Popular Tags: [View All]
michael humphreys
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want either this or Falling Sky.... or.... neither...
I so love the sounds of these... I have never played a COIN...
I like complex things but I likely have never played THIS complex.
I like Twilight Struggle, Tzolkin, Puerto Rico, Polis, Roll t t Galaxy, Robinson C, Goa, Merchant Marauders, Eclipse, and I have but not played (but thought I could handle) Conflict of Herors AtB, and Napoleons Triumph.
Sooo, I dunno.... Should I get one of these and which one if so?
I am also a good bit disturbed/concerned by a game that is out less than a year but has over 300 Rules posts/questions here on the forums already.
Is it that obtuse? Thanks for any help. I cross post onto Falling Sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Living where you're indicated as living, I think you would enjoy seeing your state on the map! Get LoD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are excellent. My suggestion would be to buy the one with the theme that interests you the most. or both? ;-)

The games are both extremely playable and there are no functional problem in the rules. The posts result from the complex nature of the game, learning questions, and debates over what each mechanism means in relation to history.

HB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let the rules questions throw you. They seem to be mostly questions about how the bots work.

The rules are very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never played a COIN game in my life before I picked up Liberty or Death. A cursory read through the rulebook followed by walking through the example, er, walkthrough in the Playbook was enough to get me going; the rules are excellent, the examples in the book are illuminating, and after my first short game playing as all 4 nations to get the hang of the commands, I was ready to graduate to the solo play with bots. It's gone swimmingly, and putting aside the question of whether you'll like the actual game, I think it's deceptively easy to learn how to play - and a great game to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit Life
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
I had never played a COIN game in my life before I picked up Liberty or Death. A cursory read through the rulebook followed by walking through the example, er, walkthrough in the Playbook was enough to get me going; the rules are excellent, the examples in the book are illuminating, and after my first short game playing as all 4 nations to get the hang of the commands, I was ready to graduate to the solo play with bots. It's gone swimmingly, and putting aside the question of whether you'll like the actual game, I think it's deceptively easy to learn how to play - and a great game to boot.

My thoughts on it exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy part of COIN games - each player only has a choice of seven things to do during a turn. Four different Operations and three Special Actions. These seven options are completely defined on the player aid card.

The hard part of COIN games - each player has seven different choices. Sometimes the choices are very similar (e.g. one player can perform an operation anywhere on the map, another player can only do the operation in some locations) and sometimes the options are completely different but still well defined.

The result is it is relatively easy for a player to play the game. But it is more difficult to teach the game because you have to teach four different sets of options. And it is relatively difficult to learn to play a different Faction in the next game because you've got a different set of options.

But it is definitely worth it. IMO not any harder than the other games you named (I've played most). And easier than Napoleon's Triumph because you've got one of the best player aids around.

As for a choice between LoD or Falling Sky, my choice would be Falling Sky. LoD felt like an ahisotircal military shootout between the colonists and the British. And Falling Sky seemed quicker paced to me. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williams
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
...walking through the example, er, walkthrough in the Playbook was enough to get me going; the rules are excellent, the examples in the book are illuminating, and after my first short game playing as all 4 nations to get the hang of the commands, I was ready to graduate to the solo play with bots. It's gone swimmingly, and putting aside the question of whether you'll like the actual game, I think it's deceptively easy to learn how to play - and a great game to boot.

For the OP, my experience is similar to this. I had played one game of all-bot Fire in the Lake, so I had some experience with the COIN system. With both Fire in the Lake and Liberty or Death I was able to setup the play-through and take off from there, referencing the rules as they came up.

The bots are really awesome for learning play. Follow the flow chart, look up the specific action required of the bot flow chart, and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.