are no die placed for bids)?

I realize the rule book says:

"If the starting player does not even have the potential coin stock to make any opening bid (not even with a single die), he must pass instead. The opening bid is then made by the player to his left."

And:

"After the starting player has made the opening bid, the auction round proceeds in clockwise direction. On his turn, a player must either raise the current bid or pass."

But nothing specifically says that a starting player who could bid cannot pass. Which is the same as making an opening bid of zero. And it implies it since the starting player who can't make a bid must pass. I assume this player gets one of all five goods since he passed and no die were out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to double check but I believe that the first player of a round has to make an opening bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
I'd have to double check but I believe that the first player of a round has to make an opening bid.

Yes, you appear to be correct, assuming he has the sufficient potential coin stock. Found it in the rules, in the section under "The starting player places the opening bid":

"... Now, he must make the opening bid for this auction by moving 1 or more of the rolled dice up to the bidding spaces of the bidding row."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.